13 Replies - 1827 Views - Last Post: 13 June 2019 - 09:23 AM

• 😂😂😂
  • member icon

• View blog

Anyone Tried Visual Studio 2019 Yet?

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:59 AM

Has anyone tried out the new Visual Studio 2019 ??? I haven't yet because often times they change little things that drive me nuts like from 2015 -> 2017 they removed the old default font and I miss the 2015 font. Now I'm used to 2017 (and like it quite a bit) but that drove me nuts for a few months. I also didn't like the hash lines but now I like them. I'm not even sure what's new but scared to test it.

Recently in 15.9.3 they broke the ability to close and reopen VC++ header files when they're first opened. Ever since I've used VS there is an issue with VC++ .h files where the first time they're opened VS displays:

To prevent possible data loss before loading the designer, the following errors must be resolved:

1 Error

The data necessary to complete this operation is not yet available. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000000A)

Instances of this error (1)

this is no matter what version of VS and what version of win10. We used to be able to close the .h and then reopen to display but they messed that up lol. This is why I'm curious to get feedback before I switch to 2019. That issue I mentioned above was annoying but no big deal. It actually was a big deal before they released 15.9.4 because that trick no longer worked and I couldn't get into the view designer at all.

I use the community version though so I am definitely not complaining. This is darned good software for being free.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Anyone Tried Visual Studio 2019 Yet?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Anyone Tried Visual Studio 2019 Yet?

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:05 AM

No, not until it is out of beta.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2018 - 06:49 PM

In general with regard MS software, do not touch it until it is in Beta... preferably Beta 2, unless you are actually being paid to play with/use early versions. (Yes, this is coming for somebody who used to work for MS for over 17 years.)

If you really want to play with it, use one of the Azure VMs, or install on a completely separate machine. Although the DevDiv team has gotten much better with side-by-side installations of their products, its still not always a sure thing -- witness the MSBuild.exe and dependent .targets files fiasco that any build engineer has to deal with.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• 😂😂😂
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:25 PM

Skydiver
ahhh, so that's how you know the .NET so well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

Speaking of Visual Studio, I just did an update to 2017 and it required a computer restart. Really? Since when? I get the feeling Microsoft has come to just assume things need a restart. We should be looking to move towards a model closer to Linux where you can just update and not have to reboot anything.

As for the topic, I never touch anything from MS until official release. Not even the Betas. Unless you test for them, why even subject your precious computer to anything that is unfinished or buggy? You will be kicking yourself if one of those betas damages your computer. At least when it is officially released you can go "WTF Microsoft?" if it does some crazy stuff. Plus they won't just throw up their hands and go "It is beta, we warned you"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 😂😂😂
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:00 PM

This looks promising...

https://blog.xamarin...2019-preview-2/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 😂😂😂
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:44 PM

Best news in VS 2019 ... w3rd on teh street is that they've finally added a specific section of the syntax highlighting colors for C#. If I hadn't just installed 2017 again on a metered connection I'd be running 2019 just for that. I know there's workarounds for it by using shared types, but very annoying not having specific ability to change the C# colors.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

Perhaps I have written too much code on paper, then later on green or amber monochrome screens. I'm not really seeing the value of syntax coloring for programming languages. (I do admit, I find it very convenient in markup "languages" to find the actual text as opposed to the elements and attributes.)

To me, I find more value in symbol lookups/cross referencing. It doesn't matter as much whether the symbols are highlighted in a particular color, or not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:21 AM

I believe there is/was an extension for VS that enabled a theme and changing C# colours, if one really felt the need.

I saw that there is IntelliCode, AI. I haven't tried it and, cynically, I expect it to be annoying ;)

I think that there is a lot of work that could go in this direction, though, with AI. There are times when I am repeating steps/edits and I think "why doesn't VS recognise what I am doing and offer to do it for me?". (Or even computer-wide, between apps.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:30 AM

I am quite sure that Clippy will make a comeback with all these AI pushes...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 😂😂😂
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:08 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 20 March 2019 - 02:33 AM, said:

Perhaps I have written too much code on paper, then later on green or amber monochrome screens. I'm not really seeing the value of syntax coloring for programming languages. (I do admit, I find it very convenient in markup "languages" to find the actual text as opposed to the elements and attributes.)

To me, I find more value in symbol lookups/cross referencing. It doesn't matter as much whether the symbols are highlighted in a particular color, or not.

Yeah I could see how for more experienced programmers it wouldn't matter, but I like to colorize my code. It helps me with organization, and I also am a very aesthetic kind of guy. I enjoy brighter colors to keep things interesting. Ever since I realized that I could use syntax highlighting colors, I've done it. I know that with most things in life, once you've learned something with styles and techniques, not much is likely to change.

I'm not the only person who asked for this though; me and some other person posted about it and msft finally responded; that's how I know it's coming, and while there are third party extensions that do it.. I just never understood why even python has native colors but MSFTs own C# didn't have them native in VS.

andrewsw

Yeah I saw the AI changes too. I'm not into that, yet; although, I am extremely interested in going that direction eventually.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:12 PM

I broke down and installed VS2019 the other week. Been pretty smooth these past 3 weeks. Nothing jumping out yet making me want to go back to VS2017.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:20 AM

Everyone at work is now running it. It has several nice features, like references above a method rather than having to search for them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:23 AM

Just a few annoying things to clear up.. like the click to scroll and what not... but that was all solved by rooting around in some options.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1