4 Replies - 597 Views - Last Post: 28 August 2018 - 09:09 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is this undergraduate research position worth it for me?

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:44 AM

Hello I’m thinking of doing an unpaid research job that is based on Physics though I have no interest in Physics. I need to get an internship next summer since it is the last summer before I graduate and I'm hoping on getting a user experience engineering internship in Google hopefully through a referral. This research will require “some programming” and would require using Linux but mostly we’ll be studying Physics. It would require a 1 hour meeting and 3-4 hours of studying per week. The only reason I'm considering doing this research is because it might increase my chances of getting a good internship since I don't have an internship or research on my resume yet. But I'm afraid of wasting my time on learning a topic that I have no interest in and that I could spend my time on doing a good side project instead. I'm really torn about this decision and it is really stressing me out. Will it look good on my resume and help me with my job prospects?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is this undergraduate research position worth it for me?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is this undergraduate research position worth it for me?

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:33 PM

If you don't want to do physics then don't. Go find an internship elsewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:27 PM

In addition to what Modi said, don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Look for paid internship opportunities beyond just Google and other big companies like Facebook/Amazon/etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:30 AM

Hello,

Looks like you mentioned that you are not interested in physics... as modi123_1 and macosxnerd101 mentioned, it would not be worth it for you. During the research period, you might totally lose interest in the research and that would not be good (you know the feeling of being forced to do something that you don't like to).

As I am not sure if the research position is in an academic setting (universities) or industry, I will mainly focus on the academic setting i.e., undergraduate research position at universities. From my experience, undergraduate research position is to instill and introduce an academic research culture to the senior undergraduate. It is hoped that, he/she will have a general idea on what to expect for a masters research or a PhD research. Usually, this is for those undergrads that are keen on continuing to a Masters or PhD but are unsure what to expect.

That being said, if you are not interested in research (and obviously your are not interested in the physics based research being offered) and you are more keen to go into industry, suggestion by macosxnerd101 is the right way in my opinion.

Hope it helps

This post has been edited by tarmizi_adam2005: 28 August 2018 - 08:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:09 AM

You want to get a job, in order to get an internship?
Isn't that sort of backwards?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1