• +
  • Last »

93 Replies - 3282 Views - Last Post: 15 April 2019 - 01:21 PM

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

2019 Fitness

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:09 AM

Alright, kids! I got some shitty ass news that means if I want to live a long life, I'm going to have to get off my fat ass, stop shoving food in my jib, and wake my sorry butt up at ungodly hours of the morning to workout.

That said, I need motivation - and the best motivation is always other people who are slogging through the fitness crap right along side you. So I'm reviving the long-dead fitness thread of old. Welcome, friends.

------------------------------------------------------------

Personal update: I am now the heaviest I have ever been. The most intense portion of my daily fitness routine consists of walking from my desk chair to the bathroom and back. I've found myself in a position where I am unable to stop shoveling food into my face - sweets, in particular - all day, every day, like a fat, cranky vacuum.

Anyway, I have now received the official, the unthinkable, the Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis. I should have known years ago when I started having to pluck random mustache hairs that I was being slowly possessed by the spirit of Wilford Brimley, but I was in denial and attributed it to approaching middle age. So here I am, Wilford has taken over, and I have to curb my candy addiction and carve away the whale blubber that has currently engulfed my entire being.

Whee!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 4
  • +

Replies To: 2019 Fitness

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 2019 Fitness

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:18 AM

That's some shit news, but positive you are getting up and going.

Been circling the keto option, but trying to get back into a gym routine first.. winter was brutal and more or less stopped going for January through early March.

Edit:
current mood expressed by awkward yetti on twitter.

Posted Image

https://twitter.com/...757944303271936
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:31 AM

Yeah, I just inhaled a bag of Reese's Pieces. Now I feel like I should probably not do that anymore. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:40 AM

Sweets are definitely something that just have to be off limits for me. When I completely cut them out, I stop craving them relatively quickly and don't have trouble resisting temptation. If I let someone convince me to have a cookie or a brownie though, it's really hard not to say one more is okay.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:42 AM

I keep getting Facebook ads for some sort of mints that are supposed to make sugar taste like shit. I keep wondering if they're worth the money.

This post has been edited by BenignDesign: 21 March 2019 - 11:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:02 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 21 March 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

I have now received the official, the unthinkable, the Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis.

Been there, done that, fixed it. :P

Fun fact, over half the US population is diabetic or pre-diabetic ( https://www.latimes....-htmlstory.html ) because our diet sucks and the folks who make tasty garbage are in the business of obfuscating the solution: not eating the shit they sell. Seriously, remember that Coke campaign: https://well.blogs.n...from-bad-diets/

When I got my "you got the betus, let's talk drugs" diagnosis I had an HbA1c of 10. I declined drugs, and got the "you'll need to change your life radically, loose weight, etc." with a heavy subtext of "and clearly you're incapably of doing that." Yep, understood. After 90 days, I was down 25lbs and that nasty little number as down to 5.7. "Um, that's good. Ok, amazing. But, of course, you can't keep it up, come back in 90 days." Another 90 days, still loosing weight but slower, and that number was "oh, blood sugar's fine, let's talk about lipids." ( Don't get me started on cholesterol misinformation. ) I had to prompt them for the number: 5.2.

How to fix it? No carbs. Reversing Type 2 diabetes starts with ignoring the guidelines | Sarah Hallberg | TEDxPurdueU

I'd done the low carb thing before, but now a lot of science has caught up. Indeed, they now have fancy, even trendy, names for my diet choices: Keto and IF. It's not for everyone, but I've done it for years. Sugar actually elicits a dopamine response, like any other addicting substance. Once you dry out, life gets easier.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:08 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 21 March 2019 - 12:18 PM, said:

Been circling the keto option, but trying to get back into a gym routine first

My girlfriend and I are doing the Keto thing, I've never managed to stick to a diet in my entire existence but surprisingly in a week I lost 10lbs - putting me at the lowest I have ever been in the US (outside of on immediate return from the UK where I have a tendency to get so stressed that I maybe eat once a week)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:11 PM

bourbon and beer is my new exercise trend
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:28 PM

As far as sweets go, I find that I'm most satisfied with a very small amount of something that actually tastes good, and much less so with any amount of junk. When the girlfiend and I go for ice cream, we go to one of the local Good Ice Cream shops (JP Licks is a good one) and get a cup of whatever it is she wants and an espresso for me. I have a couple of spoons of ice cream and I'm all set. (and this happens, at most once in a month) If I get the supermarket crap, I can shovel in as much as you like and I still feel like I want more.

