5 Replies - 517 Views - Last Post: 26 March 2019 - 07:49 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Automatically Updating Skills Rankings

Posted 24 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

I recently retired from the Army and got this great job as a process engineer. I build Use Case stories for the developers based on my experience with the military. I have a question that I just need guidance on what to do or where I need to go to develop the business rules/ logic for a predictive model for this project to give to the developers... an organization is rated A (very best), A- (better), B (Good), B-(Marginal) and C (Failed/ Untrained). The organizations with an A are rated on their team efforts on Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSA). If over time, say 6 months they do not use those particular KSAs their rating will be dropped to the next lower rating a A-. After one year they are dropped to the lowest rating a C. How do I write a Business Rule with that logic in it? Additionally, I will need to do it for key unfilled management & employee positions within the same organization using the same rating system of A, A-, ... C.

This is a great learning position and I appreciate anything anyone has to offer.

Terry

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 24 March 2019 - 07:15 PM
Reason for edit:: Renamed title to be more descriptive

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Automatically Updating Skills Rankings

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Automatically Updating Skills Rankings

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:11 PM

This is the way I would tackle this, but I would love too hear how others would approach the same problem:

Choose a decay function: linear or exponential, and have as one bit of metadata related to the initial rating: the date when the rating was established.

Each time a team uses a skill, reset the establishment date, and if appropriate, the updated skill level or the initial rating (in case they identify improvement or decline themselves).

Depending on your decay function, at set intervals, update the "computed" rating.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:11 AM

Skydiver, thank you so much for the reply and help. How would a linear decay function work, is each task assigned a linear function and then they are compared to each other to get the resultant?

Additionally, they way I picture this project is that each member of the team has individual tasks that make up the overall task, for instance; an employee who has not completed position specific training such as an IT guy who is not aware of how to install the latest update to the network because he was not trained or afforded the opportunity to learn the specifics in installing said update. That install maybe the smaller but essential task needed for a larger task the team needs to complete.

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 25 March 2019 - 01:27 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed unnecessary quote. No need to quote the post above yours.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:31 PM

I guess it wasn't obvious (to me) from your original post that individual tasks rolled up to make up an organization's rating. I'll need to think on that a bit more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:25 AM

Do the individual tasks have particular weights, or each equally important?

Also how does that affect a particular organization where they have at A rating, but they suddenly get a new hire? Does that organizations rating suddenly go down to a B or C on the new hire's first day of employment simply because the new individual has not yet accomplished any of the tasks assigned to them?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:49 AM

The individual tasks are weighted equally. If it is a new hire with no experience, they will have the basic criteria of individual task training and knowledge prior to coming to the team, however, they will not have the skill/ experience of the culminating event (all the different tasks and skills of each player coming together as a team to complete the project level task) then drop from an A to an A-. If they are receiving a new hire with experience from another organization or from within side their own organization and have completed the team task level events within X amount of time then no change, remain an A, if completed but not within X time then drop to A-.

Thank you for these engaging questions, I want more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1