11 Replies - 578 Views - Last Post: 24 March 2019 - 04:44 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

hibernation-device UUID xyz not found -> dropped into emergency sh

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:10 AM

good day dear expers on this great great platform dreamincode.

well today i do not have python perl php - or database-question. No i have a linux question.

its kind of a strage question_,

well on a manjaro-linux installation on a notebook i have gotten a freezing

then i switched it of - and afterward i have seen such a warning

hibernation-device UUID xyz not found -> dropped into emergency shell

Guess i have to install fresh

but i do not want to loose data _ how to proceed in installing manjaro !?

Love to hear from you!

greetings

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: hibernation-device UUID xyz not found -> dropped into emergency sh

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: hibernation-device UUID xyz not found -> dropped into emergency sh

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:07 AM

I'm pretty well coursed in Linux and server technology platforms and I can tell you this one won't be fixed easy. You could spend all your time wgeting packages that are missing, and so-forth, but I think you've possibly also corrupted your user account as well, and you might be best to simply reinstall. It's never a good sign when you get dropped into an emergency shell. https://manjaro.gith...ort/firststeps/ I'd imagine, rescuing this system will burn your eyeballs. Also, why use Manjaro? There are better alternatives...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:05 PM

dear community,

i want to install Manjaoro 18.04 on a notebook -

the question: do i need EFI to do so

can i switch the EFI off in the Bios!?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:07 PM

What you mean by " need EFI "?
Need in what way?
Do you mean 'UEFI'?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:13 PM

hello dear Sheepings

many many thanks for the quick reply - i am on the way to a fresh installation

and i have my certain quesions here. See the next thread above here in this great forum. Regarding EFI. Do i need to have EFi !? For the linux installation?

But - wait - what about Manjaro - i have used Suse-Linux for over a decade - in the last year i got to know manaor - and - i must say - i love it.

It is a great sytem - with rolling releases and a good and gloal team!?

see the ratings on distrowatch.com - it is top rated.. isn t this a great indicator for being a top system1?

love to hear from you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:14 PM

Do i need to have EFi !?

That's a broad question which can be answered and questioned in so many ways. Since you haven't clarified which you decided to install... EFI partitions are commonly used in Windows in conjunction with UEFI on modern mother boards. If a EFI partition is dropped or deleted, you will prevent that dependent OS from starting. Are you duel-booting? If you are installing it on a external HDD, you don't need it. Alternative partitions will be required though, which your installer should confirm.

If you use EFI partitions, note that this is not reversible once written; as your bootloaders will be stored there, and EFI partitions are required for GPT booting. If you are using UEFI boot, it is mandatory to have a EFI partition, because this is where drivers will be launched from; by the UEFI firmware, as-is also where bootloaders are stored. If you want to learn more, I suggest this link. https://www.ghacks.n...ion-structures/ So, should you use /boot/efi partition? Absolutely, I'd recommended it. There are some OS's which will allow you to skip EFI and just install to /boot.

It is a great sytem

I don't follow... Which are we talking about, Suse or Manjaro? If Suse, then yea, its well maintained. But its not one I'd recommend for daily everyday use on a laptop were your primary use is music and videos, and netflix.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:32 AM

hello dear modi,

many thanks for the quick reply - it is a Notebook by the vendor Asus - called A54 L with a I3 Protessor and 4 GB RAM;

well i want to install Manjaro - linux version 18.04

well the question is - do i need UEFI for instlaling manjaro or not..

furthermore: How to enter the BIOS configuration of my Notebook?

regarding the setup:

efi
uefi
bios

- i will do further investigations and will come back here..

meanwhile - many many thanks for the continued help..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:12 AM

modi123_1, he got an answer to that here https://www.dreaminc...ost__p__2393733

EFI and UEFI are not the same thing. And one is dependent of the other for OS installs for the likes of Windows. Check the answer you received on the other topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:25 AM

UEFI is a part of your computer platform that runs checks on your system, such as Power, random access memory, cpu etc etc and the use of UEFI depends solely on the motherboard technology used on your PC. If your motherboard uses UEFI, it will be preference'd over your BIAS, and thus require EFI as a boot storage partition to hold the necessary tables, keys and other data for a MBR (Master Boot Record), and without this, your PC won't be able to execute the partition needed to run the Operating system. As I said on my other post, it depends on the software you're installing as well as the hardware framework your motherboard was programmed with. See https://en.wikipedia...mware_Interface and https://en.wikipedia...ystem_partition for more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:55 PM

hello dear Sheepings and hello dear Modi.

many many thanks for the EFI & UEFI-infos here.

