11 Replies - 645 Views - Last Post: 28 November 2018 - 12:20 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

My kid wants to program. HELP!

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:18 PM

Hi, my son starts college next fall and has decided to take up Associate in computer sciences; programming in particular. I have very little knowledge in this area and need some help. My first question, should he go this route? I believe Networking or Cybersecurity is a better route but not sure where the computer industry is headed. He knows a little coding but I think he maybe getting in over his head. Second, What could he start doing now to prepare? I was going to buy him some programming books, any suggestions?

Now, what computer languages should he study? The obvious is C++, I also was thinking Java and maybe Mobile app. Below is what is being offered.

Programming Language Courses - Complete 20 Hours w/a minimum of 8 Hours in Tier II (20 Hours)

Programming Language Tier I - Choose Three of the Following (12 Hours)
CIST 2311 Visual Basic I
CIST 2341 C# Programming I
CIST 2371 Java Programming I
CIST 2351 PHP Programming I
CIST 2361 C++ Programming I
CIST 2381 Mobile Application Development
CIST 2580 Interactive and Social Applications Integration

Programming Language Tier II - Choose Two of the Following (8 Hours)
CIST 2312 Visual Basic II
CIST 2342 C# Programming II
CIST 2352 PHP Programming II
CIST 2362 C++ Programming II
CIST 2372 Java Programming II
CIST 2373 Java Programming III

Lastly, I want to purchase a Laptop as a graduation present. Anything special needed or can programming be done on any run of the mill Laptop.

Thank you all in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My kid wants to program. HELP!

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My kid wants to program. HELP!

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:10 AM

My first question, should he go this route? I believe Networking or Cybersecurity is a better route but not sure where the computer industry is headed. He knows a little coding but I think he maybe getting in over his head.

Programming is a useful and desirable skill in the job market. I know someone that recently graduated with a networking and cybersecurity degree and had difficulties landing a job, with one reason being a lack of programming skills. This person is now gainfully employed in their chosen field, but it was tough finding a job.

In regards to your son's specific degree program, it looks like a "learn a lot of languages" track. If this is the case, then it's likely a program that lacks any real depth. These programs keep re-hashing the basics in various languages and don't give students the opportunities they need to deepen their understanding or apply what they have learned to bigger projects.

If your son is simply looking to get a job, the following three courses are what I would recommend: Intro to Programming, Data Structures and Algorithms I, and Discrete Math. The Data Structures course will provide more abstract reasoning skills, as well as key tools and techniques that are the bread and butter of every programmer. The Discrete Math class focuses on mathematical tools that CS folks will want, as well as developing one's problem solving skills.

He knows a little coding but I think he maybe getting in over his head.

This is normal. Programming is hard. It requires folks to think. Generally, it takes a year of solid practice to become proficient.

For what it's worth, it is probably better to let your son arrive at the decision that he is in over his head, rather than making that decision for him. It is quite common for folks to change majors.

Now, what computer languages should he study? The obvious is C++, I also was thinking Java and maybe Mobile app. Below is what is being offered.

Pick one language and take a year to focus on mastering that language. Learning to program is really about training oneself to think in a very precise manner. The chosen language is a tool to express this thinking. It is counterproductive to try and learn multiple languages while learning to think in a new way. Based on the courses you listed, Java and C# are solid places to start. Both are highly desirable in the job market. The Java and C# forums also have a number of pinned resource threads. You can start there for book recommendations.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:13 PM

You shouldn't really pick his classes for him. He might have a specific focus area he's interested in, and you can't just force him to pick what you want. Ask him what he wants. Also, everything mac said.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:52 AM

Thank you both for your input. NeoTifa I think you misunderstand my intentions. I am not wanting to pick his classes, I just want to get a read on what is viable in programming now and down the road, let say in 5 to 8 years. I know a lot will change in that time so some direction is better than no direction. He is picking his own classes when the time comes. He is looking to me for advice so getting info from people who program to me seem like the best answer.

