Ermahgerd! What are you even working on, like, right now?

• (136 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

2039 Replies - 58113 Views - Last Post: 16 May 2019 - 10:08 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ermahgerd! What are you even working on, like, right now?

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:14 AM

@B9 I am happy to hear you are no longer having to put up with being put down and treated like dirt by your old boss any longer. I hope that your new boss treats you the way you deserve to be treated.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:25 AM

Here's the new thread! I thought I had killed the old one... T_T It made me sad...

See at work that everyone is going crazy because one of our server types isn't working the a new build; turns out that they forgot (again) that we have to manually recompile some drivers each time the kernel changes because our build process is incapable of doing it automatically and as such they never communicated out that this was coming. Which means now that the world is on fire and we have to "fix" it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:30 AM

Thinking a lot of design thoughts today - trying to figure out where we are on the new project and where we need to be in order to get into testing and validation mode.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:59 AM

I've been living in a very surreal work world this week. I'm dividing time equally between three different things.

The first is a 20 year old DMS that was internally developed in classic ASP, VBScript, with some Javascript and some .NET COM objects wedged in over the years - it hasn't been my problem for the years, but the person who was stuck with it left the company, and the team who was supposed to take ownership of it over a year ago has ignored it, so I'm one of two people who know anything about it, so it keeps getting on my shoes.

The second is trying to figure out how to get data out of a legacy Fortran/ISAM application cost management system in a semi-automated fashion for analytics.

The third is working with Azure Functions (Microsoft's serverless compute offering) to build a REST API to generate SAS tokens for granting timeboxed access to our Azure storage accounts for clients and JV Partners.

It's like riding in a chariot to get to a spaceship.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#20 NeoTifa   User is online

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:00 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 30 August 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

I have real trouble understanding a boss who doesn't want their team to have opinions. I mean, you've hired these people because they're smart and well-informed, right? Why not take advantage of that?

Because they're trying to take advantage of the people not the opportunities they create.

Also it looks like my professor will take my hw after all, and gave me the protocol going forward.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 30 August 2018 - 10:01 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:07 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 29 August 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

In my experience, a rewrite is almost always a mistake...

My advice: Do enough refactor to make it workable, then fix whatever behavior is causing people a headache right now, then go fix the next thing that someone cares about. That way you get to be the hero, which is always fun.

Microsoft actually has a pretty humorous take on how to manage this for applications like my aforementioned cost management system that are in need of core technology upgrades.

Strangler Pattern
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:24 AM

I LOVES IT.

I will call it Squishy and it will be mine forever and ever!!!

I am dealing with the same issue on our shipping platform. It needs an overhaul and to be burned to death, but they are worried about fallout, budgeting, and whatever else. I was told they would only budget for broken systems. Which should mean this has top priority, since 3 systems went down this morning and no one knew what systems actually caused it to fail.

I have a massage scheduled in 5,5 hours. I need to make it through a little bit longer!!!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:30 AM

Strangler is one of my favorite patterns, partly because it combines both design and implementation pattern thinking, but mostly because it allows you to focus on the thing you care most about, first.
A lot of design patterns are more ideal and idealistic, but Strangler recognizes the realities of software development

I have a massage scheduled in 5,5 hours. I need to make it through a little bit longer!!!!!

You can do it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#24 NeoTifa   User is online

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:58 PM

Actually able to do automation today. Turns out the inability to focus and apathy for my job was mostly because I was forced to manually test, which I freaking hate. I was quite content today just jamming out to my tunes and pumping out code.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:50 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 30 August 2018 - 06:51 AM, said:

I have real trouble understanding a boss who doesn't want their team to have opinions. I mean, you've hired these people because they're smart and well-informed, right? Why not take advantage of that?

Some people don't like it when their opinion isn't just considered fact. I've worked in management for a few years now across different industries and it pretty much comes down to: They think they should be right because of their title, so they don't accept a possibility they could be wrong by allowing discussion.

I see zero value in that behavior, but then again I am more of a bigger picture person than most I've come across in management.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 ArtificialSoldier   User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2018 - 10:58 AM

My productivity today is absolutely destroyed, Imgur is having problems. Guess I might as well work instead.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#27 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:01 AM

Was some issue of someone on the team being disgruntled we all don't talk and gab.. a few chuckleheads left for lunch.. I opted against my ham sammy to pull the rest of the team to head to our 'casually exotic Asian cuisine' joint.. now I am full of pan-asian food and lethargic.

Gotta remember to go buy a new Husker shirt for tomorrow.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2018 - 12:42 PM

For today I am continuing work on this new company website switch over. Boy the company they had do this very simple task of creating a WordPress theme really botched the job big time and introduced tons of layers of complexity. For a simple theme they introduced: Composer, Twig, Timber, their own custom framework, npm and all the node_modules that introduces, gulp, browsersync for dev and all this on top of the standard Wordpress platform and their dev plugins for gravity forms etc. For a damn theme for christ's sake!

Then of course I have to roll in the proprietary code from the company which consists of Oauth 2, random curl requests, integrations to 4 external websites, integration to our CRM and licensing server.

Oh and I am the only dev on the project. ;)

They are lucky I am good and things appear to be running somewhat on schedule even though I have to rip out tons of dead code.

But at least it is a 3-day weekend coming up!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 ArtificialSoldier   User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:05 PM

I like my boss, but he trips over his words sometimes. "It kind of, sorta, really has to work right."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#30 andrewsw   User is online

• quantum multiprover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:56 PM

On Wednesday I was tasked with creating a new, complicated, SPA. (I had two existing pages to merge but it was not a question of copy-paste; it was essentially a complete rewrite.)

I had to borrow and coordinate some features from jQuery UI, Kendo, using Web API's to post and parse data requiring tokens. Editing and posting HTML and, eventually, creating and downloading a Word document with another API.

I deliberately wrote a to-do list to emphasise how much work was involved. I believed I had 10 days.

Thursday morning I was asked how it was going. First thing Friday I was asked whether it was ready for testing!!! I asked what minimum functionality would be required to be considered 'ready to test'.

Anyway, I managed to publish something workable, with the majority of functionality. I refuse to be disappointed that it isn't fully complete. I am proud of what I managed to achieve with hard work, unaided, and in such a short space of time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (136 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »