11 Replies - 404 Views - Last Post: 27 November 2018 - 03:34 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Idiots guide to C++ good book?.

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:42 PM

Due to an unforeseen expense, I am limited to what book I can buy. I found the book the idiots guide to C++ and it has mostly good reviews. Is that a good book to start me off in C++?. I have been using an online course as well as watching tutorials of C++ on youtube and I was told I would strongly benefit from a good book. I am familiar with programming (I'm confident with Python) and although I realise Python isn't C++, I really need a book.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Idiots guide to C++ good book?.

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Idiots guide to C++ good book?.

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:03 PM

I try to avoid books that are titled 'for dummies' or 'for idiots'.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:40 PM

Is this a better book?
https://www.amazon.c...%2B+programming
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 andrewsw   User is online

• quantum multiprover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:28 AM

Have you gone through the C++ pinned topics?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:51 AM

I'm still going through them right now. I've finished quite a few of them and right now. I am stuck on the lesson make a tic tac toe game.

I've been told numerous times that I need a book. I've been using an online Windows C++ course , using an app called solo learn and watching various tutorials on youtube to help improve my skills.

I thought since the second book I mentioned is for beginners, it would be a good book for someone of my level.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:53 AM

I haven't read webber, but I mean if the reviews are okay, and the index looks like it covers topics.. give it a whirl.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:16 AM

I read that book, the idiot's guide, and while plainly written, tends to be a little condescending. The information is legit as a jumping point, but if you want to do serious c++, I'd invest in something better later on. You could try to borrow books from the library (that's how I read it).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:24 AM

Is this a better book?

Probably not, it seems to be under one hundred pages so it probably won't cover most of the language and what it does cover will be fairly sparse. Oh and if you're talking about the audio book then definitely no.

If your short on money then you may want to check out "Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckel, or "Accelerated C++" by Barbara Moo. While both of these books are getting fairly old they would still be better than the books you mentioned, also both of these books have been released as free downloads by the authors.

But you should really try to get something like "C++ Primer" by by Stanley B. Lippman and Josée Lajoie. While more expensive, it is a much more modern work. Then there is "Programming Principles and Practices using C++" (latest edition), which again is more expensive but one of the better books for teaching C++, as long as you read the book thoroughly (from start to finish, don't skip any sections since each chapter builds on the previous chapters) and do all the exercises, drills, etc.

But whatever book you get you will need to devote time to reading and understanding the material.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:36 AM

Or learn ruby as your gateway drug. It's kinda easier, but it is way different, but they can act as training wheels. Plus theres a free copy of the learning book with the distro. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:39 PM

NeoTifa Thats what my wife suggested, I started out with an easier programming language (Python) and once I became comfortable in it I wanted to start learning C++.

Jim as always great advice, I found the down load and will start the book today.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:46 PM

Oh well ruby is easier than python lol. Python is a scripting language (so is ruby) so moving over to c++, which is compiled, will be a little clunky at first but it's not too hard. Concepts are mostly the same, just syntax is different. Plus you have to do your own garbage collecting and all that jazz.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:34 PM

By the way you may want to consider following some of the advice given in this topic. Ie, you may want to consider taking a few classes as suggested in post 2.

If your son is simply looking to get a job, the following three courses are what I would recommend: Intro to Programming, Data Structures and Algorithms I, and Discrete Math. The Data Structures course will provide more abstract reasoning skills, as well as key tools and techniques that are the bread and butter of every programmer. The Discrete Math class focuses on mathematical tools that CS folks will want, as well as developing one's problem solving skills.

(highlight mine).

Imo, you seem to need a little more knowledge that you'll need to become a good programmer. You also really need to improve on the underlined part of the highlighted area as well.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1