I would still like to know he he will need a high end laptop to code or will any run of the mill one work. Does it matter if its say a Windows laptop or a Chromebook? Will he need 1TB HDD or 10TB, heck maybe 256gig SDD.

Thanks again for you time to answering my post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:03 AM

Just to reiterate, because I see this perception a lot: The demand for software engineers is MUCH higher than security experts and IT people. As mac said, nobody I know who wanted to get into that actually successfully got into it. Every developer I know got a job writing code.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#6 baavgai   User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:46 AM

Hmm... just a quick opine. I encourage your kid, not you, to investigate further.

First, "Interactive and Social Applications Integration" sounds like either basket weaving or something that you'd already need some programming understanding to get anything out of. "Mobile Application Development" will require a language as well, most likely Java, so offering it before you know a language seems pointless.

Interestingly, each of the languages listed do occupy their own distinct domain, mostly.

C# Programming: If you want to program on Windows, this is the winner, hands down. Conversely, if you have no interest in Windows programming, this is of dubious value, though you can wedge it in. Professionally, this is the language I currently use the most.

Java Programming: This is kind of the cast iron frying pan of coding. Few programmers end up pulling it out all that much, but is tends to form the foundation of the tools they do use. Android programming is Java programming (sort of) and you'll want a good understanding of it before going mobile. It's still in demand and debatably one of the best beginner languages out there. Indeed, some majors offer this one as default.

C++ Programming: This is the messy subterranean dungeon of modern computing. Modern operating systems and games are written in C++ and it is the tool of choice for many applications. While everyone should know this one, it is not naturally found in web or mobile development. Not the friendliest first language, but some would argue it does teach the hard lessons early. Yes for a programmer with game dev dreams, no for anyone who doesn't hate themselves.

PHP Programming: Welcome to the web. However, web tools are legion and just knowing PHP isn't going to get you that far. I'd argue that the most important programming language for web is Javascript, with HTML and CSS also required. PHP enjoys popularity due to its level of adoption rather than intrinsic value. Not a recommended first language. Or, really, any language.

Visual Basic: You could argue that this has the same strengths as C#, but you'd be wrong. While it runs in same scope, it is a bastard step child with uniquely wonky syntax appealing only to nostalgic coders who recall 90s VB dominance or those who believed the lie it was easy. I could say more, but it would be truly beating a dead horse.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:21 AM

I would still like to know he he will need a high end laptop to code or will any run of the mill one work. Does it matter if its say a Windows laptop or a Chromebook? Will he need 1TB HDD or 10TB, heck maybe 256gig SDD.

For learning to program almost any laptop will work, but remember programming is not the only thing the computer will be used for, but because your kid will probably be lugging the computer all over try to keep it lightweight and portable with as much battery life as possible.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:27 AM

If you do buy a laptop, just get one with a long battery life or that includes a backup battery. I bought a cheapo unit, and the battery was nearly dead at the end of each class.

Edit: Chromebook is no good. Go for Windows or MAC. If it's like my classes, he'll be required to install software (IDEs) not supported on Chromebook.

Edit: removed comment about every class having a pc

This post has been edited by jeffindenver: 28 November 2018 - 11:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 andrewsw   User is online

• head thrashing
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

There seems to be a preference for teaching Java... because it has III parts (maybe just emphasising the tutors' preferences and skillsets ;) but just a wild guess on my part).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:50 AM

View Postjeffindenver, on 28 November 2018 - 10:27 AM, said:

About that laptop, every single computer science course will be held in a room with a pc on each desk, so it's not required.

This was definitely not true at my university.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:24 AM

Yeah, definitely no pc in every class. We had like 2 labs our entire engineering building. You're expected to bring a laptop. I would say something with several cores and decent ram, and make sure you get an external hdd for backups. I only say about the cores and ram because I've run into several instances where you need to run a virtual machine, and if you don't have enough juice you can't do anything because the computer locks up so often.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:20 PM

Everything mac said, I agree with. I incline towards Java as the best choice of first language - it's a good language to know, and it sets you up well to learn other languages.
Also, it's a good language to work in when you take algorithms and compilers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1