3 Replies - 1325 Views - Last Post: 12 March 2019 - 02:26 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Enhancing an existing VB6 system to interact with FTP

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:21 AM

HI

In essence I have to take over an existing vb6 system that is stand alone forms capture and I have been instructed to get the system to automatically FTP the forms to an FTP Server and then have a windows 2010 server pick up the forms from the said FTP Server. The full list of functions required are:
SENDTOSERVER Transfer the forms from the Client to the FTP Server
LISTFILES List the files (Forms) resident on the FTP Server
READSELECTION Pickup the required forms from the FTP Server in a Windows 2010 based VB program and download the forms
SENDTOCLIENT Transfer the processed form from the Windows Server to the Client
DELETEFROMFTP Delete the successfully downloaded forms from the READSELECTION on the FTP Server
I have never tried to make VB6 interact with other applications so I am at a loss. Can you please supply sample code as well as any References and / or Components I need.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Mac

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Enhancing an existing VB6 system to interact with FTP

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Enhancing an existing VB6 system to interact with FTP

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:33 AM

What have you discovered so far? How much progress have you made?

What is "stand alone forms capture"? Do you mean that the application captures images of visible VB6 forms?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:15 AM

hi Andrewsw

Thanks for your response.

The answers to your questions are as follows:
1. My progress is next to nothing in that I have search through the web and downloaded some suggestions but when I try to incorporate then into this system I get errors all over the place.
2. What I mean by "stand alone forms capture" is that the non server users are presented with forms for them to complete on their PC, laptop or tablet and these forms then need to be uploaded to the Windows server. Once the server has validated the form contents the server returns the details to the users.

Please remember I am a total communications novice and I am working with a system that was written by somebody else.
Please help
Mac
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:26 AM

A form is just a useful means for a user to submit data. The data itself would be collected and stored somewhere; typically in a database or spreadsheet, or perhaps to a text file. It would be such a file that you would transfer via FTP.

I search "vb6 ftp" and found Connecting ftp using vb6 code where someone discusses using something called Inet Control.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1