1 Replies - 325 Views - Last Post: 09 October 2018 - 02:50 PM Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Very Interesting Question

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:47 PM

Hey everyone. I just joined this website because I've had so many questions about programming or just ideas involving using a computer for the past couple of years, at times I didn't know how to ask my questions very well, but I felt it's time to ask at least one question at a time, and put effort that my question will be clear to be understood.

To explain this question is a little connected to using Microsoft Excel. Moving large amounts of data, according to what the data contains and ordering them in a manner that will be organized in a manner that will save time. I will try to put an example, that is connected to some chess data. Here it goes:

Imagine that I have 10,000 recorded chess moves. About 3,000 start with 1.e4 e5. About 3,000 start with 1.e4 c5. About 2,000 start with 1.e4 d5. Finally, about 2,000 start with 1.e4 c6.

So basically I can find every chess set of moves that start with 1.e4 e5 with Control+F, and see where they are, but to move them into a single tab, or a single group of those would be my problem.

Basically what I would do, I would go one by one, with Control+X and Control+V to put them where they would fit, and keep moving and moving the data one by one, this would take many and many hours, and I just felt that if there was a way to save time, that'd be so nice.

I don't know what do you think? I sincerely appreciate if there is anyone that would reach out.

My idea is basically, finding the data such as 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6...such as with the Control+F and know there are 3,000...but then being able to move this data that is also combined with other chess moves, move this data automatically, and being able to review it without having to move the data one by one, but instead having moved thousands of data automatically and keep saving time while doing the same with the other data, organizing it by its patterns.

I also kind of moved data one by one when I was studying languages, basically reading books online, and moving every single word that I didn't know...but this will be for another post. Well, let me know what you think, hopefully what I wrote makes sense. Have a great Tuesday everyone!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Very Interesting Question

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Very Interesting Question

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:50 PM

Sure.. you can make a VBA macro in excel (assuming that's where you are storing it all).. in the macro it can sort by a column and grab like data and add said data to a new sheet.

Alternatively you could break down how you want to search yoru data and try dumping it all into a db and just do queries off it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1