7 Replies - 883 Views - Last Post: 18 April 2019 - 03:04 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Best place to review data structures/algorithms?

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:19 AM

I'm getting ready to take our Software Engineering and Intro to OS's & networking, and wondered if anyone knew a good place to review data structures and algorithms? I know I'm also going to have to go back to learning c++ since the latter class uses that(which is kinda out of the blue since we've used java up to this point).

I know part of it I'm going to try and go through matyr2's list I found a long time ago of projects but anything extra would be great at this point since because of what classes I've had to take I haven't taken anything that's been exactly programming related :helpsmilie:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best place to review data structures/algorithms?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best place to review data structures/algorithms?

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:59 AM

Oddly - wikipedia has a super good list and base level implementation of the bulk.

https://en.wikipedia...data_structures
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:18 PM

Kinda forgot about wikipedia as a source. I guess I'll try to bookmark that at least and go through matyr2's list. Since just asked what the other class is and they said it was ruby so that's going to be fun :sarcasm:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:08 PM

OpenDSA is an extremely thorough resource. KYA also has a C++ specific data structures resource thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:20 PM

Oooo that OpenDSA one looks perfect and they seem to have pretty good explanations at least on binary search ^_^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:50 AM

I'm not sure about the purpose of reviewing individual algorithms. What are you trying to learn here?

I would suggest looking at a good book on algorithms generally. Cormen et al has become a good standard text, and covers enough different algorithms in detail to make it a useful source book. In tandem with that, I would suggest practice, using for example the algorithms track at rosalind.info or a decent problem set like adventofcode.com. A textbook will give you an overview of a number of useful algorithms and point you from the algorithms to some problems that are easily solved with those algorithms. The purpose of a problem set is to exercise your understanding of algorithms in the opposite direction: given an arbitrary problem, you need to figure out what sorts of algorithms would be useful in solving that problem. In this regard, I usually find it most useful to think about how I can best represent the data the problem is concerned with, and then think about what sorts of algorithms work well with that sort of data. That is, it's not very helpful to study algorithms on their own, it's important to study algorithms in the context of the data structures that they work on.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:36 AM

It's most just trying to review the concepts. The book we had used in the DS class we had(which I don't have access too) and what projects they gave us in class didn't help to cement in any meaningful way the concepts I feel like I should know at this point. Especially to the point I feel as though I'm behind a lot of the people that are basically on the same level as where I should be at this point. I'm trying to get done with my schooling by 2021 and HOPEFULLY have a job lined up. (since I'm taking both our Computer Science w/concentration in 'Robotics, AI and Gaming' and doubling in Japanese). I know the big thing is to work on personal projects or OSS stuff but I can never find anything with a simple enough issue that I can fix. At this point it feels like I'm spinning my wheels if I don't get some kind of basic cheat sheet made up and figure out stuff I can do to put on my github(darsparx) at this point other than the gh-pages site I've been attempting to get up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Salem_c   User is online

• void main'ers are DOOMED
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:04 AM

I found this one to be of particular interest as well.
https://xlinux.nist.gov/dads/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1