3 Replies - 252 Views - Last Post: 25 January 2019 - 03:03 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Im starting college next year (Computer Science) What should I learn?

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:12 PM

Hi ! I'm starting my journey as a computer science student next year , do you have any suggestions for me ? I would like to become a software engineer after college , can you help me with some online courses that could help me get a head-start in college ?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Im starting college next year (Computer Science) What should I learn?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Im starting college next year (Computer Science) What should I learn?

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:19 PM

You should have a degree outline, right? See what your first semester of classes are going to be, hit up their 'more information' descriptions, and tackle something interesting from there.

Not sure why this is 'c++'. Moving to 'student corner'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

If you're thinking about doing some prep work, I suggest boning up on discrete math and linear algebra. You'll still want to take the courses when you get there, but it'll be a good pre-game for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 😂😂😂
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:03 PM

If you're going to be programming for Windows desktop /mobile droid,iOS,windows, I recommend C#/Xamarin/Visual studio .. if you're a google fanboy or doing webscripts you could do java/android studio .. if you're doing linux, I don't know jack about that. If you want to make webapps, I think angular is hot, but I'm not familiar with it personally.

I would stay away from C++ if I were you... java and C# are two good ones to start on IMO.

I started out in TI Basic on a graphing calculator though and that really helped me learn the fundamentals without getting overly caught up in syntax.

There are tutorials on this forum but what I really recommend is just coming up with an idea that you want to make (within reason and within your skill level) and just dive right in. However, you would also want to pepper that with technical tutorials so you don't end up like me... I can make extremely useful software but I make myself look like an idiot when talking to other programmers because I use the wrong words and don't know things that are really embarrassing.

If I were you I'd go into some combination of:
-programming
-data analytics
-AI/Deep learning
-robotics
-SQL

(for reasons of practicality in finding work with your degree)

happy coding :bananaman:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1