7 Replies - 708 Views - Last Post: 08 May 2019 - 11:39 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Beginner Website Design : What route to take?

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:52 PM

So basically I've always wanted to delve inside website design programming languages, but due to not having an actual project
in mind to use it for I struggled to commit to tutorials. I'll explain what I want to do, but my problem is information overload and not
sure which route to take to achieve this project.

What I want to do is host an website from my home Wamp server which only I will have access to. I want it to be like a general hub
of my life which I can grow is time passes on. For instances I would like to start with a login interface which would take me to the homepage
where the first feature I would want to implement is an "Overtime" section which I want to use to log my work overtime in and store it in a database.

I have no idea where to start and hope someone would be able to assist me in the direction I have to take there is too many languages and I'm unsure
what would be suitable. So I would guess to start off with HTML,CSS and PHP for the general website design? and SQL for storing the information on the server?
Now there's Javascript, Node.JS and 100's of other languages and have no idea which one to commit to. I would just like to have a section on the site which
will allow me to fill in a form with date, time and description and be able to view each months overtimes and totals.

Any idea what would be the best route? Also the best online resource (Please not Youtube) to learn the relevant skills from?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Beginner Website Design : What route to take?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Beginner Website Design : What route to take?

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:31 PM

What I want to do is host an website from my home Wamp server which only I will have access to.

Is this intended to be accessible from the web? I would advise against that. WAMP is great for development testing on a local machine.

. So I would guess to start off with HTML,CSS and PHP for the general website design?

Sure.. HTML/CSS/JS for your 'client side' and some server side language to interact with the DB and set up things.. php, python, perl, ruby, ASP.NET, etc all would work.

and SQL for storing the information on the server?
\
WAMP comes with mysql (or Maria, I forget). Most actual web hosting have one or two DBs to use as well.

Now there's Javascript, Node.JS and 100's of other languages and have no idea which one to commit to

Stick to basic JS or Jquery starting out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:29 AM

Some resources I have used before are Pluralsight, Code School, Udacity. There is a big list here.

I would not use exclusively w3schools, not without significant reference to other resources (e.g. MDN).

And/or get hold of Web Design with HTML, CSS, Javascript and jQuery Set by Jon Duckett.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:59 AM

There are numerous platforms available these days including Udacity, Udemy, Tutorials Point etc. If you're a beginner you should start with W3Schools, and once you start feeling like W3Schools is for noobs then proceed to some authentic course author on different platforms as I mentioned above.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:01 AM

Consider starting with WordPress, it is easy and has a lots of online tutorials, moreover, almost every good hosting provider has WordPress 1-click site installation under their hosting packages, so you just get a web hosting plan, click WordPress in cPanel, install, attach your favourite theme and upload content. Easy as 1,2,3 :)
Consult live support for more information and they'll direct you with the process.

Cheers!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:58 AM

View PostBoksieZA, on 14 April 2019 - 12:52 PM, said:

So I would guess to start off with HTML,CSS and PHP for the general website design? and SQL for storing the information on the server?Any idea what would be the best route? Also the best online resource (Please not Youtube) to learn the relevant skills from?

That's great to start with HTML and CSS.
And I think for online resource Youtube can also a good option for beginners.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:48 PM

Use a CMS -1-. The one you require depends on what life events you will be adding to your website. If you plan on uploading videos, then you will need a CMS with a videos module. Same for pictures and so on... etc, and so, a CMS would be most suitable for you as the modules are obviously modular and easy to edit should you wish to extend on some additional features of your own and it gives you a great starting point. But if you want to do self-hosting, you won't be able to use Cpanel as recommended above. (Not without a licence). It also seems kinda senseless to track your life events if you're not going to share it with the world.

This post has been edited by Sheepings: 03 May 2019 - 05:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:39 PM

You can start creating your web application by following these simple steps.
First of all, you will need to create a folder with the name of your web application inside the ‘htdocs’ folder. Once the folder is created you can call the application on your browser using the following URL
http://localhost/<application folder name here>
By default, the index file is served by the web server whenever the URL does not contain any specific URL. You can put your code for login into the site in this page. You can keep adding pages later on as per your requirements of the project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1