3 Replies - 115 Views - Last Post: 27 November 2018 - 01:31 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Newbee question: can I publish on a mapped drive directory?

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:00 PM

Due to some necessary features of my project (login sessions, ranks, navigating back and forth, etc) I am considering the option of moving from vb.net to asp.net. unless tehre are similar features (specially loading new page etc.) in vb.net that I don't know about yet.
However, I am not sure if I can deploy my asp.net project where my sql schema is allocated. I have an ignorance and newbee question though, and that is whether I could publish the asp.net pages on a mapped network drive? I have heard about ISS and other things but have no idea where to go.
Thanks for any help and thoughts on this. Also feel free to correct me if I sound very NIWHTA (No Idea What He Talks About) ;)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Newbee question: can I publish on a mapped drive directory?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Newbee question: can I publish on a mapped drive directory?

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:08 PM

Websites need a webserver to work. IIS is the windows version of, say, Apache on linus.

https://www.iis.net/

If you want a complex page to load you need a web server running it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:21 PM

OK. So it is IIS and not ISS. I wondered why I get weird google search result 
Is having 3-4 pages, log on, connection to sql tables, save and retrieve information and maybe export to Excel a complex website?
I donít have a web server and I donít think that can work for an intranet (inside the company) project. What are my options?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:31 PM

Yes. Anything beyond just displaying basic HTML is 'complex'. Server side interaction with a database needs IIS.

Options are limited. You have a database server? See about wedging in a webserver as well.

Outside of that you would have to look at hosting externally and see about hooking that up to some sort of API, or web service, call to the db.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1