5 Replies - 318 Views - Last Post: 15 February 2019 - 01:58 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I need help from a software engineer with a few questions

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:56 PM

As part of a project at my school I need to interview a software engineer about his job:

1. What do you do?

2. Why did you choose to engineer as a profession?

3. What are the challenges of being an engineer?

4. Do you have any hobbies or interests?

5. Where did you go to college? What college degree did you earn?

6. What classes would you recommend that I take in high school if I wish ti pursue an engineering career?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I need help from a software engineer with a few questions

#2 NeoTifa   User is online

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I need help from a software engineer with a few questions

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:53 AM

1. What do you do? Test automation engineer

2. Why did you choose to engineer as a profession? Because I like science and engineering and stuff. Also $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

3. What are the challenges of being an engineer? Red tape and dumb people

4. Do you have any hobbies or interests? Gaming, drawing/digital painting, bellydance, sew/crochet/knit/embroidery

5. Where did you go to college? What college degree did you earn? Wright State University, Ohio State University. I didn't finish. I wasn't privileged enough to had rich parents so I had to work full time while going, and just quit due to stress. I know my stuff though, that's how I still have a job.

6. What classes would you recommend that I take in high school if I wish ti pursue an engineering career? My school had very few classes, so I don't know what normal schools offer. If you have any computer classes, obviously take those. Language is handy because you can break down languages by components better, art for creative thinking and because I like art, music for similar reasons, and obviously pay attention in math class.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:07 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 13 February 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

3. What are the challenges of being an engineer? Red tape and dumb people

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:44 AM

1. What do you do? Cloud Systems/Solutions Architect

2. Why did you choose to engineer as a profession? I like solving complex problems, I like integrating disparate processes and concepts, and because the '08 recession kicked in less than a year after I got out of the Marine Corps so I was looking for an industry that seemed to be doing well despite the slowing economy.

3. What are the challenges of being an engineer? Learning to program, like learning serious math, teaches you to think differently. The people whose problems you're trying to solve with software systems do not think like that. It can be challenging to get them to think in terms of discrete problem statements, and not in terms of the solution they think they want.

4. Do you have any hobbies or interests? Gaming, shooting, and I used to camp a lot until I moved to a much hotter part of the country for my current gig

5. Where did you go to college? What college degree did you earn? WTAMU - BBA in CIS

6. What classes would you recommend that I take in high school if I wish ti to pursue an engineering career? Maatthhhssss; also, any computer classes you can get, including typing/"keyboarding". If you're going to be working through your fingers on a keyboard, you should be really good at it and you shouldn't have to think about it. It's no different than an athlete developing synaptic and muscle memory to automate the physical components of their sport so that they can devote their conscious mind to problem at hand.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:50 PM

View Postralphromero0912, on 12 February 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

As part of a project at my school I need to interview a software engineer about his job:

1. What do you do?
I write, fix and change software applications.

2. Why did you choose to engineer as a profession?
I was doing data processing and found it unchallenging. I looked at the people with more challenging technical positions, and programming seemed to be the most challenging. Plus, I liked freeware, and learning how to create programs seemed very cool.

3. What are the challenges of being an engineer? Mostly dealing with management. There's a lot less freedom than I would have hoped for, and you have to be careful about what you say to more powerful people because you don't know how they'll react and some of them aren't above anything.

4. Do you have any hobbies or interests?
Yes, I have a lot. Meditation, Buddhism, joggling (running while juggling), etc.

5. Where did you go to college? What college degree did you earn?
I got my bachelors in Social behavioral Sciences at Johns Hopkins. I got my master's at George Washington.

6. What classes would you recommend that I take in high school if I wish ti pursue an engineering career?
Any programming classes that they offer. If they don't offer programming classes, then other technical courses. Answers from people in traditional engineering fields (e.g. mechanical engineering, electrical engineering) might give you different answers.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:58 PM

tharpa with the joggling comment. :clap:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +