Reputation in DIC

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 984 Views - Last Post: 21 September 2018 - 09:16 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Reputation in DIC

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:43 AM

I don't think we should know who give us negative vote because some people might take it personally and get back at whoever gave them the negative vote.

This post has been edited by wseng92: 19 September 2018 - 01:57 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Reputation in DIC

• head thrashing
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Reputation in DIC

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:31 AM

I prefer our system. On SO lots of people throw around negatives for no reason and with no trace or recourse. Here, because the username is visible, it encourages people to assess and be comfortable with the negative (and positive) mark(s) they give.

In most cases, particularly from longer-term members, the reason for the mark is clear. It is also noticed by moderators when someone (particularly new) is abusing the system, and people can report issues.

If I get a negative I'll look back through current and preceding posts and try and, calmly, understand the reasoning. Then move on (most often). It can be annoying at times, but we get over it ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:19 AM

Yup.. some folk have tried to "retaliate", but when that happens people can just report it to a mod.

The change I would like to see is when giving rep there is a mandatory field to fill in 'why'.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• head thrashing
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:48 AM

I still prefer 'as is'; "was this post helpful?" seems clear enough to me. People will tend to add further info in another post if they feel they have more to say (good or bad).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:39 AM

As a rule, I feel that a negative vote should be accompanied by an explanation. What would have made this post useful, if anything? Or if you can't think of any way to improve the post, what is the reason for the downvote?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:28 AM

I think none of this posts are useful. Downvoting all of you. Dont be mad, its just my feedback.

Downvoting definition - In competitions, the act of voting low others entries for the purpose of improving oneselfs entry.

:genius:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

So I'm not sure what you think you win in this competition... I'm north of 10K rep, and I'm still waiting for my stuffed moose.

If you're really concerned with maximizing reputation, you should spend a little time considering the game theory of reputation. If maximizing your reputation is a goal, can downvoting ever help you? Obviously, it can't - downvoting someone else only decreases their score, it does not raise yours.

The best strategy for rep, if that's a goal for you, is to provide detailed and helpful answers to beginner questions, and to follow up patiently as the beginner struggles through a simple and (to you) obvious problem, guiding them along the way and applauding their successes. This will give the beginner many opportunities to upvote your helpful posts. This, combined with the occasional clever post in the Lounge, will give you a steady rise in your rep score until you too will be waiting for your damned stuffed moose. For bonus points, watch the Site Feedback forum, there will be low-hanging fruit there from time to time.

Spoiler:
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:53 AM

The moose out front should have told you the prize vault is currently closed for renovations.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:53 AM

I mean, if i downvote all of your 19197 posts with your current upvotes of 11193, you will have reputation of -8004. At this rate i can put modi reputation at -43156. However my post was to everyone who dont have real life and who care about likes and dislikes.

Unlike eBay where all downvoters got banned, because there is money involved, so lots of peoples (sellers) started downvoting all other sellers (competitions), in order to gain more buyers.

On other sites, such as this one, no one cares, all peoples care is a way to find answer faster, and the most helpful answer got top upvotes. Or YouTube, likes and dislikes ratio can give you quick feedback before you even watch it (TBH in 10+ years i have never liked or disliked anything on YouTube and FB, i simply let others to judge). So if someone starts downvoting your posts for the revenge (probably on other sites too) for any other stupid reason, let it be, this peoples dont have IQ at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:12 PM

Negative vote should be given to spammers and impolite users . It should not give to those who trying to contribute here even though the answer provided is not useful.

This post has been edited by wseng92: 20 September 2018 - 09:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 jimblumberg   User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:33 PM

Negative vote should be given to spammers and impolite users .

What? Why? In the perfect world spammers and impolite posts would be "reported" to the moderation team for corrective action (using the report button).

It should not give to those who trying to contribute here even though the answer provided is not useful.

Again, what? Why? Look at the title of the rep button: "Was This Post Helpful?" It seems to me that a post that is wrong is "not helpful" and is ripe for negative rep. Now it really comes down to the definition of "not helpful" and every member could have different opinions as to when a negative rep should be given. And note the same user can only give one rep point per post (positive or negative). If you see someone giving negative rep on multiple posts, especially after they got a negative reply is also something to report to the moderation team.

However a single negative rep is really not something to be concerned about and you really shouldn't feel the need to retaliate. The best way to avoid negative rep is to be helpful which also includes making sure your answers are not considered ill conceived and to learn from your mistakes.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:07 PM

What if someone think that his/her answer might be useful but actually not ? This site different with SO, users can't delete their own post once the post was made. Instead of downvotes, explain to them why the answer is not helpful would be better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 jimblumberg   User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:41 AM

What if someone think that his/her answer might be useful but actually not ?

As I said everyone has their own opinion as to when a post is helpful or not and are allowed to rep as they feel appropriate (up or down).

This site different with SO, users can't delete their own post once the post was made.

IMO, this is a good thing. SO and this site have different priorities, this site is geared to teaching instead of being a reference site.

Instead of downvotes, explain to them why the answer is not helpful would be better.

Again this is your opinion, it is up to the repper to decide if the vote is worthy of a comment.

IMO, you're too worried about rep. If you provide overall helpful posts your reputation will grow, to be helpful and learn from your "mistakes". And being helpful, you will probably get many more positive votes that are questionable than you will receive negative votes of any kind. Also you will find that most negative rep will be handed out by petulant children not by experienced people.

So my advice is not to worry about rep, use it as a tool to improve yourself and by improvement the pluses will outweigh the negatives by a huge margin.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• head thrashing
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:57 AM

I upvoted the post above because it was a helpful post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:14 AM

The above post was frankly not all that helpful, but I did not downvote it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +