Ermahgerd! What are you even working on, like, right now?

• (83 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

1230 Replies - 32241 Views - Last Post: Today, 09:29 AM

#1171 h4nnib4l   User is online

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ermahgerd! What are you even working on, like, right now?

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

View PostBetaWar, on 11 January 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

They don't seem to understand that when everything is a fire, nothing is, and me, as a dev, will just ignore their priorities and do what I think is best.

So much this. I have 3 priority 1 projects from different VPs. So I'm prioritizing by mixing time-to-market and how interesting I find the project. If they have a problem with my prioritization, they can go back into a conference room and not come out until they agree on one.

It doesn't help that the business in general doesn't like to spend money on IT projects until there are production outages that are visible at the VP level, so in a lot of cases everything really is a fire.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#1172 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:23 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 11 January 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

I have major issues with devs not putting their notes in the defects

My fixes are commented in the code with ticket numbers. My ticket notes identify generally what I did to what file/method and then the ticket is clearly documented and enough for the people that need to review tickets and the full explanation is in the code for the dev.

Also helps to understand what changes happened where/when if you're reviewing code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#1173 BetaWar   User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:41 PM

If the fix was relatively small, I will sometimes put the exact patch in the defect for future reference. I also make sure that part of the title on the commit for all my work includes the ticket/ bug it was for. That way, you can look through the repo later and understand exactly why something was implemented.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:46 PM

Omg one of the contractor testers had wonky monitors. 1 was too red, 1 was too blue. I sent her a site with calibration pics. She sent me a screenshot of our app saying "this is what my screen looks like now, thanks". *facepalm* I'm gonna be nice and not call her out on it, but like, that's not how that works. That's like taking a screenshot on your phone to send to someone to show how cracked your screen is.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 11 January 2019 - 02:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#1175 ArtificialSoldier   User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

Well, it was nice knowing everyone. Boss decided to free up some disk space on the project site web server and deleted the entire project site. Off to check for backups. Hopefully I'm home by Monday.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#1176 BetaWar   User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:44 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear that @ArtificialSoldier.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#1177 ArtificialSoldier   User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

False alarm. This is why my beard is gray.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#1178 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:33 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 11 January 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

I put too many details in my defects, including screen shots, test data, the exact steps and buttons I clicked, etc. People, devs mainly, still ask me, because they're too lazy to read it or they think it's too specific and just want the sparknotes. ://>

I love written details. Tell me more, the more the better. You know what I love about them? Every word that you add cost you something to add it. You had to choose to put it in, and what's more, you had to transform an external reality about the world into words on a page. Some selection process went on. I can totally work with that.

What I don't love is when people attach a little screencap video. "Just watch the attachment, it's all there!"

If you can't tell me in words what went wrong, you need to find another way to make your living. This might be difficult, though - the only reliable direction I can see for you would be mime, not known to be a lucrative endeavor.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#1179 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:41 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 12 January 2019 - 12:33 AM, said:

If you can't tell me in words what went wrong...

It just doesn't work. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:45 PM

Just woken up. Reading more about the nightmare that is Brexit. Wondering whether bobsmith76 will be back and take the advice we've given him. Not looking forward to the next couple days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#1181 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:59 PM

I just saw that Michael Atiyah, a famous mathematician, passed away yesterday. :(

Atiyah's major contributions are in geometry, topology, and mathematical physics. He also co-authored the standard text for commutative algebra. Earlier in 2018, Atiyah also claimed to have solved the Riemann Hypothesis, which is one of the seven millennium problems. While it is unlikely that Atiyah actually proved the Riemann Hypothesis, I very much suspect he produced some good results in his attempt.

Some articles on Aityah's claimed proof of the Riemann Hypothesis:
https://blogs.ams.or...ann-hypothesis/
https://rjlipton.wor...-atiyahs-proof/

RIP Michael Atiyah:
https://www.wired.co...-quantum-union/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#1182 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:40 AM

My team is out because they didn't want to drive on the roads... My junior dev isn't due until 8, so I might not be totally without stuff to do... unless he doesn't show either.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:44 AM

View PostTechnoBear, on 11 January 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

View PostNeoTifa, on 11 January 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

I put too many details in my defects, including screen shots, test data, the exact steps and buttons I clicked, etc.

This would be perfect for me, in fact anything beyond "It produces a soft 500 error" would be fantastic.

I give each page of code that returns some sort of calculated result a code name (ie, "detail," "spark," "canyon," etc.). I keep a text file on my desktop, backed up to Box, with a list of the code names and which specific files they refer to. All of my error messages are constructed of CodeName-LineNumber-ErrorCode so when someone runs into an issue they can email me something like, "I got an error on X page. It says to send you the code canyon-122-37B."

Then I pull up my text file, find the file corresponding to "canyon," head to line 122, find 37B and read my note regarding what the actual issue should be. It might be "User failed to enter parameter: time" or "Query returned null result: personnel_query."

It works surprisingly well. And when I get a message that says "I got an error on page X" with no additional details, I can come back with, "You'll have to recreate the error. When an error occurs, there's a specific code that appears on the screen with a message to contact me with that code. Without the code, I'm afraid diagnosing your issue will be near impossible as there are nearly 10,000 pages of code to sift through without additional details." 90% of the time, they'll come back with the code. The other 10%, they'll respond with "Weird, it's working now."

I only really run into major issues when it's a HTTP status code - 400, 402, 500, 502 in particular.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#1184 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:01 AM

My errors give method name, class name, line number, and error. However, if they don't supply me with the output I can't see it and if they don't give me anything more than "soft 500" (which makes no sense anyway), I cannot do much about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#1185 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:35 AM

I have no team members than made it in today, which means I have absolutely no work I can do today... This will not be fun.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (83 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »