7 Replies - 462 Views - Last Post: 22 October 2018 - 02:20 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

The Four Noble Truths of Software Development

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:41 AM

Just a bit of fun. I've created a "spiritual path" (not really) for stressed out developers:

Now this, neophytes is the noble truth of codedukkha:
There is scope/technology/standards creep. It is incapable of satisfying users or programmers. It is impermanent, it is suffering. New software requires learning, while knowing it solves similar issues as the old software, old software is buggy and has maintenance nightmares. There is always a new "way" of making sure maintenance is easy, which requires endless learning. Complex code that seeks to make things too user friendly will result in many bugs or absurd assumptions about the users, and a lack of an ability to counter act the bug or assumptions without redeployments.

Now this, neophytes is the noble truth of the origin of codedukkha: It is the craving which leads to new tools, new maintenance paradigms, new softwares, death of software etc. It destroys software, but it also creates new software. It creates new paradigms endlessly, and it destroys endlessly.

Now this, neophytes is the noble truth of cessation of codedukkha:
It is the remainderless fading away and cessation of craving, giving up, relinquishing it, freedom from it, non-reliance on it.

Now this, neophytes is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of suffering: it is the coding eightfold path. Right view (all things impermanent), right intention (do not try to defeat impermanence), right speech (do not speak as if there are permanent solutions), right action (do not code with the assumption your code will always work), right livelihood (do not spend all your life trying to find the final, permanent solution. Live your life!), right effort (Do the best you can, with the information you have at the time. Learn, but do not assume anything can be perfect), right mindfulness (why do you code in such a way? What are you clinging to, do you leave comments to help others?) right concentration (are you focused on what you are doing?)

When one becomes familiar with the four noble truths of software development, and when one applies the coding eightfold path, they are on their way to becoming a CodeBuddha.

This post has been edited by NecroWinter: 19 October 2018 - 07:01 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The Four Noble Truths of Software Development

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The Four Noble Truths of Software Development

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:51 AM

POPULAR

I have been slowly working on my own.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:18 AM

I'll go with a Zen coding koan (much shorter read.)

Simple is hard.

That is all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2018 - 11:04 AM

When a customer comes to us with a convoluted programming request and we have to step back and start with questions like "how do you do this now," my boss likes to say:

The solution is simple, it's finding the simple solution that is difficult.

That's usually correct. Customers have an idea of what they want, but when we go back and ask them what the problem is, what are they doing now, etc, we can usually come up with a much more elegant solution.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2018 - 11:39 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 19 October 2018 - 10:18 AM, said:

I'll go with a Zen coding koan (much shorter read.)

Simple is hard.

That is all.

There are probably tons of zen koans that could apply to software development, if anyone knows more feel free to post them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:25 PM

Heh, alas, actually Zen koans aren't as pithy as pop culture would lead one to believe. They're more parables, albeit often intentionally inscrutable ones.

I feel there must be some play one could find on null as mu, but I don't know of anything that quite fits.

My brain actually keeps circling back to tao. Hmm... The code that can be modeled is not the constant code. I think that might work.

You could probably get a lot of the clever use cases from the Tao Te Ching. Translations of "tao" are all wrong, actually by definition. So you can fill in what you like.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:20 PM

The Rootless Root is worth a look.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -