1 Replies - 638 Views - Last Post: 27 December 2018 - 10:41 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Study Computer Science

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:44 PM

Hello,

Im quite new to this forum. To begin with is that AE/BE isn't my native language, so if u want to correct my grammatical mistakes, feel free to do that. (it is german, some questions may only be answered by germans in fact that our education system is different)

I'm 15 atm and I dont really know what to do as further education.
I found my interest in programming like 5 months ago. Since then i came to having (very ) basic knowledge in Python, C++, Java, Kotlin, Javascript and HTML. I didnt dislike programming websites and so on, so it ended up seperating myself from Javascript and HTML, also i chose to get myself rid of Kotlin and Java, so im stuck choosing between Python and C++. Sooo while i found my interest in those i found the study courses Informatics and Computer Science.
After getting some information i decided that Computer Science sounds the most fun to me, even though it's an English only course. Currently I'm in the 10th grade in the Economy Class (Last year, Realschule), after completing the recently on going class I decided to go to the "College" (germany: FOSS), where i can decide between a technical class, an economy class.

If there are Germans amongst us reading this Thread, do u have any experience or friends that switched to the technical class,altough they were in the economy class? If yes, is it hard to switch? I dont have that advanced Physics, Maths and Chemistry in the economy class. Will it be hard to catch them or will they start at the very beginning at the FOSS?

Do u guys have any experience in studying Computer Science in Germany? If yes tell me all u got.

In fact that i have enough time, can somebody suggest me some options to learn the Math Class's Maths, Ph[/font]ysics, Chemistry? (In case u dont start at the very beginning if u take the technical class in the FOSS?

I didnt really correct my whole writing here. So go! Correct me.

Thanks

View PostKayn, on 27 December 2018 - 07:42 PM, said:

I didnt dislike programming websites and so on, so it ended up seperating myself from Javascript and HTML,

, but I was a lot more excited at programming desktop applications and so on.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Study Computer Science

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Study Computer Science

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:41 PM

Welcome to DIC! If I understand your question correctly, you are curious about (among other things) how to start learning the fundamentals of math for computer science. If that's what you're interested in, probably the best place to start is with discrete math, which will give you a quick tour of sets, mathematical logic, number theory, graphs, combinatorics, and maybe a few other bits and bobs as well. It's often taught under the title "Math for Computer Science" and it's usually pretty accessible to people with little or no mathematical preparation. For example, you will probably not find that you're doing any calculus or geometry, and only a bit of elementary algebra. A number of elementary proofs in number theory turn on simplifying equations to show equality, so you'll want to have been awake for that, but beyond that you should be fine. The most important thing about this course is that it will get you started in thinking about real math, which is about structure and pattern and proof, and not so much about computing a numerical result. This will be important when you get to algorithmic analysis.

I strongly recommend you try to find some way to make this a collaborative study, either by taking a formal course in a real classroom with other students, or by finding some text and/or lectures (MIT open courseware offers a few options here) and forming a study group with some friends. Math is a much more social activity than most people realize, and a lot of the time it's best understood through discussion. I've often found that I thought I understood something from reading it, but when I tried to explain what I understood, either I'd got something subtly wrong or I'd missed some really interesting aspects of it. Find some other nerds and gang up on the problem. Not only will you end up learning more, you'll probably also have more fun.

I strongly recommend that you avoid falling into the tutorial trap. I've seen many of my friends and mentees lose a lot of time bouncing from one video to another, each purporting to explain some useful fragment of a math, tumbling down the youtube rabbit hole, and coming out days later little the wiser. Stay out of that! If you can find an actual full-length course of lectures (again, MIT open courseware is a good example, though others are out there), and you follow it through from start to finish, you will find that there is a reason that the material is presented as a sequence and not as a buffet.

Obviously, if you run into questions, you can always ask them here (presumably in the computer science sub-forum)
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1