I Need A New 3D Game Idea

• (2 Pages)
  • +

29 Replies - 1229 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2018 - 10:50 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I Need A New 3D Game Idea

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:01 AM

Is There Anyone Who Has Any Good 3D Game Ideas? I Want Something Original And Simple Kind Of Like How Portal Was When It Came Out. All Ideas Are Appreciated!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I Need A New 3D Game Idea

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I Need A New 3D Game Idea

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:03 AM

Why are you unable to come up with an idea?

Are you going to pay folk for their idea?

Why are all your words capitalized? That's weird. ;)

Maybe my joke fell flat, but so it goes. I am certain you've played some 3d games. No problem testing out some ideas from those in an existing engine like Unity or Unreal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:52 PM

Sorry About The Caps That's Just How I Type But I Need An Idea Because I Don't Want To Make A Rip Off Of An Already Existing Game Or For People To Think That It's A Rip Off. Also I Like To Code From Scratch And Have Reconstructed Several Games That Way Using Python And C++ I Just Find It Easier That Way. Thank For The Input Though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:23 PM

You should knock that off. Fuzzing out your communication is not a good thing.

You should be using an engine if you want to make something complex. Do a series of proof of concepts on different game mechanics and see if that creates some inspiration.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:22 AM

It would be disappointing if the game really takes off but, in years to come, you would always have to disclaim "yes, but the original idea was not mine".

Surely you can come up with something...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:32 AM

I'm looking at the Emoticons on the right - the dancing banana, the bandit shooting, etc. - and I imagined a game like a maze, or perhaps more pacman like, with these critters running about. It is not an entirely original idea, nor perhaps has much legs, but, the point is, it doesn't take too much effort to find starting points for ones imagination.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:14 AM

View Postandrewsw, on 29 November 2018 - 02:32 AM, said:

I'm looking at the Emoticons on the right - the dancing banana, the bandit shooting, etc. - and I imagined a game like a maze, or perhaps more pacman like, with these critters running about. It is not an entirely original idea, nor perhaps has much legs, but, the point is, it doesn't take too much effort to find starting points for ones imagination.

The dancing banana and the shooting bandit emoticons? That sounds kind of interesting and maybe a project for later but for now I have the time, setting, the basic 3D game, and game physics coded as well as some textures made, I just need some type of backstory or a point to the game. I'm trying to make it so that the player feels more involved in the game so the name, age, gender, and any information like that won't be assigned to you when you play the game. I'm also trying to make some sort of antagonist in the game to make it more interesting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:33 AM

I wasn't suggesting an idea. You missed my point entirely. Never mind. :whistling:
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:59 PM

I know what you mean, I was just saying that the example you gave could become a potentially interesting game. The problem is that every time I come up with some type of backstory it ends up being too similar to other games' backstories while I want something original.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:09 PM

Look - your bar for 'original' is something you are only able to define so it's on you to make it so. This isn't some sort of 'Beautiful Mind' thing.. it's a video game.

You are already making some fumbles any ways by trying to crack your own engine, shader, etc.. I've seen it enough before - regardless what you come up with, what shade of 'original' it is colored with, a busted engine won't have it go far.

I will reiterate - if you want to make games then use an existing engine and make games. Once you get a feel for what is needed then sure... go spin your wheels in the mud of making the "next best engine". In the mean time try out game concepts to see if you can even make them to begin with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:37 PM

No. I won't use an already existing game engine because the point of me making the game is as a challenge for coding. Also my engine is not busted and I know exactly how to use it since I made it. I'm not some crappy person who hardly knows how to code because all I can do is use someone else's game engine! I am trying to challenge my abilities and my understanding of code so I'm not going to use someone else's code! I am a lone coder on this project and intend to finish on my own! I only came here for advice and you sir are the opposite of what I was looking for! Though I knew someone just like you would show up and tell me I'm wrong. Good day to you.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:02 PM

lol.. oooookay. Have a good one champ.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:06 AM

@StergiosGamer07 Code What's up with the attitude, and your use of explanation marks is downright rude. Just because some people don't agree with you or your ideology, doesn't mean you should get into a snot. Regardless how good you code, you really shouldn't be reinventing the wheel. Should you?

