Ermahgerd! What are you even working on, like, right now?

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

213 Replies - 5230 Views - Last Post: Today, 02:25 PM

• Unprocessable Entity
  • member icon

• View blog

Ermahgerd! What are you even working on, like, right now?

Post icon  Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:35 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 12 December 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

Please, regale us with tales of today's adventures and exploits.

This is a continuation of the discussion topic, previous link here.

What'ya got goin' on?

The last post for reference:

View PostBetaWar, on 29 August 2018 - 03:18 AM, said:

Rewrote my socket write logic to make use of iovec, managed to increase the speed of my web server (round trip) by over 2x. Things that were previously taking >100ms to respond are now <50ms. I think I can further increase the performance improvement by rewriting my read logic in a similar fashion.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Ermahgerd! What are you even working on, like, right now?

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ermahgerd! What are you even working on, like, right now?

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:20 AM

Shit we hit the limit again! Time fly's when you BS with online cohorts!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:49 AM

Trying to get a test written to slip one more feature in under the wire before the sprint closes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:57 AM

Today is going to be filled with research and troubleshooting.

During the testing of my new shipping build out, the process to the accounting system failed. The weird part is, it failed because the item being shipped didn't have a lot number associated to it, though it isn't lot controlled. Further exasperating this, the lot numbers are missing from those transfers in most of the dev and qc log requests.

For the former... Our shipping system is a true to life dumpster fire. I am tasked, partially of my own volition and partially requested of me, to figure out how I can refactor in place to make it better. In place, because they would like it redone, and we are not budgeted for that extreme at this point. So, scanning through where I can make changes that will make it more extendable. We have some stupid items too, like a 200+ line switch statement that is duplicated in at least 3 locations. Or stored procedures that are too specific: such as getting items from inventory, we have a procedure for that. This system uses two different one - neither what the rest of the system utilizes. There are 6 different methods for sending requests to one of the systems that needs updating, rather than a single point of entry you need to figure out which gets called - and they all do the same thing.

I am looking forward to being the architect of the new system, but I am waiting for push back just the same. Shit does not change as it should in large corporations, even when it is highly needed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:12 AM

In my experience, a rewrite is almost always a mistake. Rewriting locks you into a long cycle of promise without delivery, and by the time something delivers, nobody cares anymore. Best-case, you look like a jerk and the product is annoyed because they've been building up frustration at the usual rate, but you have not been satisfying at the usual rate. Worst-case, it goes sideways and you're screwed because you're the easiest target. Not to mention, all the usual arguments about how 90% of any system that's in service is actually correct, and throwing it away throws away everything that's right about it, in addition to the 10% that's wrong, etc. (Spolsky makes this case in much more detail)

My advice: Do enough refactor to make it workable, then fix whatever behavior is causing people a headache right now, then go fix the next thing that someone cares about. That way you get to be the hero, which is always fun.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:37 AM

I would tend to agree, but this is an exceptional case. My boss wants it to be database driven for starters, which the current codebase doesn't support, and can't without major modification. Add to that, way too much is going on for what it should do, and almost all of it is in the wrong location. We have business logic spread through all the tiers. The largest caveat is just that it isn't expandable. Any time we want to add a new system or shipping location, it is a painful month+ long process.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:37 AM

Never ending hunt for test data. Super tired, had to get up extra early to take DQ to work, so now I'm dead. Also have my first hw due at 2pm today and I'm not done. Idk how I feel about this semester so far.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:43 AM

A little pissy I am not working from home today... but in theory it should be a quiet day to get a large swath of testing done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:20 PM

I emailed professor about the process for turning in assignments since I cannot attend class and he never responded. I just scanned in and emailed him the homework and he said no it doesn't count since I'm supposed to be in class and turn it in on paper. WTF? I didn't see the email until 230, 10 mins after it's due, and he doesn't accept late homework even if I do leave work an hour early to turn it in during office hours. Ugh! I hope he sees that I tried to turn it in and lets me slip it under his door. I'm already at a disadvantage with the automatic -10% for attendance, I don't need a 0 on my first assignment too.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 29 August 2018 - 12:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:39 PM

Neo, did you get into the class knowing it was going to be during your work day? Or did he change the time after you registered for the course? I wasn't sure I saw what you said about why the mix up. If he changed the time, he should accommodate you. If you went into it knowing it would be in the work day, you can't ask for much slack really can you?

As for today I just finished the initial commit and deployment of the company's new website to a staging server. Now begins the process of Q&A, fixing little bugs and getting things working from an operational standpoint.

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 29 August 2018 - 12:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:41 PM

That is a fucked up situation. That was one reason I left school: if you were a working adult you were penalized in favor of people that just attended school. Of course, my instructor had never worked a day outside of academia (and was a huge bitch) too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:07 PM

I went into it knowing I couldn't attend. When he acknowledged my situation he never mentioned that the homework was paper only, and normally other classes' assignments were dropbox submission. I emailed him the day before but he never responded. So, no, I can't really ask for too much, but I was just freaking out because he never responded until it was already too late.

Also they finally got dude's mugshot in the system, he was our coworker after all.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 29 August 2018 - 01:09 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:43 AM

New boss allows me to voice my opinions in meetings without repercussions. Even if my opinions are different from his and his boss's opinions. New Boss +1.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:09 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 30 August 2018 - 07:43 AM, said:

New boss allows me to voice my opinions in meetings without repercussions. Even if my opinions are different from his and his boss's opinions. New Boss +1.

That's a great feeling. I get that too and cherish the hell out of it. I'm happy for you!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:51 AM

I have real trouble understanding a boss who doesn't want their team to have opinions. I mean, you've hired these people because they're smart and well-informed, right? Why not take advantage of that?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »