6 Replies - 775 Views - Last Post: 21 March 2019 - 09:33 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

DevExpress: UI == Lazy Programing || UI == Smart Programing?

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:08 AM

I am not sure this is a C# question, although it relates to a WPF application. I have been doing all my XAML UI code myself and even if I do say so my self I have been able to make some good looking projects. BUT! After trying out DevExpress and all the functionality they provide with the WPF interface, I am thinking of using them for a big application I am working on now.

But, the big question is, and one that I can't seem to come to a conclusion as to, is using a tool like this just being lazy? Why I ask is b/c, I don't program for money, I do it to try and make my company more efficient, which I guess you could say is money driven. However, I also do it b/c I like it and that I like becoming experienced and knowledgeable myself so I don't need to have someone else do it for me. But the big difference is that it does not matter how the application looks. So here I am typing out my question and I am thinking to myself, I want efficiency and a product like DevEpress will also add efficiency to the application, so I am thinking that I am answering my own question inside this question.

But, anyway, what are your thoughts on using designers like these?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: DevExpress: UI == Lazy Programing || UI == Smart Programing?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: DevExpress: UI == Lazy Programing || UI == Smart Programing?

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:44 AM

is using a tool like this just being lazy?

No. No more than using a game engine like Unity makes you a lazy dev instead of bashing together some crap engine yourself. .. that or using an IDE makes you a lazy dev.

After a while if you are using a set of tools that makes your development better (with out giant compromised areas) it's all good.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:34 PM

Thanks Modi. I guess it keeps you focused on a more functional UI for the users.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• quantum multiprover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:44 AM

You haven't mentioned it, but it looks like DevExpress costs a lot of money. This is a significant factor to take into account.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:35 AM

Between 400 and 600 dollars I believe. Costly set of tools.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:47 AM

ive always been in the mind of what makes you more efficient makes you better--- why try to lay concrete with a bucket when a truck would be faster?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:33 AM

Part of being a developer is trying to make sure you're focusing on high-quality/high-value problems. The highest value parts of any custom dev solution are the differentiating parts of the application - the parts that make it different/better than other solutions addressing a similar problem space. Unless you're a UX designer by trade, building UI components won't generally be your greatest value-add to a software solution. While I think it is very important to understand how tools are solving problems (which generally comes from at least trying something manually first, like rolling your own simple ORM), in terms of a software project there is a lot of value in "outsourcing" some components that aren't your specialty. I think this applies even more in the UI/UX space, because standardization of UI components can help create a more consistent look-and-feel between apps, even if they don't share specific style themes.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1