I Need A New 3D Game Idea

• (2 Pages)
  • +

29 Replies - 1242 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2018 - 10:50 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: I Need A New 3D Game Idea

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:36 AM

Skydiver that was not directed at you. I hadn't seen your response yet but the point of me asking is that I need to know if someone has some idea like a space quest or if its in a dungeon. That's the kind of input I'm looking for. I already had a basic idea though couldn't put it into a full blown idea or concept of the rest of the game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2018 - 01:40 PM

It's not a matter of how original the idea is. It is a matter of how much you believe in it to see the completion of the project when it's 3AM on the fifth day of you trying to track down why does one of the objects suddenly flips over by itself while you are going through one section of your level.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:10 PM

Confused. If your aim is a personal project to improve your skills then it matters little what the 'game idea' is. It is more important that it includes a range of features and options that you want to practice and improve upon. Pick an existing game and try to recreate it.

Besides which, if you did have (or elicit) a good game idea, it would be a large distraction from your main aim to improve your skills. A 'good' idea would be a bad idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:57 PM

I've already recreated a few games. Basically I want to see if I can create something that I'm not familiar with that is someone else's idea. I want to do this to make sure that I'm not subconsciously limiting my own ideas by what I know I can do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:49 PM

View PostStergiosGamer07 Code, on 30 November 2018 - 06:25 PM, said:

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to make a point.

It's amazing how clear you can come across when you tone it down a level, with less explanation points, and a change in your tone on the board towards anyone who disagrees with you. For the most part, it doesn't make sense to reinvent the wheel. Full stop. And the way you explained yourself, you made this game idea of yours sound like it was better than the already available, tested and most used engines already out there. When you elude to the point that you can create better engines than what is already available, you can expect replies like the one you got. There's no need to flaunt your ego and how good you are...

I don't think you get the point.

Well I do, but there are many other ways you can increase your learning experience and many other project ideas you can obtain from some good programming books which will also satisfy your experience when you elaborate on the design-flow (above the expectations of the book), from whatever project you undertake.

Why not some kinda Audio editing software like Adobe Audition or Adobe premiere for Movies? Regardless of your experience or anyone else's experience, neither of them would be easy projects to recreate...

Also, don't accuse me of making something broken when you don't know what you're talking about.

lol I didn't accuse anything. I used it as an analogy, should that ever happen to you. But whatever about it, and good luck with the new engine anyways.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:16 PM

That line about the broken engine wasn't directed towards you. I probably could have made that clearer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:32 PM

The reason why the comment about "your game engine is broken" was made was because from prior experience on this board as well as most other game development boards is that 90% of the people who say "I'm going to write a brand new game engine from scratch for my new whiz-bang game" come back about with multiple questions over several months along the lines of "I'm working on my own game engine. I'm trying to do X and it's not working..." About a year later, the situation is still about the same but the questions come less frequently, or that the individual has given up. (Ironically, the statistic about small businesses in the US: 20% of new small businesses close within a year, and 50% of small businesses close within 5 years, looks better than the number of startup indie solo developer game engines.) And they haven't even gotten to the interesting part of working on game mechanics, levels, or game balancing... They are just on getting rendering and basic collision detection working.

Here's one indie developer's blog regarding the amount of time he spent working on his game: 3850 hours and 5 minutes. How Long Does It Take to Make an Indie Game?. He didn't even write his own engine. He used a framework with which he was already familiar with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:36 PM

It's always my go to process - do you want to write an engine folk will not use, or do you want to make games?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:50 PM

Alright. Got an idea for you.

You're in a beer pong competition that is totally 3D, and as you do worse (having to drink), the screen gets "drunker", which makes it even harder - so you get drunker. Game ends when your opponent or you is in the hospital for alcohol poisoning.

You have to push the boundaries of your engine to get cool tipsy/drunk/dying effect or it will be boring. You also can have crazy shenanigans going on in the background at this college party. Sky's the limit man. Fly free. Create.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:51 AM

That sounds amazing and pretty interesting! I'll look into it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:54 AM

Oh noes - they already have VR beer pong.

https://store.steamp...0/Beer_Pong_VR/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:35 PM

Yeah, but people hate it, and where are the cool drunk effects that I was talking about? I think that'd really sell the game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2018 - 05:16 PM

It's it just a matter of adding a randomizer to the camera vector so it randomly accepts feedback from the character motion vector, and using a pixel shader that applies some motion blur aggressively to get the room spin effect? Or do you also randomly adjust the field of view to get the tunnel vision?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:46 PM

I will try it anyways since it is not my idea and it's a game that I'm not familiar with! It's worth a shot!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#30 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:50 PM

I guess one quickly abandons their high ground. ;) lol.. just poking fun.

Because I Don't Want To Make A Rip Off Of An Already Existing Game Or For People To Think That It's A Rip Off.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +