• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

101 Replies - 3834 Views - Last Post: 23 April 2019 - 11:31 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: 2019 Fitness

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:33 AM

Your sense of humor is in good shape (salads of sadness LOL).

I'm cheating on my no soda rule right now. I crave it. Tonight I'll recommit, and hopefully go another two weeks without cheating.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:23 AM

I've finally gotten to the point where I no longer crave or are interested in pop, thankfully. Also Monster. BUT I am on those sugary Starbucks drinks :(. Also, like I said before, I'm struggling with my diet since I cannot eat meat anymore, and carbs tend to make up the majority of my diet. I'm still trying to adjust it. Especially with me being sick recently, I haven't cooked myself in 2 weeks. v_v
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:25 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 22 March 2019 - 06:59 AM, said:

But I LOOOOVE carbs!

Understood. Me too. But I also love bacon, cheese, eggs, etc, all on my diet. You choose your battles.

Never did the salads thing, really. Though, again, if you're doing keto, drown those things in blue cheese and life is good.

As you know Diabetes Type 1 is the pancreas not pumping out enough insulin. Type 2 is a different beast, where the pancreas is working as hard as it can, producing tons of insulin, but has been doing it for so long your cells have built up insulin resistance to the point the system doesn't work.

The best thing you can do for your system, and this goes for anyone but particularly for anyone with any form of insulin resistance, is to reduce your body's insulin production. Which is to say, cut carbs and even some protein: enjoy the fat. Studies find insulin resistance can improve if you give your body a break. Curiously, the other solution is to pump you full of exogenous insulin, which will improve blood sugar but has a host of other issues.

Sugar, carbs, ARE addictive. Not just figuratively, but literally. The first step is admitting you have a problem... ;)

If fear is a good motivator, google "grain brain" and "type 3 diabetes." Spoilers, your brain runs on glucose. Guess what happens when that is also insulin resistant?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:33 AM

Honestly, we are doing great with the whole Keto diet thing. I've always cooked from scratch, given my classical culinary training, so working with raw ingredients is a non-issue in our house. My biggest complaint about the diet is that I miss breads, I've always been a big fan of soft warm bread.

As far as the diet itself though, I've found that we are both eating smaller portions and with a little extra effort there isn't anything we cannot eat... It's mostly finding starch (potato, rice, etc.) replacements that cause me issues as a lot of my stronger recipes rely on that a lot.

Honestly though, I think it is the higher fat content which is actually causing us to eat less overall and the focus of proteins allow for some flavorful meals. I really wasn't expecting to be able to work with this diet as easily as I have been, but I've not really had to give up anything just had to find alternatives in some cases.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:52 AM

I'm also a dessert fiend. I literally have dreams where I'm going to a buffet of some sort, whether an all you can eat or an a la carte setup, and just looking at all the desserts and piling them onto a plate. The a la carte dreams I'm worried about money because these desserts are all fancy. I'm not talking ice creams and apple pie, I'm talking gourmet cheesecakes, truffles, cakes, etc. that you would find in a 5 star restaurant. The buffet dreams seem to revolve around desserts and also noodles, like a Chinese buffet or something. Literal dreams, all the time. It's like my most recurring dream. Unfortunately, I never get to eat them. I'm always only ever just loading them onto my plate like "ooh wanna try this, OOOOH look at that!"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:42 AM

View PostTechnoBear, on 22 March 2019 - 08:33 AM, said:

It's mostly finding starch (potato, rice, etc.) replacements that cause me issues as a lot of my stronger recipes rely on that a lot.

Indeed, some alchemy doesn't work without the right components in just the right configuration. Still, I cook a lot, as well. Anything in particular?

We've found almond and coconut flour are good for some jobs. Some sauces thickened with flour can do well with just egg yolks.

Cauliflower is popular as an odd bread replacement. It seems to be trending now as a pizza crust. Unfortunately, I find anything done with cauliflower still tastes like cauliflower.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:46 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 22 March 2019 - 02:55 AM, said:

@jon.kiparsky: Well, like I said, evidence.

