4 Replies - 1149 Views - Last Post: 05 April 2019 - 05:15 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best way to go about storing/retrieving files remotely via Java app?

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:09 PM

Greetings,

I haven't posted here in years but figured I'd ask for your guidance. My team and I are working on an internal signature verification java application and have a desire to securely store the signature files on a remote server that is accessible by the application. This would be a situation where potentially tens of thousands of signature files would be stored. Problem is we don't have a lot of experience with this particular scenario so could use a nudge in the right direction. We were told to do some research on the subject and while I've spent several hours looking into databases/repositories, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around where to begin and how to implement it into the app. I've read up on MongoDB, Apache Derby/Jackrabbit, and SQLite and how those work but I'm just a bit confused on how that ties in and relates to remote repositories and the app needing to retrieve or store the sig files. I'm not even entirely sure if I'm on the right track looking into those things. +1 if the method used is also compatible with c++ apps since we will be developing the same app with that language as well.

Any help, suggestions, or direction into the right area for research would be greatly appreciated, if I was too vague let me know if I can make it more clear.

Thanks!

This post has been edited by kellzor: 04 April 2019 - 02:17 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best way to go about storing/retrieving files remotely via Java app?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best way to go about storing/retrieving files remotely via Java app?

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:21 PM

You could use a secure FTP (SFTP), but if the servers are not public facing/accessible you could just have a folder on a server and a database table that has relevant information and path to the file in question.

A bit better than converting the files into binary arrays and storing those.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:57 PM

My team and I are working on an internal signature verification java application and have a desire to securely store the signature files on a remote server that is accessible by the application.

Of course, security of storage and security of transport are two different things. But actually, signatures are properly verified using public keys, so i'm not sure why security is an issue ...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2019 - 03:13 PM

Sorry if my semantics were off, because I'm sorta new to this whole concept, but we are using a keyless signature infrastructure instead of PKI. We are in the earliest phase of planning so "securely" was more of a filler word I wasn't sure was necessary or not. Thanks though modi, I'll look into that, maybe I was overthinking it.

This post has been edited by kellzor: 04 April 2019 - 03:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2019 - 05:15 AM

For storing secrets you can take a look at Vault by HashiCorp. I am not sure I fully understand the problem so I dont think I can comment any further.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1