5 Replies - 312 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2018 - 10:58 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

App connected to Windows Server

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:14 AM

Me and a colleague store photos of circuits in order to effectively troubleshoot them in the future and putting up images for reference. However, all of these images have to be sorted appropriately in a folder. This is incredibly tedious, as we have to upload our images to the cloud, and then move them from there to the correct folders.

The idea that I'm having is to create an iOS app, from which we can upload images directly to the server at work, and decide which folder it gets put in on the server from the very moment we upload the image directly from the app.

This app will only be used by a couple people at work, and only to simplify this upload and sorting process. So there's no demand for excellent UI, or high performance.

I've programmed a little in Python, and I've noticed they have a framework for app development (Kivy). Is it reasonable to go with Kivy instead of trying to learn Swift, just for the sake of a small application used within the company?

Simply said, I want to create an iOS app, make the app capable of uploading data to our server in correct folders, which you would specify when you upload the image where you want it to be stored in the hierarchy

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: App connected to Windows Server

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: App connected to Windows Server

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:25 AM

Woah boy.. so first things first. Does someone have an actual apple laptop, or desktop, to compile the code in?
Then there's the Apple Developer program fee of $99/year.
Then there's the issue of either doing a side load of the app, making your phone be a "simulator", or pass the store with the 'enterprise store'.. but that also costs money.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:37 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 October 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

Woah boy.. so first things first. Does someone have an actual apple laptop, or desktop, to compile the code in?
Then there's the Apple Developer program fee of $99/year.
Then there's the issue of either doing a side load of the app, making your phone be a "simulator", or pass the store with the 'enterprise store'.. but that also costs money.

Yeah, I have a macbook pro, an iPad pro, and iPhone XS max. So definitely stocked to deploy the application either as a simulation or go the right way.

The 99$ dollar fee is just a piss in the ocean, question is, is Kivy reliable enough for the small application i'm planning to build? Learning Swift just for the sake of this small application seems ineffective, but who knows.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:52 AM

Bleh.. never used Kivy as I lean towards Xamarin.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:54 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 October 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

Bleh.. never used Kivy as I lean towards Xamarin.

I have used Xamarin in the past, and I know a bit of Java, so it's somewhat close to C#.

It's an option but I feel most comfortable in Python atm
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:58 AM

Coolio. If I am going to compile an app I typically go for a compiled language. To each their own.

Also - don't discount the annoyance of deployment.. Apple really discourages deployment of one off, non-ios store, apps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1