6 Replies - 398 Views - Last Post: 18 December 2018 - 01:23 PM

#1 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Push out a GPO to hide file extensions and hidden folders? Really?

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:25 AM

For some reason, a GPO is being pushed out in my enterprise to enforce the "Hide file extensions" and "Hide hidden folders" settings on Windows machines. Don't they understand that developers and helpdesk need to be able to see those things?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Push out a GPO to hide file extensions and hidden folders? Really?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Push out a GPO to hide file extensions and hidden folders? Really?

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:40 AM

Damn.. that's some out of touch committee logic there.

Not to mention all the fun malware, virus, and malicious things that show up as "401k increase.doc" but is a .exe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 😂😂😂
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:14 PM

yellow vest time
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:56 PM

I try to be a good corporate citizen and follow the policies, but after 4 hours this drove me crazy each time I brought up a Save File As or Open File dialog. I had to use my local admin rights to override the policy on my machine before I started going postal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:10 PM

Assuming you're not the boss, though if you are I guess you can skip a step, you need to approach your supervisor and tell them exactly what about the new policy is causing issue and the issues it is causing (BIG hot button is reduction of productivity/efficiency). They can then take that information to their supervisor/department head of department that made the changes and request an exemption.

Given it affects work flow/productivity/efficiency/etc it would be an easy claim to make and will get the ball rolling on fixing it for you. This is what (middle) management is here for, it's what I do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:07 PM

We've been beat into submission. Earlier this year we showed evidence over a 3 month period with hard numbers of how much SolidCore was eating CPU and memory on our servers, and we were requesting that the GPO forcing SolidCore to be running be disabled for those specific machines. We tripled the CPU capacity and quadrupled the memory, as well as doubled the size of the farm to show that it was not the load on the farm that was inducing SolidCore to put load on the servers, but rather SolidCore by itself. Simply starting PowerShell took 30 seconds. Still no relief from IT Security. The only time they relented was about another 2 months later when their own SharePoint sites started slowing down and they were saying that the performance was unacceptable. We told them that the rest of the company had already been suffering what they are just now seeing. We got the exception for those servers. It's funny how our 3 months of data complete with graphs and correlation analysis did nothing, but when it was their SharePoint sites were affected it was suddenly "oh yeah, no biggie, we can turn it off."

We'd also gathered similar evidence of boot time, program start up time, time to copy files, etc. where productivity is severely impacted by their policies, but no go.

My manager goes to amazing lengths to fight for our team. It's just the corporate paranoia after the data breach that hit us two years ago. Security is paramount, even if it costs every employee an extra 60-75 minutes a day. Multiply that 60-75 minutes a day, by over 80,000 employees. On the bright side: 60 minutes per day, multiplied by 5 days and multiplied by 52 weeks gives us of 260 hours of paid time off while on the job. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:23 PM

Maybe it's the heels, but I have a tendency to always get my way. I am a great person to work for, a terrible person to work against =P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1