From my reading, and from talking to some people who used to work in "food tech", this is intentional. Snack foods now are engineered to produce a little satisfaction and just a tad bit more dissatisfaction - so you get the sense of some sort of relief of desire, immediately followed by an urge for more. This is also why their marketing has started to legitimize the use of addictive terminologies like "craving" and "crack" and indeed "addictive" in speaking about these pseudo-foods. The whole point is to create and reinforce cravings for the product. (there was a fantastic breakdown somewhere of how the Dorito is engineered to create an endless loop - I wish I remember where I read it)

So basically, my advice is to start by slowing down. Eat the sweets, but take the time to really taste them. If you do this, you might notice that normal American candies don't actually taste good in any ordinary sense. They're not enjoyable to eat. A Reeses cup for example has a distinct sour flavor to it that is actually quite unpleasant if you bother to notice it.
Next, go get some good chocolate. Spend a few bucks on something like a bar from Theo - still something you can find in a supermarket, but they actually are trying to make something that tastes like chocolate. Again, slow down and taste it. You might have to experiment to find the stuff you really like, but that's not a bad thing.

If my hypothesis is right, you'll find that a little bit of the good stuff goes a long way, and you want less of the Standard American Sweets.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostTechnoBear, on 21 March 2019 - 02:08 PM, said:

My girlfriend and I are doing the Keto thing

Be very cautious. This is actually a pretty unhealthy sort of diet, and back when they called it "Atkins" it was causing all sorts of nasty side effects. If you look at starvation effects, there's a lot of research that indicates that this sort of thing can really mess up your metabolism. (ie, you convince your body that food is scarce, so it slows down to conserve food, which means you're less able to exercise, and ultimately you gain weight in the long run)

In general, fad diets are pretty bad for you. Bittman's rule is a good one: eat food, mostly plants, not too much. Most food is good for you, you just have to find the right balance.

I find the most helpful thing is to try as much as possible to cook your own food from raw materials. Eating out once in a while is fine, but in general the food you cook for yourself is going to be a lot better for you than the stuff you buy prepared for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 21 March 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

View PostTechnoBear, on 21 March 2019 - 02:08 PM, said:

My girlfriend and I are doing the Keto thing

Be very cautious. This is actually a pretty unhealthy sort of diet

No, it's not. But, by all means, offer some evidence for this assertion.

I've been doing keto for years. When you tell someone this, you often get this kind of response. So, you look into the veracity of such claims. Indeed, you fact check all claims, pro and con.

When considering claims, it's always a good idea to consider the source and bias. One interesting and influential example is the now semi infamous Ancel Keys study: https://www.healthli...ies-bad-science

Pretty much every diet study in the last 20 years had fundamentally refuted the USDA Food Pyramid. ( Um, now plate. )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 😂😂😂
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:10 PM

I had to change my diet in order to get rid of acne but it still comes back if I let my diet go too much. I did a ton of research on diet back when I worked at the Central Michigan University library. I read a ton of journal articles about it (i worked in the th ird floor room with the expensive journals). If you're looking to stabilize blood sugar you can listen to this podcast that I made a while ago. It is relevant because blood sugar spikes cause the skin to emit oil which the acne bacteria feed on. This is why they are related (for some people). Blood sugar spikes are also bad for diabetics. You might find this useful for changing diet

https://www.bitchute...o/54Ta4OpsodGd/

Not medical advice just my research and experience
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:28 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 21 March 2019 - 03:10 PM, said:

Be very cautious. This is actually a pretty unhealthy sort of diet

No, it's not. But, by all means, offer some evidence for this assertion.

Fair enough, perhaps I've overstated the case. Are you happier with "it has known and well-documented negative side effects, little support for long-term positive health claims, and the initial weight loss tends to taper off as the metabolism adjusts to the new regime, providing little in the way of long term benefits in terms of weight"?

This is certainly what I've seen in my friends who have tried variations on this over the decades going back to the Atkins craze and coming up through Paleo and Keto. (see, I can anecdote too). It's also more or less what this dude says: https://www.health.h...u-2017072712089

His takeaway seems sound to me: "A balanced, unprocessed diet, rich in very colorful fruits and vegetables, lean meats, fish, whole grains, nuts, seeds, olive oil, and lots of water seems to have the best evidence for a long, healthier, vibrant life."

