6 Replies - 530 Views - Last Post: 04 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Opinions on pixel perfect development

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:29 AM

Hello,

As a junior developer working within the public sector i would like to get thoughts about pixel perfect development. My boss expects websites to be built using exact margin's paddings e.t.c. He dislikes the use of css frameworks such as bootstrap and foundation as he insists on using em units his argument is to make elements scalable to the parent elements, i would have thought that this is also achieved with frameworks.

My opinion on pixel perfection is that this is an old concept which has no place in development, the end user doesn't care of accuracy of elements. They are more concerned whether it looks nice, its engaging and fit for their use.

I would be interested to get your opinions on this topic.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Opinions on pixel perfect development

#2 Salem_c   User is online

• void main'ers are DOOMED
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Opinions on pixel perfect development

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:24 AM

• You don't know the platform (desktop, phone, tablet, etc etc)
  • You don't know the OS (Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, etc etc)
  • You don't know the Browser (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc etc ad-nauseam)
  • You don't know the screen resolution (or even orientation)
  • You don't know the window size (which can be changed on a whim by the user)

The world has moved on considerably since you could reasonably assume that the OS was windows, the browser was internet exploiter, and the screen resolution was 1024x768.

Survey common websites and find out whether they use CSS to do all the heavy work of making a website usable across a wide range of devices.
Can you even find any which take a 'roll your own approach' to hard-coded formatting?

https://medium.com/a...rs-5226febe3525

> As a junior developer working within the public sector
Are your employers (aka tax payers) getting value for money for all this needless micro-management of a few pixels?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:54 AM

Hello Salem_c,

Thank you for your reply and contribution, you have made some strong valid points as to justify why pixel perfect is a bad idea.
I don't see how the employer sees value in this methodology, come new year im hoping to work for an employer that understands
web development.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:27 AM

It's tough when you're in a junior position and you have a boss who has ideas that are both wrong and strong. There's not a lot you can do on your own, but if you want you can try to make an argument for delivering "MVP" (minimum viable product) before trying to perfect it. That's a pretty standard practice in business
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2018 - 01:37 AM

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your feedback, its difficult to impose your opinions when you are a newbie in the team, some people would see expressing the same views that i share with you as spreading negativity within the organisation, with public sector organisations they are set in their ways. As a consultant officially they are not my employer but a client. I think i will have to tolerate their bad practices, unlearn what they teach me after office hours and request that my employer gives me a mission with a new client in the new year.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:33 AM

That's completely idiotic. The frameworks make them scalable to their parent components. I believe said boss just doesn't understand what those frameworks even are and is poopooing them based off of a preconceived notion. This is stupid. You should have tech talks with your supervisor and his supervisor about various technologies and their pros/cons. We have "lunch n lerns" that I threw together in my team, and people who have some knowledge of different technologies teach a little presentation on it. We also have "chapter meetings" for our "guild chapters" where we discuss pain points affecting our jobs and performances, so we can remove blockers and be more efficient. It's done wonders. Like the devs will have a chapter meeing, automation devs will have one, etc. Try setting something up like this. This will show you're a go getter and you're thinking about employee effectiveness and productivity. I'm sure the higher ups will appreciate it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

There are still some appropriate places for pixel perfection even in web based platforms: Consider the ongoing saga in Chrome about how many pixels below text underlines should should up, and whether those underlines are are supposed to cross the descenders or not.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Or content that eventually makes it to the web: What would happen to Photoshop if they stopped doing pixel perfection on where effects are applied?

I believe that pixel perfection still expected on the desktop and consolses: What would happen to video games developers started saying that users will get 200 times faster refresh rates by simply turning off anti-aliasing and mipmapping?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1