1 Replies - 1187 Views - Last Post: 08 July 2018 - 01:06 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Particular books / courses

Post icon  Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:17 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to Java, I've been working with C# / .NET for a while.

I'm looking for material to learn Java, but preferably not all the basic "how to program" stuff but rather all that is Java-specific. For instance, all the configuration, Java beans, the DI libraries, Maven and preferably how JBOSS / deployment of web applications works.

I don't know how to put this concisely. I guess I'm looking for something that shows me the main differences between Java development and C# development. What's different between IIS and JBOSS, Nuget and Maven. Perhaps Gradle as well.

Do you have any suggestions?

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 07 July 2018 - 06:34 PM
Reason for edit:: Featured

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Particular books / courses

#2 ndc85430   User is online

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Particular books / courses

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:06 AM

I don't know about materials covering differences between Java web development and C# web development, specifically, but is that really necessary? By working in some ecosystem (C# in your case), you've gathered a lot of transferable knowledge. Sure, the tools, etc. might be a bit different but if you've been doing this for a while, you should be able to pick up new stuff relatively quickly by leaning on what you've done before.

A few things also came to mind:

1. These days, Java doesn't really mean just Java. Several other languages are available on the JVM. Scala, Kotlin, Groovy and Clojure are amongst those, so you have choice there too.

2. You mention IIS and JBoss, the latter being an application server on to which you deploy your web apps. This is not the only way to do it. It is also common to embed an HTTP server in the application itself and many of the web frameworks for the languages I listed above do exactly that (searching GitHub for example will find you plenty of frameworks in the different languages).
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1