First real job after learning a programming language?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 1030 Views - Last Post: 19 November 2018 - 12:07 PM

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: First real job after learning a programming language?

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:57 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 19 November 2018 - 09:13 AM, said:

I know a number of amateur programmers who started out life as the office computer guy. Change some toner, tweak an excel sheet, and some suit might think of you as "that computer guy." At which point, you can become that guy and move somewhere where the don't remember you fighting the photo copier.

Back when I was working as a tech writer (on my last stint in that role, actually) there was a day when there was an issue with the linux machines, and the linux admin had just left the company. The head of IT literally looked around the room and picked the guy with the beard and ponytail - and I was essentially the acting linux guy there for the rest of my engagement with them.

Turned out the problem was not hard to fix - some certs had expired - but it was a bugger to track it down. Whoever came after me, at least they had some written documentation to work with...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:07 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 19 November 2018 - 09:57 AM, said:

picked the guy with the beard and ponytail

Indeed, this might even be a job recommendation. On more than one occasion I have entered a meeting and received a greeting from the contractor du jour of "and you must be the DBA."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:15 AM

This thread reminds me a little bit of enikeyshchik.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:18 AM

I've been hired on worse grounds before. For example, once I'm pretty sure the deal was sealed when I got the right upper bound on a prime search, and the guy doing the interview (owner of the company and chief developer) got it wrong. Not because I got it right, but because I was able to explain why it was right.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:40 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 19 November 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

I've been hired on worse grounds before.

I once got hired for a position just because I had an English accent. They didn't even conduct the interview, just kept asking me things about England.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:23 AM

Oooops I meant to say I have the SQL book. So would it be better for me to just buy a newer version of SQL?. I was planning on my next Monday to go to a used book store write down the titles of the books I found and then ask here which if any are worth to buy.

Thats what I am doing right now, I am the office guy and I made progress with an animated menu for their restaurant using python that scales to any monitor or TV. I am trying to find ways i can automate things at work. I wanted to write a program so the manager could reset the router on his computer or cell phone. But I'm worried that giving that ability to someone who isn't technically inclined is dangerous.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:41 AM

I don't know what to suggest for an intro book, but High-Performance MySQL (from O'Reilly) has a lot of useful practical information, and also gives you a good glimpse of MySQL's guts.

If you're working on the web in python, you're probably not going to do a lot of direct SQL - hopefully, you'll be using an ORM, like the django ORM or SQL Alchemy
There is still a lot of advantage in understanding SQL as an underlying technology, but writing SQL queries and interpolating them into your python code is not a best practice.

You might consider checking out the official django tutorial and working through that - it's pretty good, and at the end of the day you'll have a good idea of how to construct a simple database-backed website with python.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:05 PM

SQL Queries for Mere Mortals would be my goto recommendation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:07 PM

Makes sense, make opportunities whenever you can. I have a Canadian accent and right now I am living in the south. I have been told by rackspace that I speak too formal, which is why they didn't hire me. My wife and friends joke that I sound like Commander Data from TNG.

I actually went to an interview for lenscrafters for an IT help desk position and when the interviewer saw I could code she told me I was over qualified for that help desk job. She suggested I applied for the software job. I never did hear from them.

I'll definitely look for the MySQL by O'Reilly there at the used book store. I also need to pick up a better copy of C++ there as well.

I saw a video on youtube yesterday and I am curious, how accurate is he?.
https://www.youtube....h?v=6G3kQyqMFpQ

This post has been edited by albert003: 19 November 2018 - 12:09 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +