7 Replies - 352 Views - Last Post: 02 April 2019 - 06:02 PM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

[link] THE 2017 TECH LEAVERS STUDY

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:34 AM

https://www.kaporcen...g/tech-leavers/

I really don't know much about this Kapor Center so take it for a grain of salt, but seemed like an interesting discussion.

The Tech Leavers Study is a first-of-its-kind national study examining why people voluntarily left their jobs in tech. The Kapor Center and Harris Poll surveyed a representative sample of more than 2,000 U.S. adults who have left a job in a technology-related industry or function within the last three years.

What did we learn?

Workplace culture drives turnover, significantly affecting the retention of underrepresented groups, and costing the industry more than $16 billion each year.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [link] THE 2017 TECH LEAVERS STUDY

• quantum multiprover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [link] THE 2017 TECH LEAVERS STUDY

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:03 AM

Perhaps someone will introduce a site where people can discreetly and securely log their reason for leaving a company. At some stage, if someone chooses to pursue it further, it may be possible to assimilate information about a particular company.

(Something similar for another cause was mentioned in the paper a few days ago, but I have forgotten what it specifically concerned.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:07 AM

I figure folk can mine Glassdoor for that. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:33 AM

View Postandrewsw, on 13 March 2019 - 10:03 AM, said:

Perhaps someone will introduce a site where people can discreetly and securely log their reason for leaving a company.

& then you end up with a Yelp like structure of constant content containing drama, exaggerations, & even lying. The entire thing fizzles out when people become disinterested & lawsuits begin.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:56 PM

People leave for various reasons. I don't think we can really hope to solve this sort of thing, and I don't think we should expect that software development, or I.T for that matter will ever be totally inclusive. It takes a certain type of (partially insane) person to be good at this. It really seems that some people think that one day we will all be software developers and I really just don't see that happening. We all leave eventually, whether it be because we retire or because we realize early on that computers are annoying assholes.

Solutions like Yelp never work out the way you'd think initially, you end up with more negative reviews(which are not always accurate, and the person giving negative reviews could be lying to themselves to protect their ego and then blames everyone else which is extremely common) than anything, and then everything spirals from there. Sometime's there's no solution.

I just see these sorts of reports/studies etc as a way to try and keep people in the field that don't really want to be there, and nothing good ever comes from forcing the issue.

This post has been edited by NecroWinter: 27 March 2019 - 01:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:14 PM

Kapor as in Mitch Kapor? You might as well know who he is - Lotus, co-founder of EFF, Chandler? Well, that last one never hit, but there was a guy made a book about it. The book was titled... Dreaming In Code.
Anyway, he seems pretty legit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• quantum multiprover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:47 AM

Chandler as in Chanandler Bong?

(No, I see that it is a PIM.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:02 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 27 March 2019 - 10:14 PM, said:

Kapor as in Mitch Kapor? You might as well know who he is - Lotus, co-founder of EFF, Chandler?

Yes, him. Kapor Center Co-chairs
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1