11 Replies - 863 Views - Last Post: 01 December 2018 - 03:30 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Linux Devs threaten to pull "Kill Switch"

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:34 PM

Linux Devs Threaten to pull Kill Switch

Anyone see this article? I don't mean to stir up any harsh feelings or anything of that sort.

IF there are women on this forums, and I know your ladies are excellent lurkers :P/>/> I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Link fixed. I forgot a portion of it, haha

This post has been edited by dreadstarx: 28 November 2018 - 03:49 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Linux Devs threaten to pull "Kill Switch"

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Linux Devs threaten to pull "Kill Switch"

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:42 PM

404: Page Not Found

Elaborate on why some "kill switch" needs gendered specific input.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:50 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 28 November 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

Fixed the link. As for why, I'm not sure I could summarize this very well, or explain. I'm a pretty opinionated person, and I'd like to keep a good rep here, lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:00 PM

Typically in discussions you would want to express your side on an article or topic you start.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:47 PM

My thoughts are simple. Grow the **** up. Equality is a myth, it'll never exist. If women want to be programmers, awesome. Check your bull**** at the door, don't get offended easily, and show them you can pull your own weight. Men who have a problem with women joining the team, get over it. Women are wired differently, they may see something in a different way, and contribute justly.

This whole threatening to pull code is a bit extreme, but the harassment and sexist crap needs to be checked at the door. I'm betting you Linus got some heat from LBTGQ+ and that influenced his decision to take time off. Or he was fired, either way this is a political nightmare that needs to be navigated careful or we're going to end up in a **** show that doesn't do any good. I'm not sure why LBTGQ+ is involved anyways. I'm concerned with this whole subject because of the ramifications it can have for OpenSource. Something I support 210%.
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:50 PM

POPULAR

Huh. I have to wonder if the OP is the poster of the comment currently at the top of the pile responding to the original article. The comment I have in mind is from "Thomas", it reads as follows:

I love how everyone ignores the actual reason why it’s predominantly males. Men are psychologically wired differently. It’s been proven that men excel at certain tasks, than women do. Programming is one of them, but most of IT is mostly men, most mechanics are men, anyone b****ing about that? Nope. The other problem is how women react around men in the environment. If anyone in IT hasn’t her a sexist/racist/vulgar joke or comment, I’d be damn surprised by that. In the past 5 years, I’ve worked around maybe 4 women in total, and 3 of the 4 wanted to be treated like they were special, and deserved attention and praise for every god damn little thing. Congrats, you swapped a blade on a C7000 Chassis, big f***ing whoop. It’s the same idea behind the gun grab bull****. Guns aren’t the problem, people are. Society is THE problem, society says everyone has to be equal. Sorry, hate to break it to you but equality is the biggest load of bull**** ever served. Bosses get fired because of women, if they treat them harshly they start crying and then HR complaints come rolling out like the U.S. Government prints money.

Long Story Short: Stop forcing your political bull**** on others. Take it, and directly shove it up your ***. We don’t want it, we don’t need it and we certainly won’t tolerate it.

The style certainly seems consistent, the timing is about right, and the use of the phrase "wired differently" in both is a flag.
Think I'm going to just sit this one out, not getting a real strong sense that a coherent and rational discussion is in the offing here.
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:30 PM

View Postdreadstarx, on 28 November 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

Fixed the link. As for why, I'm not sure I could summarize this very well, or explain. I'm a pretty opinionated person, and I'd like to keep a good rep here, lol.

I'd say that your statement alone shows you are a sexist whiner.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:47 PM

OP came in with an axe to grind and likely no desire to hear opinions to the contrary. Flame bait is flame bait.

Quite frankly threads like this and all the issues around have made magnificent no-hire lists.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:43 AM

Women can do all the stuff a man can do, but they do offer different perspectives, which can only facilitate innovation and success imho. If a woman starts crying in the office and throwing a hissy fit, it's either because somebody really was a sexist turd, or it's a personal issue, as in the individual person. Men whine, cry, and throw hissy fits just as hard. I used to work construction, and believe me, those men were the biggest drama queens I've ever seen. Women don't want treated special (on the whole, some do), they want to be treated like people, like you would another male coworker. It's not that hard.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:28 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 29 November 2018 - 01:30 PM, said:

View Postdreadstarx, on 28 November 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

I'd say that your statement alone shows you are a sexist whiner.

