7 Replies - 959 Views - Last Post: 13 February 2019 - 03:00 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Architecture and languages for a gambling site

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:04 PM

Hey Everyone,

I am looking to start a gambling website that is similar idea to this:
http://www.puntersclub.com.au/

Basically it is a gambling club where money is pooled each week, one person bets for the group and at the end all the money is used for whatever the group decides (bachelor party, seats to a game, ect)

I have no coding background and am trying to figure out the steps to launch this.

What is the architecture and programing language for a website of this type. It will need to plugin via API to something along these lines:
https://www.programm...ysis/2014/11/05

Not sure if that makes a difference but want to provide the information.

All help is appreciated since I am really just trying to get my feet under me while I start out.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Architecture and languages for a gambling site

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Architecture and languages for a gambling site

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:02 PM

So are you interested in the mechanics of the website, or you don't really care about the mechanics and just interested in the cha-ching of the money rolling in?

Or as an analogy, someone is thinking of opening a fine wood furniture store. Are they interested in the woodworking, or they don't care if Mr. Smith's 6th Grade woodworking class makes picnic benches as long as the store is selling a piece of handmade furniture at 500% mark up daily?

If you are interested in the mechanics, then time to learn how to code, as well as how to do graphic design. Also throw in time to study secure coding practices and how to defend from attacks.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:12 PM

I dont want to know how to use a drill or a hammer, but I want to know the steps to make one and what tools are used to make it.

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 11 February 2019 - 08:57 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed unnecessary quote. No need to quote the post above yours.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:31 PM

Websites are typically two major ends - front end (what the browser renders) and the back end or 'server side'.

The front is typically composed of html, css, js, graphics, etc. The back end is a server side language like php, asp.net, python, ruby, etc, a database, and a storage folder for files, images, etc.

There are a plethora of books to explain how to combine those into a functioning site. You can roll your own or look at using a content management system (CSM) like wordpress, drupal, or joomla.

Now with some sort of gambling and money there are a host of ancillary issues. Security of users logging in, a site to hold the money in escrow (think paypal), security of that transactions, laws and legal, a way to get the money out (most likely not instantaneous), and so on.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:14 PM

And then there are the interesting problems you want to have: you have grown so large that having just a single front end, or single backend isn't enough. You've already maxed out the amount of RAM and/or CPU you can afford at the machines. It is time to scale out, rather than scale up. Add more frontends and a load balancer in front of the frontends. Add another backend server or two. Maybe put a load balancer between the frontends and backend. Maybe a upgrade the single database machine to a multi server database cluster. Where before you could blithely assume every web/database request will come back to the same machine, now you cannot.

And when you get big enough and can't afford any downtime, your developers and/or operations folks will have the additional problem of figuring out how to do no-downtime deployments, as well as, no downtime patching and software upgrades. The aforementioned load balancer may make some of this things a lot easier as long as you have enough slack capacity.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:16 PM

That may be putting the cart six or twenty miles ahead of the horse. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:48 PM

Yup! If dreaming of all that money coming in because of how successful a betting site is going to be, might as well dream big. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:00 PM

To put what Skydiver is saying a little bit differently, a gambling website is just a website, and a website is a pretty straightforward idea in essence. Assuming you're not going old-school and serving static pages from a file system (you're not doing that) a website is just a machine that accepts requests in a defined format and returns responses based on the code and data that you've set up.

Your particular domain is a little more complicated than a standard retail shopping site in just the same way that a betting parlor is more complicated than a shoe store.

"Make a web site" is a problem that has many solutions, so you have lots of options, but none of them are going to work very well if you don't have some understanding of the fundamentals, or access to a full-time person who has that understanding.

So, if you're really interested in understanding the underlying construction of a website, it's going to take a little bit of work. Probably the best thing is to pick a framework based on a respectable language, such as Rails (ruby) or Django (python) and work through a beginner tutorial for that (the official django tutorial is very good). This will help you get an idea of what you need to learn in order to be able to start asking useful questions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1