Recommended Assembly / NuGet / Extension for Exporting Reports?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 643 Views - Last Post: 08 November 2018 - 10:20 AM Rate Topic: -----

#1 hexagod   User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Recommended Assembly / NuGet / Extension for Exporting Reports?

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:54 AM

Hey all,
What assemblies, NuGets, Extensions do you all recommend for exporting reports in Visual Studio? I've seen a lot of documentation but much of it is old. I didn't realize there were so many assemblies for this, J/W which ones are the easiest to use, or that you would recommend.

I'm trying to export data into a report from a DataGridView and DataTable (if that helps). Basically, I want to have a standard formula for how the data goes onto the report and then perhaps add a bit of text. I'd like to be able to export as XML files, PDF and .Doc & perhaps even XLSX...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Recommended Assembly / NuGet / Extension for Exporting Reports?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Recommended Assembly / NuGet / Extension for Exporting Reports?

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:59 AM

Data in a dataset can be exported to as a CSV (Comma-separated values). A for loop, stream writer, and blamo.. there you go. Just keep quotes around your values, and commas written between cells.

PDF from HTML works pretty swell.
https://www.nrecosit...erator_net.aspx

.DOC is just a text file so.. again, stream writer.

Excel has the interop.
https://docs.microso...?view=excel-pia
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 hexagod   User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:14 PM

Yeah, I was looking for more a visual type of package, are there any that have controls, similar to visual? I want to create a report visually, and then fill the datasets with code in the background. You know how the view designer works for C# / VC++ / XAML ? ..is there a report that will allow me to create form reports (visually) in the same manner as the those work?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:21 PM

Visual Studios still has a 'local report' option. I wrote a tutorial about it some years ago.

https://www.dreaminc...-local-reports/
https://msdn.microso...y/ms251704.aspx
https://www.nuget.or...orms/140.340.80
https://www.nuget.or...ntrol.Winforms/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 hexagod   User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:18 PM

Tutorial is a bit out of date (missing items in C# ) but those other assemblies were what I was looking for. There are about 100+ report writers in NuGet that's why I'm asking lol. I try to search stuff before I post here... but this is one that's kind of preference and experience relevant.

(I couldn't find local report in my add items)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:18 PM

And here is one for generating PDF https://www.nuget.or...ckages?q=report its basically a rip of Otto Mayers code for his Report.NET class. Maybe you can get some use from that and the ones above. If you want the other extension formats, you will need to go commercial or else use different packages independently. (Not advised), If you go commercial, maybe read up on Syncfusion.Report.Net.Core -- you may or (may not) be able to use it. There is also https://www.nuget.or...osedXML.Report/ My advice is to install and try them, and uninstall if they don't do as you want.

What do you mean with: (I couldn't find local report in my add items)

This post has been edited by Sheepings: 22 October 2018 - 02:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 hexagod   User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:04 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 22 October 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

.DOC is just a text file so.. again, stream writer.

I'm not sure that's exactly correct lol ... here's what it looks like in notepad

View PostSheepings, on 22 October 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

What do you mean with: (I couldn't find local report in my add items)

I mean that when I right click on solution > add item I can't find any reports to add. most of the tutorials I've seen start with adding a report item to the solution in VS

I'm using C# / Winforms ( I know you guys hate winforms but this is a pretty simple project )

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

This post has been edited by hexagod: 22 October 2018 - 03:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:33 PM

We don't hate winforms. It's just old and dated and a bit funky. You can use a more modern approach such as WPF/w its markup language Xaml. There is also Xamarin, but it really all depends what you are doing, and what requirements your app needs. I sometimes still use Winforms, but if you want a more modern functioning platform, you need to move with the times. Many things in WPF are a little different than Winforms, and it does take a little getting use to.

As for adding reports from the add menu. Perhaps the ones you have installed require the reports to be created dynamically, through their classes? Hit the documentation for the supplier who's class you are using, and see what it says about getting started.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 hexagod   User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:48 PM

WPF is awesome, but for super simple projects I still prefer winforms. As for Xamarin, I'm well aware; I'm about to release the bitchute.com https://github.com/h...id_a2/tree/2.68 android native app 100% built in Xamarin. I <3 VS and Xamarin

I just learned winforms because I like the old school format and smaller powershell UIs. It's more of a blocky structure (in both code and UI) but sometimes I like that. I'm hosting the PowerShell engine in my newer programs and I still love watching that window pop up when I FileOut a .PS1 file and then ShellExecute it in a WinForms app.

