9 Replies - 298 Views - Last Post: 22 January 2019 - 12:29 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Any thoughts, suggestions on small fun project of mine?

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:46 PM

Hello people!

I'm posting here because I'm "working" on something which is more of a leisure project than anything, and I'd like to know what you think about it, if you have any ideas, criticism etc..

I was basically done with having so many gadgets on my desktop (windows 7), I was using sticky notes, a clock, calendar, and I felt it was using too much memory for what it was (since I have a crappy laptop as of now, I try to use things that are as efficient as possible memory-wise).

So I made a program which works with username - password and which can do a few things thanks to commands that you type in which access different menus:
*Add and remove user
*Log on and off with users that are already registered in the program

for each user you can
*reset your password
*display a list of all commands and what they do
*set reminders, similar to sticky notes really, like a few words, a line at most
*set calendar events, with the date (year, month, day) and time, and you can also write a description of the event to go with that
*store personal information such as email account credentials, any type of credentials really, which you can only access for a certain user, having logged on with a password. You can either display all data, search with key word and display one specific one or delete some of course
*set an alarm (at the moment only one at a time) to go off within the next 24h (currently working on having it attached to date and time so that you can have multiple stored at the same time), sort of a reminder

And to make the info above accessible easily, I made a sleep screen, which toggles if you don't enter a command after 30 seconds. This sleep screen shows in real time and in order:
*date and time
*if an alarm is set, it displays the time and description of the alarm
*all reminders if there are any
*next event on calendar, with date, time, description
*and a small ascii art of a cat sleeping

As I said, it's really something I'm doing for fun, si I'd love to hear some suggestions as to what more could be added, or thoughts, criticism or anything really!

Have a good day/evening/night!

Regards,

Hugo.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Any thoughts, suggestions on small fun project of mine?

#2 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Any thoughts, suggestions on small fun project of mine?

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:36 PM

Moving to "Share Your Project"...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 20 January 2019 - 03:36 PM, said:

What do you mean?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:43 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 20 January 2019 - 03:36 PM, said:

Nvm got it, post moved to another forum. Since it's now not obvious, I'd like to point out that my project is done by only using C++ with no external libraries
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:15 PM

There is no need to quote the post above yours. Just use the big Reply button or the Fast Reply area.

I'm actually still using my old Windows 7 laptop to run Windows 10. When I got it, it was sort of a middle of the ground business class laptop from 2010. It started off with 8GB and still has 8GB of RAM. The only thing holding it back from being a great Win10 machine was its old 5400 RPM hard drive. When I replaced that with an SSD, it became a great Win10 machine for me. What's amazing is it can keep up with the current generation laptops that have been issued to me by work.

It's pretty interesting that you managed to implement everything without using any external libraries.

Why do you need to have to logon when Windows 7 already supports multiple users?

So how do the alarms work if the alarm is created for user A, but user B is the one who is currently logged on?

How do you keep the Windows 7 screen saver from kicking in and overriding your program?

How do you keep Windows 7 from going to sleep while on battery?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:05 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind for my next posts!

That's a great move you did, replacing the hard drive. But unfortunately mine is an old potato one (5yo now) the HD is prompting
failure errors, the battery is dead and lasts 15 minutes, so my next best move really is to buy a proper pc.

I plan on using SDL_2 in the future, to maybe make a gui for the whole thing, although I'm quite content for now with the look
of the program in the console. I'll use SDL_2 anyway to implement using a mp3 sound for alarms instead of the windows beep()
function which - while doing it's job - is meh haha.

The logon feature is mainly because the first feature for this project was to store personal data and information such as email
account credentials, credentials for sites online etc. And I thought it would be critical if someone walked in your computer
and could access them directly without any security.

Well the alarm is the least 'useful' thing as of now and I'm still working on it. Eventually it will be just like the calendar
events and the reminders, stored on a file for each user. The calendar, reminders, alarm are objects that are created when the user
logs in, and which is proper to each user since it's read from files. So to answer your question, if a user Alpha created an alarm to
go off at 8pm and a user Bravo logged on at 7:59pm, no, the alarm wouldn't go off, in fact it wouldn't exist for this user.

Well you're asking a good question, I had not thought about that at all since I disabled my screen saver and about sleep on battery,
same really.

I wouldn't make this program prevent anything happening in windows e.g. going to sleep or screen saver. I see it more as the old gadgets,
like a clock you can just drag and drop on your desktop, which ticks permanently in the background, since its sleep screen displays all
sorts of info (time, reminders, calendar events, alarm).

I can share my latest working version if you're interested :)/>

Anyway thanks a lot for your time and interest!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:48 AM

I thought that you weren't using any external libraries... Above you mentioned using the Windows Beep() function. That's an external library. If you were not using any external libraries, you would just be using what is directly available to you with just the standard C++ library. I guess, I'm not as impressed anymore.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

Oh right my bad sorry to disappoint you then my mistake! :)

If that makes you feel any better, I initially didn't user the beep() function but the '\a' sound was really
short and it sounded terrible so I went for a longer beep using said function.

Are you considering
<ctime>
as an external library then?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

No. But, I would consider conio.h or Windows.h to be an external library. I would also consider any function with a leading underscore like _getch() to be coming from an external library because it is non standard C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:29 AM

Oh okay I see, what I had in mind was that external libraries was ones that you had to manually include with dlls, but I see what you mean now!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1