8 Replies - 323 Views - Last Post: 01 October 2018 - 12:21 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best database setup for a small business

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:14 AM

I'm looking to create databases for small businesses in my area. My only experience with local databases is using XXAMP's MySql and accessing the data with php.

The problem I had is, it would seem cumbersome and unprofessional to have the user need to open XXAMP control and click "start" for the MySql every time they wanted to use their local website.

What advice can you give me that would make it so that the user could simply login to their website without starting XXAMP each time?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best database setup for a small business

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best database setup for a small business

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:01 AM

I think you're confusing something. If you develop something, you do it locally (i.e. on your own PC). For that you would need to start XAMPP every time you want to work on it, which is perfectly fine. When the development is done you publicise the project (i.e. put it in the Internet) so that everyone (of your users) can access it. Your project is then hosted on a public internet server (which is online 24/7).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

Typically a business will not want "a database", they'll want a tool to achieve some purpose. What sort of purpose are you looking to serve, what sort of tools are you looking to provide?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:07 AM

View PostDormilich, on 01 October 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

I think you're confusing something. If you develop something, you do it locally (i.e. on your own PC). For that you would need to start XAMPP every time you want to work on it, which is perfectly fine. When the development is done you publicise the project (i.e. put it in the Internet) so that everyone (of your users) can access it. Your project is then hosted on a public internet server (which is online 24/7).

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are right as far as websites go, but what I was speaking of is creating a local website (not to be placed on the web) but to be used in-house and only for their employees.

Basically, they would sign in to their account, keep track of their leave, sales, inventory. It would be entirely for local use. This could be done with XXAMP of course, but I was hoping maybe there was another way (which I know there is, but I'm ignorant).

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 01 October 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

Typically a business will not want "a database", they'll want a tool to achieve some purpose. What sort of purpose are you looking to serve, what sort of tools are you looking to provide?

Inventory through bar code scanning, sales, employee data (salary), etc. I'd basically give a cheaper version of probably more expensive routes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are right as far as websites go, but what I was speaking of is creating a local website (not to be placed on the web) but to be used in-house and only for their employees.

Even then you wouldn't use XAMPP. You'd use an Intranet server, which is principally the same as a public web server, only that it's restricted to the client computers of the intranet.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:14 AM

View PostDormilich, on 01 October 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

Even then you wouldn't use XAMPP. You'd use an Intranet server, which is principally the same as a public web server, only that it's restricted to the client computers of the intranet.

Exactly what I needed. Thank you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:29 AM

So POS plus employee management?
Architecture-wise, you'd presumably be building a CRUD tool, so django or rails would be reasonable options to consider.

Engineering-wise, I'd want to point out that both of these use cases expose you to serious liability issues - you're handling people's money and their personal info, both of which are highly sensitive. There's a reason solutions in these areas are expensive. Have you asked yourself what it is that makes you think you can deliver a secure solution for either of these things for cheaper than your competition? That question should lead you to a lot of serious soul-searching, at the end of which you might decide to go forward - but only with a lot more reservations than you probably have now.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:06 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 01 October 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

So POS plus employee management?
Architecture-wise, you'd presumably be building a CRUD tool, so django or rails would be reasonable options to consider.

Engineering-wise, I'd want to point out that both of these use cases expose you to serious liability issues - you're handling people's money and their personal info, both of which are highly sensitive. There's a reason solutions in these areas are expensive. Have you asked yourself what it is that makes you think you can deliver a secure solution for either of these things for cheaper than your competition? That question should lead you to a lot of serious soul-searching, at the end of which you might decide to go forward - but only with a lot more reservations than you probably have now.

Good point, it's not my dream so much as it was just curiosity. I considered it an option down the road, but thinking about liability issues points me more toward web design. I may go that route one day though, but I'd have to really learn the ropes in security. This is new to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:21 PM

It's not an insurmountable problem by any means, but it's one that deserves a lot of careful attention.
Inventory management - without the POS portion - might be the piece that I'd direct you to to start with. Depending on your current level as a programmer, this could be an interesting and useful piece of the puzzle in its own right, and it's certainly something that would be addressable with most of your existing CRUD web frameworks.

It might even be that you find an existing POS system which would combine nicely with your work, so you could let them handle the dangerous part (other people's money) and you could stick with the safer part (your clients' stuff)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1