• D.I.C Head

• View blog

difference between apache, tomcat and xampp

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:16 PM

So... what's the difference?

Things I know,

Apache - http server

Tomcat - http server, java servlet

Xampp - mixture of Apache, php etc together in one app but has limited customization.

So.. what are these and why do we need this? still confused..
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: difference between apache, tomcat and xampp

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: difference between apache, tomcat and xampp

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:28 PM

** Moved to Web Servers & Hosting **

XAMP is a collection of hosting services to handle requests to port 80/443 (Apache), Database (MySql) & Server Side Processing (PHP).
Apache is the webserver that binds ports 80 & 443, & answers them with requests.
TomCat is a service for hosting Java services.

Why do you need this? Unless you are hosting your own website, webserver, or Java App, you don't. If you have a website or Java app, you can get a host that handles this part of the process for you, so you don't have to learn & execute an entire separate wing of Computer Engineering.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: difference between apache, tomcat and xampp

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:33 PM

Do you know how HTTP works? You need a server, to well, serve requests from the client. That means listening on some port for connections and dispatching the incoming requests to the relevant handler in your application and then sending the response back to the client.

I can comment on Tomcat at least, having used it a bit and currently working on the JVM. For Java web apps, it used to be the case that they required configuration in a file called web.xml (or possibly via annotations, I'm not sure) and would not have a main method like, say, console apps. You'd then package them up in a WAR (web archive) and deploy them to an application server like Tomcat. I'm sure you can still do that, but these days, it's also possible to embed an HTTP server in your application and just write a web app as a regular app (i.e. one with a main method), with no need for an app server. This is the approach several of the frameworks we're using take (granted, we're doing mostly Scala and Kotlin with little plain Java left) and they're usually embedding Jetty.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1