Sounds nice. However, "evidence" is a bit problematic in this area. First, because neither of us really has the expertise to evaluate the evidence or the time to do the in-depth literature review that would be required to make a convincing case on this, so we'd both just be cherry-picking and there's plenty of studies making all sort of claims.
Second, because I don't really want to go down that path. It just sounds unpleasant, and I don't want to spend my time arguing with you about something that you're clearly not willing to be convinced on. Who needs that? You can have the duck.
Third, my reading of the popular reporting, mostly the Times' science reporting but also other sources, convinces me that serious nutritionists find that there is not convincing evidence that "X diet is the killer app for all people" - for any X in the set of fad diets. If such a study existed, I would not find that the general consensus offered by sober science reporting for the layperson is always some variation on the prescription offered by the Harvard dude I cited earlier. If I thought there were

So, "it has known and well-documented negative side effects" requires some documentation ... you will find a plethora of google hits sounding alarms and waving hands about low carb in general and keto in particular.

I specifically chose to ignore those, because again, most of what you find on the web about health is bunk, see point three above.

Traditional Inuit and Mongol diets are about as keto as it gets.

I'm willing to buy it on the Inuit claim, but apparently this is not true for Mongols. I happen to have someone nearby who has more background on this than either of us (has been to Mongolia and done archaeology there, speaks some Mongolian, has been doing this for about two years now, is going back to Mongolia for another dig this spring, etc)
Her response when I asked her about the Mongol diet claim:

If you go back to the 1200s the nomadic population was interspersed with other ethnic groups who were agricultural. So they traded for or raided for the wheat of the north.
Going back farther it looks like agriculture was introduced to the Steppes in about 2000 BCE

For the Inuits, I'm personally a little skeptical but I don't have a local expert on that and frankly I don't care that much.

And "the initial weight loss tends to taper off as the metabolism adjusts to the new regime" is how all diets work.

Yes. This is why any claim that "X diet cures fatness" is bunk.

Again "providing little in the way of long term benefits in terms of weight" is all diets.

Again, yes. So apparently we agree on a thing: someone who chooses keto for the weight loss is choosing poorly, because while you can easily increase your weight by consuming stupidly, it does not seem to be the case that you can lose weight by consuming smart.

Again, I don't think there is a lot of point in trying to convince you that the standard consensus that most people who look at this stuff for a living have come to is a good piece of advice and I'm not going to bother. I wonder if we might also agree that the most general correct advice about weight loss would be "find a sane diet that doesn't make you feel bad and controls your caloric intake in a reasonable way, and stick with it while increasing your daily physical activity in a sane way that doesn't make you feel bad". If so, I'm willing to call it good.

FWIW, I would suggest that you tone it down a little bit, you start to sound like a militant vegan at the end there. (I'm thinking in particular of the woman who lived in my house for a while who would write "deadly poison" on the milk carton with a sharpie) If you want to convince people, calmer is probably going to work better. But that's up to you.

View PostBenignDesign, on 22 March 2019 - 06:59 AM, said:

What's the point of living a long life if I have to spend it watching other people eat all the good shit while I munch on greens and meat?

You can learn to enjoy greens and meat. They can both be cooked to be quite tasty.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 andrewsw   User is online

• quantum multiprover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:58 AM

Today I will mostly be eating... taramasalata

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:03 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 22 March 2019 - 08:42 AM, said:

Indeed, some alchemy doesn't work without the right components in just the right configuration. Still, I cook a lot, as well. Anything in particular?

I use Almond Flour for everything that used Flour before, it is a little strange to work with initially but ultimately performs the exact same function so is a non-issue. As far as potatoes, I have not found a worthy replacement and so am just omitting them from recipes which is not very fun.

For rice we have been grating up Cauliflower to make Cauliflower Rice, but I would really like to find something that tastes more like rice as the flavor change has a big impact on my curries and that is less than desirable.

So, if anybody has a good rice replacement I am all ears...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:47 AM

I know this is counter intuitive, but paratha or roti. You can make veggie paratha by boiling mixed veggies, mashing them, supplementing with some flour (im sure coconut flour would work wonderfully) and oil, make thin circular patties with them then fry them in a pan with a little oil. https://www.google.c...ab&safe=active&

Speaking of cauliflower, we had a "game day" type bar in the cafeteria today, and they had battered cauliflower and they tossed it in bbq or buffalo sauce. I got bbq. A little too sweet for my liking, but it was a great sub for chicken. With the waffle fries it was like I never even missed the chicken. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:49 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 22 March 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

However, "evidence" is a bit problematic in this area.

Indeed. But you were the one making the claim. Now you seem to have moved "toward nothing to can be shown either way." So be it.

most of what you find on the web about health is bunk

Agreed. Which is why tracking down unfiltered source material is useful and informative.

So apparently we agree on a thing: someone who chooses keto for the weight loss is choosing poorly

Not entirely. Any diet you can stick with for life is a good choice. If the plan is to go right back to doughnuts, then bad idea. However, if the goal is to burn fat...