If you want to get into a deeper nerd fight, I'm not really that bothered. You can have the duck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:55 AM

@jon.kiparsky: Well, like I said, evidence. So, "it has known and well-documented negative side effects" requires some documentation. Now, to stave off the deep nerd fight, and to be fair, you will find a plethora of google hits sounding alarms and waving hands about low carb in general and keto in particular. However, well hyped is not well documented. You'll often find the most dire studies are completely failing to test even low carb in their low carb tests, stacking the deck for whoever funded the study. e.g. https://www.psycholo...tics-no-science

Also, low carb and keto are not synonymous. I did Atkins decades ago with reasonable success. While Atkins got the low carb right, it still held to the 70s low fat mantra, which is a problem. Keto identifies why low carb works, emphasizing high fat.

Your body can't burn fat in the presence of insulin and it will prefer carbs if it's used to them. And, this is important, if the body is preferring carbs, deprived of them, and then given enough protein, it will get the carbs from that. Protein also spikes insulin, so with high enough protein you never actually get off the carb ride, using a process called gluconeogenesis to break protein down into glycogen. Interestingly, the effect of protein on insulin is much lower in the absence of carbs. Once the body figures out it needs to shift to fat for fuel, ketosis, all is well.

Hmmm "little support for long-term positive health claims." Depends on the claim, of course. This one ain't bad, though: Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients. It should be noted that keto is the norm for a number of indigenous folks. Traditional Inuit and Mongol diets are about as keto as it gets.

And "the initial weight loss tends to taper off as the metabolism adjusts to the new regime" is how all diets work. If your body needs 2500 Kcal and you give it 1800, your weight will go down. However, as your weight goes down, you will no longer need 2500, so as that set point declines, so does the rate of loss. This, of course, is why fad diets are doomed.

Again "providing little in the way of long term benefits in terms of weight" is all diets. And, really, why a temporary diet fails. The myth of keto is that it can't be maintained. Or, more commonly, that people do keto and then move to some other diet, because who could stick to keto. Keto isn't hard to maintain, lacking the hunger and deprivation of most diets. Yeah, you don't get doughnuts, but that's not on anyone's diet.

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 21 March 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

His takeaway seems sound to me: "A balanced, unprocessed diet, rich in very colorful fruits and vegetables, lean meats, fish, whole grains, nuts, seeds, olive oil, and lots of water seems to have the best evidence for a long, healthier, vibrant life."

Hmm... fruits, no. Fructose... this is a whole issue unto itself. If you're going to eat fruits, eat the whole fruit, but they really aren't as good for you as the hype. Veggies, yes. However, starch bombs like potatoes, no. Lean meats are the problem. Lean animals are starving. Eat healthy animals with enough fat so that you know they died happy. Whole grains are propaganda. No grains are really that good for you and our modern variants are even worse. Olive oil is far better than the death that is corn and rape seed oil. However, and this will shock you, saturated fats like coconut, butter and, wait for it, lard, are better for you. Again, read about Ancel.

I'm with you on the balanced and unprocessed part. Just what that balance is debatable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:59 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 21 March 2019 - 02:02 PM, said:

How to fix it? No carbs.

I'd done the low carb thing before, but now a lot of science has caught up. Indeed, they now have fancy, even trendy, names for my diet choices: Keto and IF. It's not for everyone, but I've done it for years. Sugar actually elicits a dopamine response, like any other addicting substance. Once you dry out, life gets easier.

But I LOOOOVE carbs! I know they are my problem and I know getting rid of them is my solution. I lost 75 pounds doing the South Beach diet years ago (I was 26-ish back then). I've packed it all back on plus some in the decade+ since then, but I know I can lose weight by cutting the carbs. I just fucking love carbs. Not just junk food either, but fruit and yogurt and oatmeal. Having my cup of yogurt is what gets me out of bed in the morning. Well, that and the promise of a hot cup of coffee.

The biggest carb issue I'm having right now is a complete lack of willpower. I can't eliminate all the carbs in my house. My daughter's a Type 1 Diabetic - we HAVE to have carbs for her. And I can't give her a plate of pasta and expect my other kid not to want pasta. And my husband will want pasta. Which leaves me either cooking two meals every night or eating salads of sadness while my family scarfs down deliciousness. I think I could manage for a week or two, but sooner or later, I'm going to break down and have the pasta. And I'm a damned dessert fiend. What's the point of living a long life if I have to spend it watching other people eat all the good shit while I munch on greens and meat?

I suppose I'm just cycling through the stages of grief right now, sitting somewhere between denial and anger at the moment.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »