1 Replies - 766 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2019 - 04:32 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Writing a PBX/Desktop/Mobile/Messaging app.

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:20 PM

For starters, I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place and would appreciate the ops moving it to the correct location, if necessary.

I have verrrrryyyyy minimal programming knowledge (vb.net, java, C++, MySQL), and now I'm looking to have an app written that interacts with my Fusionpbx that's available on both desktop and mobile. I'm looking all over upwork for capable developers. What I need the end result to be:

Desktop:
Softphone
IM chat and file/image transfer
Screen sharing
SMS/MMS/Fax send and receive
Video chat

Mobile:
Softphone
IM chat and file/image transfer
SMS/MMS/Fax send and receive
Video chat

So my question is:
What qualifications in a developer should I be looking for?
What programming languages, what databases should I use? I'm avoiding MySQL and XMPP
What pitfalls should I avoid?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This post has been edited by 404notfound: 14 April 2019 - 02:23 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Writing a PBX/Desktop/Mobile/Messaging app.

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Writing a PBX/Desktop/Mobile/Messaging app.

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:32 PM

Hi there!

So there's a lot to digest in this question, but ultimately, the end result is based on what you and your developer think is best for your budget and scalability concerns.

Find someone you trust, ask them what framework they think you should use based on your project plan (is this for a business, for a startup, consumer-facing, internal, etc.).?

Straight-forward answers:
1. A good communicator with not many other projects at the moment. Experienced in building apps that integrate with VOIP systems.
2. We used a Rails + EmberJS combination to create a VOIP system for healthcare purposes with very similar functionality. Used ember-cli to connect Rails backend to Ember frontend. Calls, messages, sending/fetching data was done via API.

Why are you avoiding MySQL? I feel like the database can be relational, thus anything that can be thrown on a cloud server is a-okay. Like with AWS, you can use MongoDB or MySQL easily. There is also the DynamoDB service that may work which is a hosted db on AWS. https://aws.amazon.com/dynamodb/

In most cases, I push to work with ReactNative as the mobile platform and React for the web side if this is consumer-facing. This is more of a native approach if you really want a performant and gorgeous app, but can cost more.

3. Avoid anyone who doesn't communicate well with you. Avoid underestimating testing procedures (we use 30% of dev time to estimate testing and QA time). Avoid someone who pushes for a certain framework without making sure it will integrate with your existing system. Avoid cheap way-outs (they might save you up front, but man you pay it back with the headache later!)

Good luck!

Cruz

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 25 April 2019 - 09:31 AM
Reason for edit:: removed spammy link; removed unnecessary quote.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1