Stored fat is something a body is loathe to burn. Even eating sensibly, or at a significant caloric deficit, getting to the point of actual fat loss is more complex than calorie in, calorie out. I've dropped weight and kept it off many times in my life. Never really gone back up. It's getting into the state where stores are actually being burnt through that's the challenge.

On a carb based diet, you'll have to burn through both meals and glycogen stores before you start burning fat, if the body ever makes that shift. Then, the very next carby meal replenishes that glycogen and you have to burn your way down again, all the time ghrelin is going through the roof as the body fights touching those fat stores. Avoiding carbs means stepping off that roller coaster and really does come closer to calorie in, calorie out, as the body shifts from dietary fat to body fat without complaint.

but apparently this is not true for Mongols. I happen to have someone nearby who has more background on this than either of us

An appeal to the authority of "I know a guy." :P I know a Mongolian native, but that's neither here nor there. I wasn't actually referencing historical Mongolia, in any case.

Mongolian cuisine predominantly consists of dairy products, meat, and animal fats. ... The extreme continental climate of Mongolia has influenced the traditional diet. Use of vegetables and spices are limited.
-- https://en.wikipedia...ngolian_cuisine

I recall years ago National Geo did an amazing piece showing families around the world sitting in from the their dinner tables stacked with weekly groceries. The mongol table looked like a butchers' spread. Damn, can't find the photo. Looks like a book with a similar idea came out, but I'm pretty sure this was earlier.

In my googling, I did find this, which was amusing.

Mongols categorized food into two groups: Ulaan Idee, red foods like meat, mainly eaten in the winter and spring; and Tsagaan Idee, white foods like dairy products, mostly eaten in the summer and fall. Vegetables were considered as a form of grass and called “goat food.” The Mongols were thoroughly disgusted that farmers ate plants that grew in the dirt and had often been fertilized with excrement.
-- https://www.madfeed....he-mongol-diet/

Looks like Euro travelogue, so probably not that reliable. Though, probably as reliable as any other guy on the internet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:06 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 22 March 2019 - 11:49 AM, said:

but apparently this is not true for Mongols. I happen to have someone nearby who has more background on this than either of us

An appeal to the authority of "I know a guy." :P/> I know a Mongolian native, but that's neither here nor there. I wasn't actually referencing historical Mongolia, in any case.

Well, I do know a guy. In this case, she's my partner and it's been pretty much her obsession for the last two years, so I'm hearing a lot about it. And since this person has actually done the work, which neither of us are going to, her reporting is more useful than whatever we choose to make up, or find made up for us on the interwebs.

Nor prehistorical, apparently. But if you're talking about contemporary Mongolia, what Nadia found there was basically they're putting rice on their potatoes, except when they do it the other way around. Also, lots of goat, but in no way does the contemporary Mongolian diet eschew carbs.

Mongolian cuisine predominantly consists of dairy products, meat, and animal fats. ... The extreme continental climate of Mongolia has influenced the traditional diet. Use of vegetables and spices are limited.
-- https://en.wikipedia...ngolian_cuisine

Sorry, I was confused by your use of the word "traditional", thought you meant, like, "traditional". If you want to talk about Mongol diets today, you will generally not find a lot of veg on the table, but plenty of carbs. Not sure if that helps you that much, but that's a report from someone who's been there and eaten with Mongolians, in their homes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

On the cauliflower thing, we get a vegetable delivery weekly, and lately there's lots of cauliflower, so I've been having to come up with things to do with it. The winning play so far is a sort of "cauliflower chili" - basically, you're sauteeing your onions and garlic and adding well-chopped cauliflower and some tvp (because the girlfiend likes her tvp) and some black beans or red beans (because chili without beans is illegal). A can or two of tomatoes, and you're pretty much in. For flavor, I'm usually using some canned chipotles in adobo sauce, cumin, smoked salt for depth, and whatever herbs seem right that day.

Put it on your favorite grain, and you're off to the races!

Or skip the grain, if you're on a no-food diet...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

You know, instead of arguing over Mongolian street cred, you guys could just post dick pics, see which one is bigger, and end this once and for all. Just sayin'.

This post has been edited by BenignDesign: 22 March 2019 - 10:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:20 AM

There you go again, B9, trolling for dick pics again...

Here's some:
https://bit.ly/2U4kICY

And here:
https://bit.ly/2YgYyfT

And also here:
https://amzn.to/2JudYtY

That oughta satisfy you for a while...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +