4 Replies - 469 Views - Last Post: 07 November 2018 - 07:51 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best books, online classes, tutorials, etc. for game making?

Posted 02 September 2018 - 11:51 AM

Hi,

I'm very interested in coding my own games, and I downloaded some game making software to play around with, but I'm not a kid anymore, and I actually want to learn a programming language. The problem, though, is I don't have enough time or money to enroll in a face-to-face class, and I can't seem to find very many project-oriented tutorials on the internet. I'm tired of telling myself that it's too difficult, and I really want to start doing something. I'm not getting any younger, after all, and coding is a skill every working person in the 21st century needs.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best books, online classes, tutorials, etc. for game making?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Best books, online classes, tutorials, etc. for game making?

Posted 02 September 2018 - 11:57 AM

I'm replying to my own post to add more information, as I did not see an option to edit my post.

The resources I've found on the internet aren't complete and either assume I already have a lot of knowledge about the subject, or they teach the very basics. I'm unhappy and disappointed. It doesn't seem like it's easy for a layman to find information that will actually teach them to program.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2018 - 12:00 PM

Philosophy aside the biggest recommendation is to use an exiting game engine. I am partial to Unity.. But cry and unreal work as well.

From there hit up their sites as they have great into tutorials. Supplement that with a well reviewed, recentlyish published, book.

From there pull out paper and start getting your game idea down. What you want it to do, mechanics, menus, look, etc. Organize it all and start your work flow list.. Chuck through, check off items, and achieve.

Mind you ""making a game " is a ni he subset if "leaning to program".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

I second what Modi said. But my preference is Unity when it comes to game engines. Cry has major problems with its proxies, and therefore I don't use it or suggest it. Although, that was some 3 years ago, maybe they've patched it up. As for Unreal, its difficult to work with imo and its also in C++ where as Unity is in C# (My preference for games). Unreal used C++ and Lua which is not to hard to learn. Lua is mostly for writing action scripts etc. But there is a cost with Unreal, whereas, I think you need a subscription and you can only use a trial version if you download it.

But there is a lot more to making games than just coding, as you will also have to do some modelling, unless you want to spend hundred on unity's store for new skins, models, and graphical tools for map/level making etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:51 AM

You need to find the motivation. Believe me, if you have it you learn everything quickly enough. In addition, find people who will learn the code with you. it must help
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1