7 Replies - 223 Views - Last Post: 05 February 2019 - 10:00 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

GPS route

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:50 AM

Hi,
My customer wants program which should has the function of determining the daily route for the seller by marking each of the clients on the map via GPS coordinates. This has to be done in C# win forms and also for android deveices. Can i use google api maps to do so or something else. Can you let me know please.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: GPS route

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: GPS route

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:20 AM

Winforms is end of life and WPF is the way to go. Why would they want the application done in a program nearing end of life? Advise them that WPF/Xamarin would be more suitable for Cross Platform Development thus minimizing costs and minimizing the developer workload, and it would make building the platform easier as you can build mobile versions along with the desktop versions at the same time. Look into it. Yes, you would use Google API for this.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:44 AM

regarding google api, can i for free make real time navigation or ? Regarding cross platform i heard about xamarin - is that mean xamarin can be used as pc and android app writing one code?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:35 AM

UWP would be what you would want to use at this point. And yes, single code base, for the most part. But, if you want a desktop app and a mobile app to hold the same data, realtime or otherwise, you need a server that both connect to.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:40 AM

Yes in theory, that's what its for. You write code for your master project, and it synchronizes across the other platforms. You can find a bit more info on it here; regarding the different platforms you can target. You should steer clear of Winforms, and do some research into Xamarin cross platform tutorials. As there are plentiful resources for you to get started.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:48 AM

or otherwise, you need a server that both connect to.

Andrew, I think you're wrong on that one. Serverside is not required if doing cross-platform unless you're doing server/client integration technologies. You can make web service calls, async/await, LINQ, lambda, etc all in C# no problem. For the OP's project, server side integrations are not required afaics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:21 AM

I'll qualify my statement,

View Postnighttrain, on 05 February 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

My customer wants program which should has the function of determining the daily route for the seller by marking each of the clients on the map via GPS coordinates. This has to be done in C# win forms and also for android deveices.

So, where would the data be stored for the client addresses? I wouldn't want it hardcoded into the program. And there are two instances of the program running. To sync them, you would either need them talking to each other, which while possible, isn't a scalable approach, or a server that will handle it for any program that needs the info, am I correct on that statement?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:00 AM

The OP has not mentioned anything to do with server side technology being a requirement. But once the OP confirms the full scope of requirements, we will know.

As with most of these type applications, and having built some exactly like this recently. Most clients have the data published on a website directly. So when you say "server", I immediately think in terms of UDP/TCP client/server socket talking, where post would be simpler and efficient.

Clarity is a great necessity. :) Yea, that's clearer, but which would be better and likely cheaper? Using post methods to a five euro hosting website, or a dedicated server which I assume you meant for for some form of socket communication? Which isn't required. Which were you alluding to?

Having answered a long post last night on this type of communication, a web client could do this easy peasy https://stackoverflo...ient-in-c-sharp
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1