3 Replies - 560 Views - Last Post: 12 July 2018 - 08:16 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Determination.

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:21 PM

I consider programming a way of solving intricate problems, art and financial arguments (Well, sometimes). When I first got immersed in Computer Science (the mathematical parts), I loved it but I hated the programming side of it because I always thought it would never help me and it wouldn't be imperative in this world. After a bit of research, I realised programming was a big part of a Computer so I started Programming and learning languages. After that, I loved programming and front-end Computer Science simultaneously. Well, the hard part was that when I'm learning a language, I always get sick of it and decide to re-adapt to another
language. This has happened to in every language except my first but it's difficult for me to achieve determination continuously.

How do you have the determination and willpower to learn a new language?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Determination.

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Determination.

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:24 PM

Languages are tools in your toolbox. If you have a project that would be better suited for another language then that's the toll to pay the ferryman. Certain you can beat a non-optimal language to your usage (see the idjets that try and have assembly in web pages), which may very well work, but that goes around the issue of wanting to get a project done and not dicker around with a language.

Also there's a bit about getting the sand out and traversing out of your comfort zone.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:28 PM

I am a bit surprised to hear that you didn't think programming was going to imperative to this world yet computer science was. For as long as computers have been around programming has been there to create the instructions they run on. But anyways, glad you came around to see programming's value.

As for your question about determination and willpower to learn a new language, well... you make it fun of course. When you make things fun and interesting then you learn all sorts of things faster. Want to learn a new spoken language? Learn funny sentences or watch tv shows that you really like with subtitles on.

If it is fun then it really is never an issue about willpower or determination. You want to do it. Sometimes I ask myself "How would I read a file in Python?" and then I go and learn the code it takes to do just that. Then of course after you write it you ask "Well what if I was to write a file?" and then "Now that I can read and write files, what about CSV files? Or send a file over the net to someone else or write an HTML doc in response to some command" and you add code, see what works and what doesn't. All in the course of fun, exploration and a series of "What if?"

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 baavgai   User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:16 AM

A new language is a new toy to play with. The farther away that language is from others I've encountered, the better.

It's not the language itself, but the challenge of making the language do what you need to do. Even a language you don't really care for can offer a degree of satisfaction when you make it actually do what you're after.

You can't learn a language in a vacuum, just to learn it. You need to have something to do with it. If you're learning, doing something you've already done in another language can teach you a lot.

I find it more fun to have a project before I have a language. For instance, write a tic-tac-toe game in language X. You don't know squat about language X, but you have a good idea what you need for the game. So, you figure out display, structures, data types, conditions, etc, on your way to the result.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1