....may i come back to the hibernation-device UUID xyz not found -> dropped into emergency shell.

well may i follow the ideas below for getting the things fixed:

How do I change UUID of a disk to whatever I want?
https://askubuntu.co...whatever-i-want

I have an unique situation where I need to change UUID of usb flash drive to previous UUID. I formatted it and obviously number changed...

I've ubuntu server setup with 1TB hdd, and 4GB usb flash drive to boot from. Grub on hdd is configured for UUID which changed when I formated usb drive and reinstalled ubuntu server. I've no external monitor, so I attach usb to laptop and install server there... than I move it to server hardware.

As I mentioned my problem is that I need usb to go back to previous UUID, otherwise server won't boot. And I cannot get external monitor till monday! :)

I know I need these files changed afterwards:

The files for which UUID is most critical:
/boot/grub/menu.lst

/etc/fstab

/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

But I cannot find anywhere on the net info about customizing UUID.
Anyone?

If you used ext for it:
tune2fs /dev/{device} -U {uuid}

From man tune2fs
    -U UUID

Set the universally unique identifier (UUID) of the filesystem to UUID. The format of the UUID is a series of hex digits separated by hyphens, like this: c1b9d5a2-f162-11cf-9ece-0020afc76f16. The UUID parameter may also be one of the following:

clear  clear the filesystem UUID
random generate a new randomly-generated UUID
time   generate a new time-based UUID

The UUID may be used by mount(8), fsck(8), and /etc/fstab(5) (and possibly others) by specifying UUID=uuid instead of a block special device name like /dev/hda1.

I realize this is kind of an old question, but I found there was a new change, and this was what google snooped up for me, so I'll post the answer I found here.

when I tried to change my root filesystem's uuid (to a well known beginning and a serial number suffix) on new 14.04 ubuntu, I found to my horror tune2fs reported back: I can't do that to mounted file systems. I depend on being able to use a template image with a well known uuid, and change each install to a serialized uuid. I found the problem wasn't insurmountable.

There's a flag that needs to be disabled, to allow mounted-uuid changes with the new tune2fs. this is what my process looked like:

[email protected]:~# blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="2ec827b0-72be-4c73-b58a-102a37aa24a3" TYPE="ext4"
[email protected]:~# uuid="deafcafe-abba-daba-deca-fc0ffee05065"
[email protected]:~# root_disk=$(df /|grep /|cut -d' ' -f1)
[email protected]:~# echo $root_disk
/dev/sda1
[email protected]:~# tune2fs -U $uuid $root_disk
tune2fs 1.42.9 (4-Feb-2014)
The UUID may only be changed when the filesystem is unmounted.
[email protected]:~# tune2fs -O ^uninit_bg $root_disk
[email protected]:~# tune2fs -U $uuid $root_disk
[email protected]:~# tune2fs -O +uninit_bg $root_disk
[email protected]:~# df -h /
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1       7.3G  3.9G  3.0G  58% /
[email protected]:~# blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="deafcafe-abba-daba-deca-fc0ffee05065" TYPE="ext4"
[email protected]:~#

and besides this

For xfs see man xfs_admin
xfs_admin -U {uuid} {device}

{uuid} can be 'generate' to just get a new uuid.

For reiserfs see man tunefs.reiserfs
tunefs.reiserfs -i {uuid} {device}

For btrfs it seems the uuid is used thoughout the file systems so every node have to be updated. There is no safe way to do that yet.

see for all - here https://www.dreaminc...&f=195&t=415435

well may we separate the discussion between the two topics of #

a. EFI & UEFI and
b. to hibernation-device UUID xyz not found -> dropped into emergency shell

look forward to hear from you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:20 PM

What's up with the massive quote? I advised against this, yet you seem to think it'll be an easy fix and I won't be offering free help for this issue. There is likely a lot to fix here my friend, especially if you got dropped to emergency shell. Like, that's not good lol

This is how I make money as a commercially paid engineer. Maybe someone else wants to contribute for free with this problem. But I ain't because there will be lots to fix, and to much going back and forwards on the forum. I advise, taking your laptop to a store and ask them to try restore it for you.