If something is already done, then utilize the good works of others to your own advantages, ie the use of Unity Engine. While owning your own engine is a great way to maximize your game rights (legally) as well as profits. It is not entirely worth it when you make a game, and suddenly you need to patch bugs in your engine reported by your customers who bought your game after release. Patching that engine could risk damaging your core development structure of that game built on your own engine and your company reputation would also be called into jeopardy should something later break in your game after patching your engine. Lets be practical here...

Coming from someone who has made games in the past and still does, you are talking out of your arse when you're blowing your own trumpet about how good a coder you are. Lets leave your ego at the door, because regardless how good you are at writing any programming language(s); writing an engine is one thing, but, game development is a team process and I wouldn't be attempting such a task because its very stressful. Not to mention writing a game is done in more than one type of language, and you will also need modelers, animators, and graphic design experts, illustrators, sound engineers, and people with movie production experience...

I'm not trying to be an ass, but lets be practical here and call a spade a spade. You won't be pulling a job like that off by yourself. I've been using Unity for its diversity, and its abundance of useful models, textures, etc which can be bought through the unity store. So why would you want to go reinventing the wheel when you can avail of so much, and kick start your own game concept with an already available engine?

Consider building a team, from like minded people, or friends who can do the necessities of the above requirements. I'm fortunate to have made many friends in those fields in the last few years, and I can always turn to them for help if needing a dig-out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:56 AM

View PostStergiosGamer07 Code, on 29 November 2018 - 05:59 PM, said:

I know what you mean, I was just saying that the example you gave could become a potentially interesting game. The problem is that every time I come up with some type of backstory it ends up being too similar to other games' backstories while I want something original.

According to current theory, there are only 7 stories in the world:

• Overcoming the Monster
  • Rags to Riches
  • The Quest
  • Voyage and Return
  • Rebirth
  • Comedy
  • Tragedy

... If every story has already been written, is striving for originality a pointless task?

The answer is no; it absolutely is not. While it may indeed be compelling – and likely true – that storytelling conventions are built on only six or seven broader foundations, the purpose of categorizing stories into broad types is as a way to understand fiction, not to limit our creativity.

These frameworks describe the emotional journey at the core of each story, but they can never define the limitless, majestic scope of the sights, sounds, people, and places readers can encounter during that journey.

:

Stories stand on their own because of the people that write them, and the characters they create.

So remember: even if there are only seven stories – or three or six, or whatever researchers suggest next – it doesn’t mean you don’t have a worthwhile story to tell. From a framework perspective, it may all have been done before – but only the most cynical could use that as a reason not to write.

Sorry for the slight off topic there, but I had to share.

Now back on topic: most folks with game industry experience have also noted that there are two kinds of game developers: low-level game developers and high-level game developers. The former tend to enjoy working on the game engine: graphics, sounds, physics, AI, networking, etc. The latter tend to enjoy working on level design, game mechanics, pacing, characters, artwork, music, etc. It's very rare to have a jack-of-all-trades for the current level of games expected nowadays. Back in the 70's and early 80's one person could do it all, but the industry has moved on.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:25 AM

I don't think you get the point. This isn't meant to be some big time game, it's meant to be a personal project to test my abilities so that some time in the future I am able to do something bigger. Also I am not trying to toot my own horn but rather find my limits and try to improve my skills by doing this challenge. All I was saying is that I'm trying to work hard on something. Also, don't accuse me of making something broken when you don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry but I don't think anyone here really understands the point of this whole thing I'm doing. I know that it can be stressful to make a game from scratch, but only if I let it be. The only reason that I am making an engine on my own and creating the game on my own is because I am trying to improve my skills.

The whole game idea thing is because it's difficult to develop any game without some backbone to it. I don't want the results of how well I can program games to be bad because I couldn't manage to come up with a good plot for it. I'm a programmer not an author, though programmers can be considered authors of some sort. Like I said before, I came here for help and no one seems to understand that. You don't really seem to have come here to help, but rather to tell me that I'm wrong about everything. If you think I'm just stubborn all I'm trying to do is challenge myself to come to my best abilities. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to make a point.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +