4 Replies - 254 Views - Last Post: 23 February 2019 - 07:32 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Tips for coding activities / careers that aid society/humanity in need

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:50 AM

Hi, like tasks that one could consider to be really, really needed. Not something like writing an app for somebody who would like some comfort. One may think of things like creating webpages for charities, or helping disabled people by designing electronic aids, maybe low cost solutions with microcontrollers, ect. Or processing/collecting data with help of self written programs, with benefit for people. So I mean: not really being competition, but somehow filling a void, where some help is needed. So i would like a collection of possible activities/ careers.

And pay could range from nothing to being able to secure livelyhood

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Tips for coding activities / careers that aid society/humanity in need

• quantum multiprover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tips for coding activities / careers that aid society/humanity in need

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:52 AM

You have mentioned a few, can you not think of more?

You could start by considering categories of those in need; poor, in poverty, in the undeveloped world, handicapped, lacking access to education, etc. (off the top of my head).

Then consider what such groups might need or benefit from, and how someone might meet or assist these needs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:19 AM

Hi, thank you. Sure, i could do top-down analysis of the whole field. Maybe I should narrow my broad question to maybe established activities /projects/careers that one could engage in without going out on a limb. Even simple things have to be thought out, even if I just provide a disabled person with an aid, it can make the person dependant and anxious, it can prohibit development of further natural adaption of the person to the disabilities. Maybe I would like some ideas, where there has been critical analysis already and some paths are already provided for
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:35 AM

Keep your eyes open. As the saying goes, see a need fill a need.

Posted Image

If folk stop and look around once and a while they can see programming options everywhere.. maybe start a club for local kids and tech... elderly support call center.. conduct training classes for those lacking skills, etc Outside of that find an area of interest and dig in.. contribute to online communities, answer questions, fix bugs in projects on github, etc.

Then look at the big boys and see what they are doing. Microsoft is never short of championing causes, finding innovative solutions with their CognativeSErvices, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2019 - 07:32 PM

Yes, there are some possibilities, generally one could tend to them. But for me personally, I do not really observe striking possibilities in my environment. With kids: I am single and being hispanic always am mistaken for being arab and seemingly get non-physically assaulted for that here. Not really a good idea. Elderly: Iīve seen some professionals specifically advertising servives for the elderly, I don't want to intrude, does not seem like a lucrative endeavor for them, and often elderly are not that needy, just saving their money, to stay financially secured. I personally donīt know anybody who is needy and in need of IT support. Sure there are some, but it does not seem like a critical problem
It should at least be something where I donīt ask myself: why am I doing this, how ist this really helpful, should I maybe rather be a caretaker for humans or something. So many, many people involved in IT already. "Maybe I would like some ideas, where there has been critical analysis already and some paths are already provided for" because I am a bit worried about doing more harm than helping, or just wasting my time and energy

edit:services for the elderly
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1