In regards splitting the topic, that is up to the moderators and I don't see any reason for it to be split, since the issues are related to each other. You wouldn't have been reinstalling had you not crashed to an emergency shell.

I wish you luck getting it fixed.

This post has been edited by Sheepings: 23 March 2019 - 06:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:44 AM

dear sheepings,

sorry do not get me wrong here-

to reinstall the notebook is no big thing for me.

i use knoppix to safe the data.

due to the fact that there are not to much data on it - this will take only 30 min.

i __shared__ this ideas regarding Hibernation and Emergency-shell since i know that others visit this place too

i regard this forum as a place to share ideas with others - and therefore i post this findings here....

- idea exchange
- knowledge transfer
- sharing of insights

that said - i strongly advice to see the net (and especially such idea- and knowldgee exchange fourums as this here - dreamincode is one... - as a system and processes of knowledge making ... and as a system with ecology of agents, artifacts, rules, resources, activities, practices and interactions.
subsequently and in order to grasp its dynamic features we consider such projects - as i regard this forum here as interactive systems based on dense interactions between humans - to share ideas and finally create new ideas nad knoweldge..

dear sheepings- and for the record: i do not need to fix the hibernation thing now - i reinstall the system. but for the sake of idea sharing i like this forum..

dear sheepings - have a great day.

:bigsmile:

- BTW: i do not want ot divide the discussions between uefi and hibernation -.. it is not necessary.
@the mods: there is no need to divide the topics. all is good - no need to worry.

good reading: that explain the above mentioned ideas a bit furhter

Learning and Knowledge-building in Open-source Communities: A Social-experiential Approach
https://journals.sag...350507606063442
Andrea Hemetsberger, Christian Reinhardt

Open-source communities are innovative online communities, some of which have recently attracted increasing attention. The study suggests that members of innovative online communities learn and build collective knowledge through the use of ‘technologies’ and the establishment of discursive practices that enable virtual re-experience. Theories of knowledge creation and learning have been reviewed and a social-experiential view of learning has been applied in order to examine the reflective inquiry processes and collective learning practices. The findings demonstrate that re-experience is enabled by code, transactive group memory, instructive content and discourse, and reflective discourse. The manifestations of learning processes lead to concrete experience, reflective observation, abstract conceptualization, and active experimentation at the individual level. Collective reflection, collective conceptualization, virtual experimentation, and participative practice are initiated at the social level. Empirical evidence is based on an interpretive investigation of the K Desktop Environment (KDE) community—an open-source software project that is administered online.

David Hippel
Open Source Software: Innovation By and For Users – No Manufacturer Required!
http://ebusiness.mit...0innovation.pdf
MITSloan School of Management

David Hippel
Innovation by User Communities: Learning From Open-Source Software
https://sloanreview....ource-software/

The Knowledge Ecology of Open-Source Software Projects Giovan Francesco Lanzara* and Michèle Morner**
http://citeseerx.ist...p=rep1&type=pdf

The Knowledge Ecology of Open-Source Software Projects Giovan Francesco Lanzara* and Michèle Morner** * Dipartimento di Organizzazione e Sistema Politico Università di Bologna Via de’ Bersaglieri 6 I – 40125 Bologna E-Mail:

Abstract In this paper we characterize the processes of knowledge making in open-source software projects as an ecology of agents, artifacts, rules, resources, activities, practices and interactions. In order to grasp its dynamic features we consider open-source software projects as interactive systems based on dense interactions between humans and technical artifacts within electronic media. Technology, rather than formal or informal organization, embodies most of the conditions for governance in open-source software projects, hence becoming a critical pathway to the understanding of collective task accomplishment, coordination and knowledge making processes. Based on an in-depth analysis of two open-source software projects, we examine three kinds of artifacts, respectively inscribing technical, organizational, and institutional knowledge. The artifacts are 'dynamic vehicles' that make knowledge creation, accumulation, and dissemination possible by circulating throughout the Internet. For each of them we describe the different activities and the network dynamics in which they are embedded. Our preliminary findings support the ecological view, that the contradictory requirements of innovation and stability in project-based knowledge making are balanced by mechanisms of variation, selection, and stabilization.

again enjoy the day :bigsmile:

This post has been edited by sayhello: 24 March 2019 - 06:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1