9 Replies - 383 Views - Last Post: 27 March 2019 - 06:35 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Picking up programming again, trying to choose C or C++

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:07 PM

I recently resurrected my old account here, finally picking up programming again after years of being hyper-busy with other stuff. Because I am tired of being a novice for years and years after I picked up programming due to how busy I am with my job and other things, and being a compulsive quitter who gives up for months or years after getting confused and discouraged.

Anyways, I thought to start with C and then move up to C++, since C is such a timeless language. But then I mostly do multimedia projects (games, demos, etc.) and most modern APIs like SDL are designed for C++, which seems to be more widely used these days anyways. Plus I am more familiar in general with object-oriented languages. So I am torn between wanting to learn C first and get the full programming experience under my belt, and jumping straight to the language that is more immediately practical for me to learn when working with SDL and various game engines.

I am open to hearing what you all have to say.

This post has been edited by DashProject: 27 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Picking up programming again, trying to choose C or C++

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Picking up programming again, trying to choose C or C++

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:16 PM

So I am torn between wanting to learn C first and get the full programming experience

I am not sure what that means, or more specifically what you believe that means.

If you foresee yourself needing C++ more then learn c++.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:18 PM

Alright, I will learn C++ first. I can always go back and learn C later.

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 27 March 2019 - 03:26 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed unnecessary quote. No need to quote the post above yours.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:23 PM

Also - welcome back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:16 PM

Thanks. I just found a C++ book on my shelf, I started reading up on it again.

So glad to be coding once more.

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 27 March 2019 - 03:25 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed unnecessary quote. No need to quote the post above yours.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:18 PM

I thought to start with C and then move up to C++

Do you know that there are other languages that may be more suitable such as C#, Python, and many others.

But if you're just interested in C or C++ then I suggest C++ instead of C if you're interested in graphics/games.

I just found a C++ book on my shelf,

Hopefully that book isn't more than a couple of years old. There have been some rather big changes in the C++ language in recent years and there is another major change in the works (C++20).

Jim

This post has been edited by jimblumberg: 27 March 2019 - 02:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:38 PM

I am interested in learning C++ mostly because it's cross-platform and fast, and it is currently the language I know the most of (I used to make simple graphical programs in SDL off of tutorials and still understood most of what my code was doing.)

Dang, this book's from 2005. But if the languages themselves keep changing then I'm probably not gonna go out and buy myself a new book, considering how slow I've been teaching myself all of these years. How else do you think I should get started?

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 27 March 2019 - 03:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:27 PM

DashProject: Welcome back!

You may not remember, but the custom in this forum is not to quote the post directly above yours. If you must quote, do like above where they trimmed down the quote to the specific thing they wanted to address. Otherwise, just use the big Reply button or the Fast reply area.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:09 PM

Dang, this book's from 2005.

Yes, any book prior to 2011/12 are probably a little obsolete, in 2011 was the first major update of the C++ language.

2011 is also the year of the last major change to the C language.

I used to make simple graphical programs in SDL off of tutorials and still understood most of what my code was doing.

Okay, but don't be surprised if SDL has also changed since the last time you played with it.

But if the languages themselves keep changing then I'm probably not gonna go out and buy myself a new book, considering how slow I've been teaching myself all of these years.

The world is always changing and if you're really serious about learning the language you may want to consider a new book that covers the "Modern" C/C++ languages. A lot of the changes to these languages make the languages easier to use and even improve safety by depreciating and removing unsafe classes and functions.

How else do you think I should get started?

My recommendation is to get a good modern C++ book.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:35 PM

I will probably invest in an online C++ course. I've found several after shopping around earlier. That way I know the material is up to date without buying a hunk of paper that could be rendered obsolete in a few years if I don't master it all before the next big C++ update. And the structure of a course would be better for me than trying to do everything myself, especially on top of all the other responsibilities in my life.

In the meantime, I can probably still use these old books to refresh my memory on what I already do know. I'm already fairly good at math and pretty much know the ins and outs of syntax, and all of the core essentials of the C family of languages (variables, loops, functions, etc.,) just that knowledge quickly breaks down when I encounter logic I'm not familiar with, and I could definitely stand to improve quite a bit in actually creating complex programs from scratch. The most intricate program I've ever written was a simple text-based adventure game back in 2012, which I admittedly never finished. Would love to finish that someday. I may share the source code in another topic once I've jogged my memory and try to get it finished.

This post has been edited by DashProject: 27 March 2019 - 06:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1