Not even close. If I was sexist, I wouldn't tolerate women in the workplace period, I'd be saying the same thing kids joke about these days but more seriously, "Back to the kitchen, *****". The ways of the early 1900s are dead. Women contribute to society just as much as men do. Not even close to sexist, but thanks for trying. A+ for the effort!

View PostLemur, on 29 November 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

OP came in with an axe to grind and likely no desire to hear opinions to the contrary. Flame bait is flame bait.

Quite frankly threads like this and all the issues around have made magnificent no-hire lists.

I do have an ax to grind, but after some of the crap I've been through because of a woman in the workplace, You'd be pissed too. I've always been polite, professional and did my job as I was asked too. My past 3 jobs, I've been screwed over by a female in the workplace. Every interaction I've had with a woman in the workplace has been bad. I spent a day at the Amazon HQ for a job interview, I met some pretty terrifying women while I was there. Terrifying as in how smart they were, and how good they were at their job. Most of the women I've worked with, have the same job title I do, but do NONE of the same work. It breeds a lot of contention. Now, I've only worked a handful of IT jobs, and my current job I've worked with a couple females. Couple of them I question how they even got the job because they've done a poor, shitty job. But no, they couldn't turn them down because that'd be sexist. Can't have that, can't look like a company that wants to hire the best of the best, and have an outstanding workforce. Oh and before you say "oh look, he is sexist!", there are a couple guys there that I wonder how they've made it to 30 with what I've witnessed. How does one put thermal paste into the CPU socket, and then put none on top of it? I mean, it's only $20,000 combined that he ruined.

View PostNeoTifa, on 30 November 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

Women can do all the stuff a man can do, but they do offer different perspectives, which can only facilitate innovation and success imho. If a woman starts crying in the office and throwing a hissy fit, it's either because somebody really was a sexist turd, or it's a personal issue, as in the individual person. Men whine, cry, and throw hissy fits just as hard. I used to work construction, and believe me, those men were the biggest drama queens I've ever seen. Women don't want treated special (on the whole, some do), they want to be treated like people, like you would another male coworker. It's not that hard.

You're wrong, not ALL women can do the same as ALL men. We're all different, we all think differently, we all have different views, opinions, and different ways of expressing it. That's the point I'm making. We actually had this discussion at work a few weeks back, why don't we have more women in Data Center Operations / Data Center Engineering. Well, let's be honest, it's not a glorious job. What I do is the same as what a Janitor does. I clean up after everyones done using it, fix it back up, and re-open it for use. Yes, I hate it but work is work, and money is money. Every woman I've worked with, except two, and those two set my world on fire, in a good way. She's actually more vulgar than I am, and that kind of threw me off. She fires off more sexist, racist, and derogatory jokes than I've ever said or known in my life. The other lady I worked with, she rode my ass about my work, constantly pointing out where I went wrong, what I could've done better, and overall, we're still pretty good friends to this day. Also, she's the only woman to ever slap me, besides my mom. To be fair, I deserved the smack, but it was all in fun. She's short, shorter than your average woman, so I bought a stool and put "<Insert_Name>'s Throne" on a small ladder.

I'll be perfectly clear, crystal-fucking-clear.

I'm not sexist, I don't hate women, and I certainly don't have any problem with them in the workforce. I just read an article recently about a group of all women who developed and designed something that was super cool. I saw it on LinkedIn on Thursday, and I'm trying to find it. My "ax" to grind is with the women who think it's OK to twist words, play the "damsel" in distress, and make others lives a living hell. My beef is with the women I've worked with, from the looks of NeoTifa's name, I can guess that she's a female developer. No beef with you, unless you steal food off my plate. Then it's war.

I added this topic here because I thought it would spark some good discussion, being how all of you guys are programmers and live in this world with CoC/GPLv2/GPLv3. As an outsider, I don't fully understand it. Skydiver and modis123_1 have done a pretty good job of helping me with a couple projects I was working on, and I just picked up another one. But since this has turned into a sour topic, let's just leave it as it is and move on. I came here for help, clearly, I haven't been here long enough to start controversial topics and have an actual genuine conversation. Oh, and if it helps, that was a propaganda post, or so I'm told. I won't be able to respond for a week or so, I've got family matters to attend too.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:49 PM

The OP is clearly a troll. Nothing constructive will come of this thread. Therefore, I am closing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:30 PM

Every interaction I've had with a woman in the workplace has been bad.

I'm looking for the common element here, and it's you.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1