6 Replies - 650 Views - Last Post: 04 May 2019 - 10:38 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

GAME DESIGN

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:45 AM

Good day all,

Just another old crazy vet trying to make some kind of bad ass game. Where do i start? What should I do? well to start I was a chef in the Navy. I have worked well with Excell for recipe conversion spreadsheets. Also took Visual Basic programing in college and always good with math, most of the time. So the ideas I have for the game is vast and I know this will take a very long time to do on my own or even with a team. The creative ideas need to be prioritized and have come up with a short list of things I want to do.

1. Build the Game Scene.
this is going to be a planet part of a solar system. so the main planet, some moons, the sun, satellites maybe, black hole yes.

2. build player main profile.

3. build playable characters.

4. build player home scene. a moon of the main planet.

5. build building for the home scene.

6. build accessories for the playable characters. (weapons, armor, clothing, jewelry, ext.)

I would like to have the game integrated in to a few platforms; like online, android, apple, and pc. But i also just want to get started and have no idea how or where to begin.

Game engine so far has been the hardest. I have tried a few and just cant get a good feel for them even with all the tutorials. Like Godit was among the ones I looked at and liked. I'm still a noob and need lots of guidance for this project.

Anyone who can help guid me along in this is much appreciated in advance and hope to work with many good people as I learn more about Game Programing.

Thank you so much,
Chef Tuna

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: GAME DESIGN

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: GAME DESIGN

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:51 AM

chef in the Navy.

Is your name Ryback by chance? :D

You are right.. planning up front. Get all your needs and wants list. Organize what falls in 'crucial for a viable product' and what is 'gold plating'. Platforms.. 2d vs 3d.. needed assets (sound, graphics, menus, logos, etc) are important too.

I would suggest Unity. It's a little daunting to look at first, but a decent (recentish) book helps and their developer community (and reddit group) are great. Their 'learn' section is being constantly kept up to date.. and ultimately their engine works well for 2d and 3d. I dig it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:01 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 11 February 2019 - 10:51 AM, said:

chef in the Navy.

Is your name Ryback by chance?

No, my name is Matthew. All this is a bit new to me. I am at ground ZERO. but thats good because i don't want to waste time on stuff that don't worw.

I looked at utility fast. looks nice but I am poor. I was injured in the navy and disabled. Thats how I first found Godit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:57 AM

unity is free until you have a large company or make a ton of money.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:09 PM

arted to do the download. need a lot of spce on my pc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:23 PM

Yeah it's a beefy program.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:38 PM

View PostChefTuna, on 11 February 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

The creative ideas need to be prioritized and have come up with a short list of things I want to do.

The list will grow larger.

View Postmodi123_1, on 11 February 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

I would suggest Unity. It's a little daunting to look at first, but a decent (recentish) book helps and their developer community (and reddit group) are great. Their 'learn' section is being constantly kept up to date.. and ultimately their engine works well for 2d and 3d. I dig it.

To make it simpler, try using old Unity, to get to know the main things that will follow you forever, to get into it as a core. I started with version 2.5.0F5 in 2009 (whole Unity had ~100MB), in next several years i moved to 2.6.1, and later to 4.0.0F7 (it had ~1GB). In software size it looks like a big jump, but new versions brings new features, mostly 2 options in 1 one option, or 3in1 options, new technologies and support, new things here and there, and you can adopt easier since you know the core.
Its similar story as Photoshop version 6 from 2000, it have 30MB, and pretty much there are no differences between 2000 (version 6) and 2019 version.
I think its easier way (to follow product from early days) then jumping into something that got unlimited number of things and where you will spend lots of time reading.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1