2 Replies - 769 Views - Last Post: 05 June 2019 - 08:32 PM

#1 BetaWar   User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Hyperlink auditing to be enabled by default in major browsers soon

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:51 AM

https://www.bleeping...g-privacy-risk/

For those of you that enjoy your privacy online, ti looks like major browsers are about to make it that much more difficult by enabling hyperlink auditing by default. These browsers include Chrome, Safari, and Opera. By enabling the ping= attribute in hyperlinks, a post request containing the page that the request came from, as well as the link's destination can be sent to an arbitrary URL without alerting the user to it happening (no visual indication is present to let you know that the click was tracked).

Firefox and Brave browsers appear to disable the feature by default, and claim that they have no plans (at least currently) of enabling it by default; but they appear to be the only two I have heard of. With that all being said, Firefox may wind up winning me back after all... assuming they can get up to some of the current web standards that I am using in my development (multi-column support for instance).

And, for your viewing pleasure. What did the fox say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuZBfX2mW7s

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Hyperlink auditing to be enabled by default in major browsers soon

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hyperlink auditing to be enabled by default in major browsers soon

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:18 AM

So the information for the start and the end get shot to some other location for collection?!

I wonder if I can make a browser plugin to grab that information a little more easy. It would make for interesting historical review of my.. ah.. video.. for science.. watching habits and trends.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hyperlink auditing to be enabled by default in major browsers soon

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:32 PM

Speaking of browser plugins, what's to prevent Adblock or some other plugin from just scanning and stripping away the ping attributes on <a> elements?

I vaguely recall my team implementing a hack several years ago when the company needed to move to using FQDNs, but over 90% of the content we hosted in SharePoint used short names. So in the master page we inserted some Javascript which looked for <a> elements with short names in the href attributes' URLs, and replaced the short names with FQDNs.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1