5 Replies - 3585 Views - Last Post: 05 June 2018 - 04:43 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Internship phone interview follow up email?

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:08 AM

I had a phone interview for summer internship back on May 23rd. He said they were still getting things set up for having an internship position at their new office near me, the person managing it just getting in that week. All during the call seemed to go really well. The person I talked to told me they would get back to me this week, giving me an update on what was going on. Now Saturday and I haven't heard anything back.

As was initially contacted by email, I was wondering if I should send them an email that's basically along the lines of "Just wanted to check in on the position, as you said you'd get back to me this week. I know you are just getting things set up, and this was a holiday week so that's understandable if you were't able to or have no updates yet. I'm really interest in this position so I just wanted to keep in touch."

Is this a good to do? At least assuming I can managed to refine those sentences into a more formal and appropriate form... Should I wait bit longer if so?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Internship phone interview follow up email?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Internship phone interview follow up email?

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:51 AM

I would go phone call route.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:54 AM

Personally I would go email route first and if you still don't hear from them then go the phone call route. Answering a phone call these days is not what people like to do and may seem a little pushy. I would also also probably take out the part about "you said you would get back to me". There is a time to apply pressure but since you don't know all the moving parts here this isn't the time to be pushy yet. They may have simply forgotten or was meaning to get back to you, but an emergency happened.

One thing to understand about companies is that deadlines and promises slip all the time. I get a half a dozen a week and often if you just send a nicely worded email even letting them know you are interested and still alive is enough to invoke a response from them. The last thing you want to do is come off pushy since they will be working with you. They want to know you are someone that is willing to bend a little to their schedule and timelines.

Obviously if they still don't answer in a few business days, then you up the pressure with a phone call. But this is just me looking in. Follow what feels right given the situation. You often catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:10 AM

I would do a quick email. I have had companies take 3 months to call me back when they initially needed someone to start the following week. Things change, budgets change, priorities change. A quick email is less intrusive than a call, and lets them get back to you without putting them on the spot that second, which if they are on the fence, could mean they go the other direction.

Also, when you contact them, you are doing a reminder that you are still interested; not a, when am I starting.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:07 PM

Thank you to all who answered. Sent the email, got response, and things seem to be moving along positively! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:43 PM

Good to hear that. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1