5 Replies - 765 Views - Last Post: 04 October 2018 - 04:14 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Bluehost...and total beginner...

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:49 PM

Hello. Just bought a year subscription to Bluehost, after doing much research and deciding it was the best option for me price wise.
I am trying to set up eclipse in a way where I can just upload my files directly to my bluehost shared server. I don't know what I'm even doing whatsoever.

Let me start here. I bought a domain. I guess I have to transfer it over or something? Does anyone know how to do that on bluehost?

I want to edit all my html files in eclipse and then test them before I upload them to the bluehost server.
All of the eclipse tutorials are telling me to just install tomcat.
I don't want to use my computer as a server because it's not a website for me. I'm
building it for a friend. I honestly don't even know much about hosting and thought I would just dive right in
But I'm really confused about how to set up eclipse to work with bluehost...
Any ideas? can eclipse only use tomcat?

Sorry to ramble on. I'm a little confused.

I think I need some direction here.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Bluehost...and total beginner...

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Bluehost...and total beginner...

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:54 PM

I use xampp as a local host to develop, and then use filezilla to drop them on my hosting site.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:17 PM

Awesome. Okay, I'll try to set up Xampp and then use FileZilla... I might need help with that. Also, thank you for your help with everything over the years. My school really sucks. I should have learned how to do this in web development or something...

I can't wait until I'm smart enough to help other people on here! :D

OH and on Eclipse... When I try to create a new project it will only let me create a static web project. I guess I wanted to use a Dynamic project? I don't really know the difference on eclipse...what that really means. But on the other tutorial I was following they told me to create a new dynamic web project, but it's just not there...

And is that what tomcat would be used for in eclipse? Could it be my local server? OR should I just use Xampp?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:49 PM

the A in xampp is for Apache. It's what binds the port & answers requests to serve websites. Tomcat is a server for Java apps.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:12 AM

What type of development are you doing? Eclipse is great-ish for Java, but if you are doing something else, another IDE may be simpler to utilize. Also, for now at least, it may be easier to separate the development from the deployment. By that, I mean develop in the IDE and test it locally and then use a different program to upload the files. Filezilla was mentioned, I like WinSCP, or you can upload files directly thru Cpanel.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:14 PM

View PostHeathersmithx, on 04 October 2018 - 02:49 AM, said:

I bought a domain. I guess I have to transfer it over or something? Does anyone know how to do that on bluehost?

You have two options, since you didn't say who you bought the domain with. If you bought your domain with BlueHost, you can update it by setting the nameservers they specified for your hosting account. If you want to transfer your current domain (bought from another domain provider), you need to re-register your domain with them. They have some info in how to transfer domain to BlueHost. You will need to provide EPP codes from your current registrar.

Hope this helps some.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1