2 Replies - 195 Views - Last Post: 03 September 2018 - 07:13 AM

• void main'ers are DOOMED
  • member icon

• View blog

Rapid UI prototyping tools for WxWidgets

Posted 01 September 2018 - 07:08 AM

Hello all,

I'm an embedded developer by trade, so I don't get to write a lot of UI that's more engaging than the command line.

My 'home' project needs a decent UI which is presently implemented in C++ using WxWidgets. What I'm looking for is something with better turn around times while I'm exploring alternative work flows.

My initial google search for "ui prototyping tools" just finds expensive tools for windows and mac, but Linux is my development environment. Nor am I in any position to be able to tell 'diamond' from 'mud'.

On the other hand, there is a python binding to WxWidgets. Whilst I'm no expert on python, I've been a casual user for about a year and I'm starting to like it. So this in itself might be an impetus to use it more and help my UI design life-cycle times.

I'm presently using WxSmith which is nice for using drag and drop to arrange UI elements, but lacks when it comes to mocking up the internal interactions (or maybe I'm just missing something).

So I'm kinda looking for some feedback from others who've used WxWidgets to develop complex UI's and how they addressed prototyping issues.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Rapid UI prototyping tools for WxWidgets

#2 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Rapid UI prototyping tools for WxWidgets

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:40 PM

Let me leave off with: I don't use WxWidgets, nor have I even played with it.

Are you after prototyping only, or are you hoping to also use the results for production code? Personally, I tend to use any RAD tools to create throwaway prototypes, not as the skeletons or skins for something that I would end up with for the long term project. I usually do not like the results of the code generators.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• void main'ers are DOOMED
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Rapid UI prototyping tools for WxWidgets

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:13 AM

Well until I read about the Python bindings, I was ready to use anything that would just help me grasp what things would look like.

But as you say, I'm mindful of the easy trap of the prototype becoming the product by mistake.

/thinks....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1