5 Replies - 1311 Views - Last Post: 03 August 2018 - 08:35 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Help with understanding of basic i/o

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

I'm not sure where I should put this so hopefully this will be the right place.

So I am sort of an intermediate coder right now, but I still don't really understand how everything in a computer works. I'd like to know the basic path from power outlet to an actual working program. I DO understand that it is all binary and transistors, as well as all the actual parts and functions of computers like RAM, power supplies, and motherboards, but I don't understand the whole process from what you have to do to get from lets say your motherboard to a working application that runs smoothly. I kind of learn by doing. So if there is something like an arduino I could get that would help me understand hardware and software better than I would love to get one of those. I think it would really help me out and be cool to put together my own motherboard and a basic BIOS, though I realize I probably don't have those skills yet. It's hard to sort through google and youtube to find what I want, I just want a really solid explanation of this that I can then test out myself like with an arduino or something similar. I know it sounds kind of silly that I feel the need to make my own computer from scratch to truly understand it but like I said I learn best by doing.

Are there do it yourself motherboard/pc kits?

Thanks in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help with understanding of basic i/o

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Help with understanding of basic i/o

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:14 PM

For instance I know what motherboards in general do but I don't know what each part does at the binary level.

(after thought)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:13 PM

I am not getting what you are looking for. What you mention looks to cover computer architecture, and electronic engineering.

Things like an arduinio already have the chip and board assembled for you. You certainly can look into making a virtual CPU (CA mentioned above), or the layout of an electronics board (EE).. not sure if either will help make you a better programmer if you are not passionate about them, but are things you could learn.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:51 PM

You should check out a free coursera.org MOOC called Nand to Tetris.

It is a project based course that will walk you through building a virtual computer starting at the metal components, constructing a virtual cpu and memory, building an assembler, all the way through making a compiler for a Java-like language and its respective intermediate byte code (you actually have to program these for the course), you are tasked with writing a game in this language, and writing system libraries for this language. For some it may be a little more intensive than the course promises, but it's really great.

OR

If you want something a little more physical check out Ben Eater's series on youtube for making an 8-bit breadboard cpu from electronic components. Where nand to tetris really falls short is the concept of clock cycles and in this series it's much more important. But following along with this will cost you money for all the components.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

Hey! Thanks for the help Victor! That is what I had in mind!

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 23 July 2018 - 06:31 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed unnecessary quote. No need to quote the post above yours.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:35 AM

I also wrote tutorials on here about super low level stuff that I never finished actually and I should go do that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1