5 Replies - 470 Views - Last Post: 06 August 2018 - 12:03 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Feeling stuck...

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:44 PM

Hi guys

2nd post here! I'll use this as some sort of introduction..

I've been working as a Software Engineer since I graduated, around 4-5 years ago. And it was fun, and interesting.. at the beginning.
I mean, I really like coding and everything related. But I'm starting to thing that I need to change ASAP, otherwise I guess I'm gonna be trapped here forever.

During this time, I've been doing pretty much the same.. More maintenance/bugfixing than real development from scratch, always using the same two languages: Java and C++. Python sometimes but not that much. So I would say I'm confident with them right now. My actual problem is that when I look at job offers.. it's just crazy the amount of different frameworks and stuff you are expected to know for a non-beginner position. And in the job I have right now I'm just using pure C++ and Java + swing..

So, I've been involved in some processes since I started looking for a new position, and I feel like the recruiters always find the same issues. Like.. oh, you know, maintaining code is not the same than design and implementation (and they are right).. and you don't have real working experience with <random item of the java stack like Spring or hibernate>

So I really don't know how to overcome this. Any suggestion? I cannot give them the real working experience they are looking for, do I need to look for a junior position again? :sad2: I've been wasting my time?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Feeling stuck...

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Feeling stuck...

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:31 PM

Well keep in mind that if you are still learning new things, you are never standing still. If you are doing Java and C++ at work, go home and pick a project to do in your own time that is completely different like Ruby or Python. At least that way when you do want to change jobs, you will have experience in other languages and tools.

Also keep in mind that job postings always ask for 10 different things when really they want only a handful of things. I have seen jobs ask for like 10 languages and the actual job only really deals with two. They want to know you understand the concepts of other languages more than if you know the languages themselves sometimes. Also don't forget that a job may take someone who is 75% of the way there and train you the additional 25%.

But again, as long as you keep learning something, you will never be locked into anything. Sometimes you have to learn on your own, but that is part of the job as a programmer. Always pushing forward. It can be a grind sometimes, but always keep it fun by picking fun projects and you will continuously learn and time will pass quickly. Don't give up. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

Perhaps start by getting your current joint to give you a small, new code, project? Get that on your resume and then bounce.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:09 AM

i know how you feel. when i started at my current company i coded all the time then i was moved to a different position. i havent coed in 3 years however having been moved screwed me over because as a father of 2 kids, i dont have the time to code at night so doing the extra to relearn things is impossible. I am pretty much stuck with almost no way out-- recruiters tend to shy away from you when you say you havent done xx in x amount of years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:16 AM

Obvious answer - sell one of the kids, or ship both to a military school. That frees up time.

Alternative - train one, or both, to do the learning for you, give you the executive summary highlights, and boom - you are back in the game.

Obviously both are super viable answers.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#6 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:03 PM

View PostJarzur, on 05 August 2018 - 08:44 PM, said:

So I really don't know how to overcome this. Any suggestion? I cannot give them the real working experience they are looking for, do I need to look for a junior position again? :sad2:/> I've been wasting my time?

Experience as a software engineer and experience with a particular tech stack are distinct things. If you have experience as a software engineer, then you are an asset even if you have to learn some new technology on the job, and if you have spent time learning about those technologies then you can be expected to be up and productive in them without too much ramp time. Reasonable employers will understand this and bring you on expecting that you'll come up to speed within a reasonable time frame.

So based on what you've said, I would say that you are going to be a good asset for some organization, and it's just (as always) a matter of finding the right position in the right organization. This is exactly what recruiters are for, so if the ones you've been talking to are not able to solve this problem perhaps you should talk to different recruiters, or to go out and seek the opportunities you want by other means. ( <--- modi, this is your cue)

You don't say where you're located, but here in Boston we've had a lot of luck hiring through tech meetups. The logic being, if you want to find interesting and motivated developers, you're likely to find them in a room full of people who get together to socialize and talk about the tech they use. If there are technologies you have been learning, or that you want to learn, try to find or start a meetup in your area and see if anything good comes of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1