This post has been edited by hexagod: 22 October 2018 - 06:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 hexagod   User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

View PostSheepings, on 22 October 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

As for adding reports from the add menu. Perhaps the ones you have installed require the reports to be created dynamically, through their classes? Hit the documentation for the supplier who's class you are using, and see what it says about getting started.

EDIT: This is not intended to be mean to Sheepings .. I'm just saying this is possible in a visual format. This came off a little bit condescending and I did not intend for it to. I was partially joking when I say
" dude you need to get with the times noone is starting with a stroke of code to make a template for a report. "

I need to clarify that he is more knowledgeable than me.

It starts with right click on the solution and the IDE does the rest. I'm not wasting my time building a class when the ide will do it on the click of a button.

I'm definitely going to design the classes to fill the report, but the actual generation can be via NuGet / IDE

This post has been edited by hexagod: 23 October 2018 - 07:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:46 PM

Perhaps, but i'm not Harry Potter, and I don't conjure up magical solutions to problems your lazy ass is unwilling to research.

And I've no clue why some of the ones you've tried have no option to add a report, do i? What other response did you expect?

Or maybe you've tried some shitty broken packages. Go read the documentation for once in your life.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:13 PM

And what on earth are you talking about... An ide has no place in this discussion, as they don't generate shit. An ide is a code editor, and quite possibly has compiler modules to build from code.

Nuget is a shell extention for pulling other libraries into your application, and does no such generations.

Learn the difference between an ide and a gui.
https://en.m.wikiped...ent_environment
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#13 hexagod   User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:25 AM

Sorry @Sheepings that came off a little bit sassy and condescending. I was just messing around with you. I know that text doesn't pass this type of communication. I apologize sir, appreciate your help. I just mean that there are visual ways to do this. You guys are all way more knowledgeable than me; I remain humble. :tooth:/>

This post has been edited by hexagod: 23 October 2018 - 07:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:47 AM

hexagod, I didn't take offence, and I've been accused of this a few times before. I don't give two shits what people say on forums, because almost everything can be misconstrued as offensive or rude depending on its wording. I've also learned to try not to read to much into posts. I do tend to speak to others as they do unto me. However, I did feel the need to correct you on some of what you wrote. But there's no need to apologise. Just saying it as it is. :)

And by no means am I an expert either, regardless of how many years, I've been coding in other languages. I always try put my ego aside as the reality is that I learn so much from just being here on this website; reading certain posts from (select minority of people) whom nearly always provide exceptional replies, and well written posts proving their experience and understanding for the languages they love writing and teaching to the community.

Again, leaving my ego at the door, I learn from these people today, as they too; also continue to learn new ways to develop and write new code based on the posts they troubleshoot, (OP posts). But as are most things in life, we never stop learning regardless how much we think we know...

When I first came here to learn more on .Net frameworks, I rubbed people up the wrong way by assuming things I didn't fully understand. I wasn't the brightest in many areas, some might say I'm still not, lol but I don't care, and I know way more than I knew then, and I know enough to teach other people, and I will continue to learn C# as well as other languages for many years to come. I've learned, when you no longer need to ask questions, you know enough to get by.

Being told to pick up a book or study more, was one of the best bits of advice I was ever given on this forum. And I wouldn't knock someone for telling me to do it again, because there is no end to learning anything, and that's what makes it a wonderful experience. And there are no experts, just different people on different levels of experience.

As for the 'visual ways to do this'. You'd be surprised how many libraries on Nuget are class orientated. (Meaning most things need to be dynamically created most of the time.) You need to understand that adding Nuget packages from shell will not install this into Visual Studio, and only installs the needed DLL files to your project package. What you're describing sounds like you want a extension for Visual Studio to give you a report to add. Most of the report packages are terrible fyi. What is wrong with using the standard as previously mentioned?>

This post has been edited by Sheepings: 23 October 2018 - 09:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 hexagod   User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:14 AM

@Sheepings yes, I still have much to learn. You don't have to apologize for anything, because I asked for help from ya'll and then was being kind of jerkish saying I knew better. I do always research this stuff before asking questions, but you guys know a lot of this stuff pretty well, so for preference type questions, I do use your responses as guidance. I'm looking into these assemblies now.

I know you guys might not take this stuff personally, but that doesn't mean I don't owe an apology, when something comes off weird, or if I'm not listening. I'm really not asking you guys to do my work, just wondering which packages you guys use and I've got enough to go on now.

thanks again for the info :balloon:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +